Pioneer 2012 Line of Receivers Preview

D

Dave23

Enthusiast
Sounds good guys, looking forward to putting the VSX-1122-K through its paces and see how it stacks up against the Denon AVR-1913.

JoeSchmuckatell: Interesting story on the shipping. I ordered this unit from Amazon last Friday and paid extra for Saturday delivery so I would have it to play with over the holiday weekend. Well good ol' FedEx screwed up and didn't make the Saturday delivery, which meant I wouldn't get it until Tuesday, yesterday, because of the holiday. Amazon was great to deal with on this - they promptly refunded the full shipping cost and went after FedEx to made sure I had the unit before noon yesterday. Now I have the unit and its DOA. Amazon can't exchange it because it came from another distributor and they cannot guarantee stock (they explained this in an email later yesterday evening) but they did offer a full refund and provided a paid shipping label for the return. Yeah Amazon!

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
@Dave23,
Amazon does pull through at times, very good for you and I'm glad to hear it.

D

Dave23

Enthusiast
First strike against NewEgg. I paid for FedEx Next Day and they shipped FedEx 2nd Day. They claim they shipped using Next Day, however FedEx says no - NewEgg generated 2nd Day service labels.

I have my original invoice which shows I paid for Next Day and I also have FedEx documents showing they, NewEgg, shipped 2nd Day. I've demanded a refund on shipping, but so far no response from NewEgg.

Could they be as bad as e-bay in ripping people off on shipping charges? Stay tuned.

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
NewEgg has always done me right and they actually have a reputation for doing right by the customer, that's why I buy from them so frequently. Have you called them and talked to a person? I would expect them to refund the difference at a minimum if not refunding the entire delivery charge.

D

Dave23

Enthusiast
No phone calls yet, haven't had a chance - but I will. Several e-mails though. So far they claim they shipped it Next Day, but FedEx says no. Bottom line is I paid a premium for shipping so that it would be here today, but at last check it is still sitting in Memphis.

I live in the middle of nowhere and have drive more than a 100 miles to buy things such as decent AV equipment or have it shipped. I've been ripped off so often on shipping that I have absolutely no patience when a company like NewEgg pulls a stunt like this - and then denies they did it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That sucks. Although I'd have trouble taking this advice - try not to waste a whole day trying to fix it because you had to wait an extra day. It should still arrive tomorrow. Once it shows up, the shipping labels will be undeniable to whichever company is in the wrong. It's possible that Newegg submitted next day, but something got messed up, and FedEx thought it was two-day. I really think that Newegg will make it right - and pictures of the shipping labels sent to them should end it if they still think that they did it right.

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
Dave,
Please call them. I'd be shocked if they don't make it right. Try not to take out your frustration on the poor sap on the other end, they didn't try to screw you over and they are likely to give you no grief (nope it won't be me on the other end but I have been on that side of the phone before and it almost a thankless job). I've had shipping issues before with NewEgg and they have always promptly resolved the issue to my satisfaction.

D

Dave23

Enthusiast
Shipping charge related issue with NewEgg finally resolved with a partial refund - after several days of basically 'well, sorry about that.' Online retailers that really understand customer relations, like Crutchfield and Amazon, really spoil you. You forget what it's like dealing with companies that are not really at that level.

At any rate, time to get somewhat back on topic. My initial impression of the Pioneer VSX-1122-K is good, but not as good as the Denon AVR-1913. Pioneer still needs to bring their OSD and configuration process up to the level of the new Denon and Marantz receivers. I really don't see any improvement over the prior year models in that regard. One biggy that they did fix is the HDMI Standby function - it works finally! Sound wise the new Pioneer is excellent with my Definitive Technology SM55 bookshelves and CS-8040HD center channel (don't care for subs, so I don't have one). Although the Denon sounds better at lower levels, a benefit of the Audyssey Dynamic EQ option I suspect. I'll try out both AVR's with a pair of Polk Audio TSi400 towers and a CS10 center later in the week.

I'm certainly no expert and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in months, so I simply go with what my ears tell me. Right now they're indicating that it may be time to switch to Denon after using Pioneer gear pretty exclusively since the early 70's (well, except for that horrendous early 80's 'ugly-tan' fiasco).

K

keano016

Audiophyte
I have a questions for 1122 owners. This receiver has Zone B and Zone 2 capabilities. Can the system work when Zone B and Zone 2 are both working at the same time?

I have a 5.1 set up in my TV room, 2 more speakers in the kitchen which at times I would like them to play the TV sound/music so a 7.1 configuration or stereo would be fine.

I also have 2 speakers on the deck which I would like to control from a separate output (media library/pandora/internet radio)

I have read the manual and it does not show a configuration when both Zone B and Zone 2 are on. Would appreciate any feedback from an actual owner of this receiver.

Suggestions for another receiver that can do this would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis