Pineer surround question.

T

Tdoriot

Audiophyte
Hi All, I just changed out my theater amp for a Pioneer VSX-1023k AV Reciever. This unit has 7.1 sound. Interestingly enough it has output terminals for front height as well as surround and back surround. I've temped in front height and rear surround as well as side rear surround. My predominant movie watching is high visual and sound impact movies. It seems that I can't employ all 9 speakers together. I guess this would be a 9.1 instead of a 7.1 ! I get to choose front height or back rear surround speakers. I've tried both setups and it seems that much more impact comes from the dual rear surround setup as opposed to the front height. I'd appreciate comments from those experts that are familiar with this setup. Thanks.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
In my experience, very little sound comes from the rear surrounds... even less from front high/wide. By far most surround sound comes from the sides. I get the occasional door knock or floor creak that is easily distinguished as coming from the rears, but mostly it is just low background noise. Most movies, even BluRay are 5.1, but the ones that are 7.1 add the rears, not the front high/wides. Bottom line, most of what you hear from the rears or front high/wides will be artificially produced by your receiver, and will not be enough in either case to make you say, "Wow!!!".

So how else might you use the additional speakers? In my case, it is when we have people over and I want to fill the room with soft music while avoiding a loud area near the front speakers. Then I use the multi-channel, (instead of stereo). Placement of the rears means I get pretty good whole-room coverage of "stereo" music. If I placed front highs or wides instead of rears, the multi-channel music would have 4 speakers in the front of the room, (main L/R and front high or wide), 2 speakers in the middle of the room, (surround L/R), and nothing in the back.

Some people say they like the front high/wides, and they really "open up" the sound. Others say not so much. If you only have 7.1 or 7.2, I suggest setting up with surround rears. Later if you go to 9.1, you can add the high/wide.

Just my 0.02

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
What herbu said, but I will emphasize: Prioritize good 5.1 (or 5.2) sound - don't sacrifice quality here for anything else. A good 5.1 system is much better than a compromised 7.1 or 9.1, etc. For example, I would definitely prioritize a dual-subwoofer setup for better, more even bass vs. any of the additional speakers in 7.1 or other options.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hi and welcome! I have the surrounds and highs and enjoy them, especially with planes and helicopters. I use the 2 pairs of Wharfedale WH2(Ebay for about $100 a pair) for surround/high and they sound great. I hooked them up last year. This movie will have you amazed: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377062/

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I have the surrounds and highs and enjoy them
I'm jealous... but the OP's question is: If you had to chose the rears OR the highs, which would it be? He's got 7.1 and trying to decide.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm jealous... but the OP's question is: If you had to chose the rears OR the highs, which would it be? He's got 7.1 and trying to decide.
He should try both.:D

T

Tdoriot

Audiophyte
Thanks to all who took the time to answer. At this juncture I am going to add the rear side speakers, prep for the front high for the next receiver. I've played the latest StarTrek (into Darkness) and was surprised at time with things going on in the background. So, that's the plan for the moment. Thanks Everyone for your sage advice. Much appreciated.

M

MrHeadGear

Enthusiast
Tdoriot, there you go. Asked and answered. As with so many questions, the answer is "Whichever sounds better to you". ;)
agree. Different people has different taste of sound quality :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis