Performance on a graph

N

neznarf

Audioholic Intern
I've been looking around a little at Ascend, Athena, Axiom, PSB, Energy, NHT,
for speaker system for my (HK) AVR-525, and ran across this website.
If you are wondering how a bookshelf compares to a floor stander, or how
different brands compare, check this out. I don't know much about speakers
yet, but I think the graphs showing frequency drop-off and THD + Noise
might be relevant if you have narrowed down your search but can't make up your mind.

http://www.audiovideonews.com/speakermeasurements.html

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know how to read them, but thanks for the link. Glad to see my brand had one entry, if that matters. :D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
:eek: The Wilson Audio WATT/Puppy's are some of the best floorstanders out there in the high end category. Amazing reviews, and the graph backs it up.

www.wilsonaudio.com/products/wattpuppy/index.html

Also check out the X1 and XS subwoofer. If and when you have enough dough, this is the route to take for speakers. This is the "I won the lotto and want the ultimate system" purchase. Here's the specs on the X1's:

Enclosure Type:
Woofer: Ported
Mid-Frequency: Closed
High-Frequency: Closed
Woofer: 1 - 15 inch, 1 - 12 inch
Midrange: 2 - 6 inch
Sensitivity: 97 dB (2.83 Volts at 1 meter)
Impedance: 8 Ohms
Minimum Amplifier Power: 20 Watts per channel
Frequency Response: 19.5 Hz - 22.5 kHz (-3dB SPL)

Height: 72 inches
Width: 16.5 inches
Depth: 25.25 inches
System Product Weight (approx.): 1,200 lbs
System Shipping Weight (approx.): 1,818 lbs

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
Buckeye,

Thanks for providing the link to Wilson Audio. I went to their dealer locater and there is a dealer near me. I think I will check them out. I viewed the dealers on line show room of high end equipment and it wowed me. We argue on these forums on Yamaha and Denon and there is a another world, the world of super high end audio and home theater, and 5 to 6 figure cost systems, that trivialize all the babble we argue about with the $700 Yamaha or the $800 Denon units. I just wonder how much better these systems sound compared to all our mass market equipment that we buy? I will let you know if its worth getting a second on my house.

The link for the dealer near me is attached: http://www.brooksberdanltd.com/index.htm

Phil

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
neznarf said:
I've been looking around a little at Ascend, Athena, Axiom, PSB, Energy, NHT,
for speaker system for my (HK) AVR-525, and ran across this website.
If you are wondering how a bookshelf compares to a floor stander, or how
different brands compare, check this out. I don't know much about speakers
yet, but I think the graphs showing frequency drop-off and THD + Noise
might be relevant if you have narrowed down your search but can't make up your mind.

http://www.audiovideonews.com/speakermeasurements.html
I wouldnt let a speaker test in a controled place weigh to much on my buying that speakers. That same test to so that graph in your home could be backwards.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
:eek: The Wilson Audio WATT/Puppy's are some of the best floorstanders out there in the high end category. Amazing reviews, and the graph backs it up.

www.wilsonaudio.com/products/wattpuppy/index.html

Also check out the X1 and XS subwoofer. If and when you have enough dough, this is the route to take for speakers. This is the "I won the lotto and want the ultimate system" purchase. Here's the specs on the X1's:

Enclosure Type:
Woofer: Ported
Mid-Frequency: Closed
High-Frequency: Closed
Woofer: 1 - 15 inch, 1 - 12 inch
Midrange: 2 - 6 inch
Sensitivity: 97 dB (2.83 Volts at 1 meter)
Impedance: 8 Ohms
Minimum Amplifier Power: 20 Watts per channel
Frequency Response: 19.5 Hz - 22.5 kHz (-3dB SPL)

Height: 72 inches
Width: 16.5 inches
Depth: 25.25 inches
System Product Weight (approx.): 1,200 lbs
System Shipping Weight (approx.): 1,818 lbs

Are you nuts? The Athena Technologies S2/P2 Loudspeakers blow those away, at least according to the graphs.

Last edited by a moderator:
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
shokhead said:
I wouldnt let a speaker test in a controled place weigh to much on my buying that speakers. That same test to so that graph in your home could be backwards.

This test was performed in an anechoic chamber with measurements done scientifically. These graphs are simply demonstrating the TRUE frequency response and characteristics of each of these brands. Also, dont forget your listening area is going to effect any speaker you place in it.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
ptalar said:
Buckeye, We argue on these forums on Yamaha and Denon and there is a another world, the world of super high end audio and home theater, and 5 to 6 figure cost systems, that trivialize all the babble we argue about with the $700 Yamaha or the $800 Denon units. I just wonder how much better these systems sound compared to all our mass market equipment that we buy?
Phil
For the most part, it's hype, status and cosmetics that are special; not performance. What makes a 'super high end' amplifier special in performance, for example? Nothing substantiated to be audibly important....

The room(acoustic space), recording and speakers are the most important variables. But even most 'super high end' speakers are not evidenced to worth anywhere near the price. You can just about top off audibly important performance for 8,000-14,000 USD with full range stereo speakers(price dependant on the polar response characteristics you want), or cheaper yet if you instead choose very good two way bookshelf-types and pair them with stereo, actively crossed subwoofers or if you buy a premade direct-from-maker system such as Linkwitz Orion(superb speakers by one of the most noted loudspeaker engineers around). Much cheaper yet if you build a kit from plans/parts...

Finding 'just the right' speaker is not so difficult either, if one realizes the important factors. Once you choose a suitable polar response for your preferences/room and ensure that the speaker performs properly in all other areas(distortion, spl, bandwidth, resonances), you can fine-tune the sound by using a proper high quality digital equalizer(ironic that this type of device is largely shunned by high-end audio).

-Chris

Last edited:
P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
WmAx,

I suspect what you say is the truth. But I will go the local dealer and check the speakers out and see if I am really missing something. Also, I will review some of the other hardware. By the way, I don't plan on mortgaging my house. I would lose my house to my wife in a divorce if she found out I bought $10,000 speakers. Some of you on this board know the power of WAF.

Phil

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, just so you know, the Watt Puppies are $22k. I don't think you can touch a Wilson bookshelf for under $10k. Yeah. The Alexandrias? I think they run around $150k. Of course, when you shell out that kind of cash, Wilson sends a guy out from the factory to set up your system so it sounds good.

Just thought you should know what you're getting into with considering Wilson...

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
The sky is the limit when it comes to Home Theater. I could not justify $150K or $22K for speakers unless I won the lotto or was fabulously rich.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
MacManNM said:
Are you nuts? The Athena Technologies S2/P2 Loudspeakers blow those away, at least according to the graphs.
Fair enough. I missed that measurement. But you have to agree the Watt/Puppies have one heck of an spl rating for all the drivers and power handling. Very esoteric, though. I love the weight of those things. I don't think my floor could support the beasts. Have you seen the crap Athena came out with for the new LCD and Plasma tv's? Boy, did they sell the camp. They look like oversized computer speakers. Here comes another Bose imitator.

Attachments

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Have you seen the crap Athena came out with for the new LCD and Plasma tv's? Boy, did they sell the camp. They look like oversized computer speakers. Here comes another Bose imitator.
I've been lurking around best buy for open box deals on the audition series. There is a coupon on their website for an additional 20% off already discounted open box merchandise. I already got a pair of F1's for $140 a week ago, and finally got to use $30 left on a Gift card from two Christmas' ago. (I don't like shopping at BB) So far I am happy with them, that is I won't be returning them. They are a large step up from the sub/sat system I have. I am enjoying listening to my CD collection again. Low end is good, highs are great, and I am hearing things in some music I never noticed before. Percussion sounds especially good, for example I can really hear the snap of the snare drum. I asked my wife how she thought they sounded, and she said "really clear", which kind of sums it up. There is some weakness to my ears with some male vocals, and certain synth passages. I think there must be a dip in the frequency response somewhere. Placement may also be a factor, as it is not ideal, and can't be until I move. Also, some instruments seem to image almost overhead, which is kind of weird. Again, may be palcement. But for the price I am very satisfied, and thank everyone for the opinions and advice I have harvested here.

I was in again today looking for the center and saw the new line you were talking about. I believe the mains were ~$400/pr and they sounded horrible, not even close th the F1's, which I heard when they were in the same spot. There was also a similar design yamaha, and others with the same form factor. Give the people what they want, I remember the Sony HTiB's that had this form appearing a couple of years ago. The old audition setup was in the clearance section with the demo AS-F1's, center, AS-B1's and the sub for $375. I don't need the sub and I think I go pick it up if they'll sell the setup without the sub. Looks like a pair of F1's for the bedroom.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis