Phantom Miracle Speaker.... OH BOY!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So much BS on the home page, I'm afraid to click any links for fear of a virus!:eek:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
A fool and their money are easily parted!
Apparently the company is funded by multi billionaires who are just bored to tears. They've budgeted 25 million to market this $2000 bluetooth speaker.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting article on wired.

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/review-devialet-phantom-2/

Wired said:
The Phantom boasts some insane numbers: 16Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB, 20Hz to 20kHz ± 0.5dB. While the highs and mids are certainly as good as advertised, it’s those infrasound waves that drop jaws and defy logic.
This company is also responsible for the D200 integrated amplifier, which I had seen AbsoluteSound reviewed sometime earlier this year. Of course it was Robert Harley (he's a snake oil dancer).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I want to see measurements!!!

However, don't be too quick to discount phantom products!
My phantom center:
1) Literally disappears into the room, never calling attention to itself,
2) Has transparency far surpassing any non-phantom speaker,
3) Is 100% free of all distortion,
4) Doesn't even begin to challenge the power output of my AVR,
5) Blends perfectly into any room decor,
6) Has no crossover artifacts,
7) Is totally immune to thermal compression,
8) Phase and impedance are ruler flat across across the audio spectrum,
9) Is wireless and loss-less,
10) Has dispersion that allows it to be placed anywhere (even outside) with no impact on sound quality!

I am very happy with it, especially since it was free. Had it cost $2000, I would be having second thoughts!;)

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The more research I do on this the more legitimate it appears. While some of their claims are dubious, it may well change home audio.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I want to see third party measurements!
Why don't they explain the scientific breakthroughs that make this product viable? It sure is not viable by conventional measures!
Are they talking for very very nearfield use only?

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I want to see third party measurements!
Why don't they explain the scientific breakthroughs that make this product viable? It sure is not viable by conventional measures!
Are they talking for very very nearfield use only?
No, every video demonstration I've seen has them setup in medium to large rooms. That includes people who have them in their homes. The company is legitimate, and well funded.

Adam said:
I kind of want one.
I kind of want two. :D

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Very interesting...I suppose that technology has to eventually overcome the "speaker" as we know it. Maybe this is the beginning of a whole new era in home audio. Peace and goodwill.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The website goes on and on about the new miracle technologies in these speakers, but there is not one measurements nor is there one meaningful spec about it. 105 dB? At what distance? In-room or outdoors? If the response is so flat, why not post a FR chart? Why no distortion chart? Why is there zero objective information about how this thing sounds?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The website goes on and on about the new miracle technologies in these speakers, but there is not one measurements nor is there one meaningful spec about it. 105 dB? At what distance? In-room or outdoors? If the response is so flat, why not post a FR chart? Why no distortion chart? Why is there zero objective information about how this thing sounds?
105dB measurement is at 1 meter. I also posted the FR earlier in the thread.

The Phantom boasts some insane numbers: 16Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB, 20Hz to 20kHz ± 0.5dB. While the highs and mids are certainly as good as advertised, it’s those infrasound waves that drop jaws and defy logic.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
105dB measurement is at 1 meter. I also posted the FR earlier in the thread.
The FR is a claim, it is not a measurement. I don't trust those claims, furthermore, none of the technology is actually explained. They say what they do, but they don't say how they accomplish it. I doubt we will ever see third party verification of the claims of this wonder product.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am pretty cynical. If they really have a breakthrough technology, they should be bragging on it (after patenting it - which they claim to have many patents).
If they could establish that they have figured out a new (and better) way to produce sound why don't they?

From their website (the bold is mine):
Uncover the richness of songs you have heard a thousand times in all their amplitude, from sub bass at 16hz to ultra sharp sound at 25kHz with no background noise, no saturation, no distortion, all that up to 3000 Watts and 105 Decibels of power.
Reminds me of an ad reading "save up to 90%"!
I would not interpret their statement to mean it produces 16Hz at 105dB, but, rather, that it produces 105dB at some frequency between 16Hz and 25kHz.

M

Mihai

Enthusiast
Did anyone had a chance to test this....? I'm considering buying one(and later upgrade up to 11.1 :) online though I don't have the chance to test it.

Mihai.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Would really like to see some serious measurements from these to see if there is anything true about them. For sure it sounds too good to be real, even for that price range. Would stay far away from those things, tho at least they offer free trials.. Maybe some one should get one and test it and share results?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis