Philips Ambilight LCD TVs

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Philips LCD HDTV shipping with "Ambilight" Technlogy

Here's a link:

http://www.av-review.com/review_t933.html

According to consumer testing conducted by Philips, 86 percent of consumers said the lighting provided a more relaxing viewing experience, and 95 percent of consumers said a better picture was created with the Ambient Lighting than without.

Ambilight technology sensors determine how much light is in the room and controls the TV light output accordingly – a dark room will trigger less light whereas a bright room will cause more light output. Ambilight technology dramatically reduces glare and reflections on the television screen by screening light sources that strike the front of the set. The light also reduces eyestrain thus providing a more relaxing viewing experience for consumers.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Nothing like a good gimmick to up the sales - women can start swooning now.

Philips is that company that produces the Pronto, then manages to also product TV's, DVD players, and VCRs that don't have discrete on and off... right?

I think I'll buy from someone else thanks.

Philips showed off some really impressive 32-, 37- and 42-inch LCD TVs with their new Ambilight technology. Ambilight technology is background lighting tht emanates from the back of the television onto the wall, but that isn't all. The user can adjust the light intensity and color to either red, green, blue or a combination thereof to fit the consumer’s personal preference. In addition, consumers can select one of five preset lighting effects - one of which bases the lighting content on the screen content as represented by a percentage of red, green or blue active pixels (color intensity follows the on-screen content as well). When the television is in the off position, the lighting can be used to provide a unique ambience for the room. Pretty cool to say the least.

Read the CEDIA Report

Attachments

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
How could you? I made this thread a few days ago... :(

*cries*

While this seems to be 95% gimmick, it's still pretty cool. Now if you could set it up to provide a glow while the TV is off, just to give the HT a cool lighting effect, that would be awesome. Of course, you could also just DIY with some custom lighting... :cool:

Oops. It does work while the set is off. There is also an ample amount of studies that shows that ambient light reduces eye strain - so this might not be as much gimmick as you think. I can't speak for the nature of the light, however or if it is beneficial to the picture to introduce color behind the set. I'd like to check it out, though. My first instinct is that it's flat out cool.

PS. I merged the threads...

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
Definately cool, but still a gimmick

The TV sits in my friends living room, it cool but after a while seems annoying. The only time he gets the wow effect is if the darn thing if off, with just the ambient light on during a party. As for watching a movie it sometimes is distracting, I catch myself looking at the wall. It draws attention away from the screen on certain occasions. has anyone else experienced this???????????????

U

Unregistered

Do the lights pulse with the music or are they just on and you can select the color?

If they pulse with the music that would be horrific for your eyes.

Ambient light is beneficial for your eyes so the pupil doesn't have to constantly adjust for light and dark scenes but you want pretty much the entire area behind the screen bathed in soft light, not some little dome of light on each side of the screen, regardless of its color.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis