Peculiar problem with new Yamaha RX-V-2500

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I'm still in the process of tweaking this to my tastes, but so far, I'm impressed with this unit. However... there is one thing I've noticed that is slightly annoying. Whenever playing a CD or DVD/DVD-Audio, I've noticed there is approximately a half second of the track that is muted at the beginning of play :confused: .

I've tried messing with the 'Audio Delay' options, which had some, but little effect on correcting this problem, even when increased to the highest value of 240ms. I'm not so sure this would even have any bearing on this problem as I understood it to be for a video sync issue, but it did seem to shorten the amount of muted audio at the beginning of the track. This problem exist using either the coax digital in or the multichannel analogs.

My source is a Samsung DVD-HD950 hooked up via coaxial digital and 5.1 analogs. I did not experience this with my Denon AVR-3803 using both CD and DVD/DVD-Audio, so I'm assuming this is due to something related to the Yamaha. There are no audio delay type of settings on the Samsung. Just for testing purposes, I may set up my Panasonic DVD-F87 with the Yammy to see what results I get.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any suggestions on how this can be corrected?

Thanks in advance... -TD

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
No experience with that particular problem, but it sounds to me like the delay is caused by the processor trying to identify the bitstream. All processors have to do that when the input is set to 'auto'. I don't know if that receiver has a priority scheme to switch between the 5.1 analog inputs and the digital inputs, but if it does that could cause it as it checks to see which input the signal is coming from.

You could try using only the digital connection and disconnect the 5.1 analog inputs for now and see if that has any effect. You could also try changing the input from 'auto' to Dolby Digital to see if it is the auto detection that is causing the delay.

It could be the dvd player as well.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Good ideas..

You're right, MDS, it does sound like the delay could be due to the 'auto' audio input setting, which I'm pretty sure I do have enabled. But, if that's the case, it's pretty cheesy it takes half a second to do this. I'm sure I had this set as such on the Denon and never got this issue.

What stinks is that is occurs on the digital and analog inputs. When listening from CD, I tried both the digital coax inpu and the analog input connections and both exhibited the same behavior. I'm most definitely going to look at this tonight and change the settings and test for results.

I really don't think it's the player. If it were, I would think this would've happened previously using my Denon receiver, but I'll verify this as well as a last resort.

Thanks for the ideas, we'll see... -TD

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Hmm...

Well... I've done some limited testing, but I'm getting even stranger results than I thought. Nothing earth shattering, but odd nevertheless.

Per your suggestion, MDS, I looked at disabling the 'Auto' bistream identifying option, however I cannot disable the 'Auto' input feature when using a digital input, as the only other two options (DTS and Analog) will not produce anything, which I suppose makes sense. As such, unless I hook up some analog in from the DVDs stereo analog out to the receiver's DVD analog in (which I have not done as of yet), I don't think I can avoid the 'Auto' identify feature.

Testing with a few CDs, I noticed this behavior only on a few songs, but not all of them. Even stranger, it had nothing to do with the track location on the disc, the tracks where I could reproduce the problem were everywhere from the 3rd of 10 songs to the 11th of 15, very odd. This behavior was present when listening via coaxial digital in and using some of the processing (PLIIx, 7 ch. stereo, etc.). When listening via multichannel inputs, I was not able to reproduce the problem using CDs. Its almost as if the problem tracks don't contain some sort of flag that the non-problematic ones do.

What's also strange is the fact that I'm experiencing this problem using the multichannel inputs listening to Steely Dan's 'Gaucho', but only on the first track, 'Babylon Sisters'. Other tracks on the same DVD-A (Hey Nineteen, My Rival, etc.) don't exhibit this behavior. I'll have to see if I get the same problem w/other DVD-As or SACDs.

So to recap:

- using CDs w/MC inputs , no problem. Using digital input, intermittently experienced on certain tracks.
- using DVD-A w/MC inputs, problem experienced on just one track at the beginning of the disc.

More testing to follow, but I just wanted to update this in case anyone else experienced the problem as well. Any other feedback on this is welcome also... -TD

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
tomd51 said:
I'm still in the process of tweaking this to my tastes, but so far, I'm impressed with this unit. However... there is one thing I've noticed that is slightly annoying. Whenever playing a CD or DVD/DVD-Audio, I've noticed there is approximately a half second of the track that is muted at the beginning of play :confused: .

I've tried messing with the 'Audio Delay' options, which had some, but little effect on correcting this problem, even when increased to the highest value of 240ms. I'm not so sure this would even have any bearing on this problem as I understood it to be for a video sync issue, but it did seem to shorten the amount of muted audio at the beginning of the track. This problem exist using either the coax digital in or the multichannel analogs.

My source is a Samsung DVD-HD950 hooked up via coaxial digital and 5.1 analogs. I did not experience this with my Denon AVR-3803 using both CD and DVD/DVD-Audio, so I'm assuming this is due to something related to the Yamaha. There are no audio delay type of settings on the Samsung. Just for testing purposes, I may set up my Panasonic DVD-F87 with the Yammy to see what results I get.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any suggestions on how this can be corrected?

Thanks in advance... -TD
Had a 2500 and mine would do the same on first track of cd listening/playing. It was annoying as you would miss about a second of the songs beginning. I would ignore it or sometimes choose to skip back/cue so as to start the song again. Never happened except for first song of a cd. I thought it might be my Yamaha universal player but this was not the case as I swapped it out for a quick test using a 'leftover' player...same issue. I have since sold the rxv2500 as I was never satisfied by it's stereo/music performance. My new centerpieces do not exhibit the particular behavior being discussed here so I suspect it was the 2500 and it's slow response causing the issue.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Just curious

mnnc said:
Had a 2500 and mine would do the same on first track of cd listening/playing. It was annoying as you would miss about a second of the songs beginning. I would ignore it or sometimes choose to skip back/cue so as to start the song again. Never happened except for first song of a cd. I thought it might be my Yamaha universal player but this was not the case as I swapped it out for a quick test using a 'leftover' player...same issue. I have since sold the rxv2500 as I was never satisfied by it's stereo/music performance. My new centerpieces do not exhibit the particular behavior being discussed here so I suspect it was the 2500 and it's slow response causing the issue.

Hello,

I was just curious, what are you using now that you have sold your 2500? I am currently using the same receiver as a processor. I have it connected to an HK 5 channel amp. I think the amp helps the unit sound better. But it's not the greatest for stereo music. Thanks.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
mnnc said:
Had a 2500 and mine would do the same on first track of cd listening/playing. It was annoying as you would miss about a second of the songs beginning. I would ignore it or sometimes choose to skip back/cue so as to start the song again. Never happened except for first song of a cd.
Interesting. I've attempted the 'skip back' option, but it still seems to mute the first half second/second when using the digital input or MC input for specific songs.

Using analog inputs, it's fine for CDs so really the only P.I.T.A. at this point that I can't seem to overcome is the "muting" with MC input on certain songs, I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to come up w/a fix or workaround for that one... :( -TD

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
tomd51 said:
Interesting. I've attempted the 'skip back' option, but it still seems to mute the first half second/second when using the digital input or MC input for specific songs.

Using analog inputs, it's fine for CDs so really the only P.I.T.A. at this point that I can't seem to overcome is the "muting" with MC input on certain songs, I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to come up w/a fix or workaround for that one... :( -TD
I have a Boston(Sherwood)7120. I still use my Yam cdc750 dvd player as source for cd, dvd, dvda, sacd, etc. Only with the first track did I get the omission of the first couple of notes. From dvd player I used digi optic out for audio rather than digi coax just because I had optic on hand at the time and continue to use it. It seems a bit strange that once signal has been achieved between source and recv'r/pre-pro that you are experiencing a 'lag' or delay for lack of better word. I set digi audio out on player to 'all' and analog to multi-ch. I have not had a problem since sending signal to a new recv'r. I consider myself above average intelligence, and though not a genius, that tells me it was the recvr's processor fault and not the players. Happy listening! Have to go view my new projector/8ft screen:D

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Thanks for the input, Mnnc. I'm quite certain it's coming from the 2500, but just today, I picked up the same exact player you noted and I'm not hearing the delay in any of the tracks I previously had issues with. Hmm...

* Denon receiver w/Panasonic DVD-A and Samsung DVD-A/SACD player=no delay
* Yamaha receiver w/Panasonic DVD-A and Samsung DVD-A/SACD player=delay
* Yamaha receiver w/Yamaha DVD-A/SACD player=no delay

Possibly a hidden reason to stay w/same manufacturer? I smell conspiracy... :p -TD

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
tomd51 said:
Thanks for the input, Mnnc. I'm quite certain it's coming from the 2500, but just today, I picked up the same exact player you noted and I'm not hearing the delay in any of the tracks I previously had issues with. Hmm...

* Denon receiver w/Panasonic DVD-A and Samsung DVD-A/SACD player=no delay
* Yamaha receiver w/Panasonic DVD-A and Samsung DVD-A/SACD player=delay
* Yamaha receiver w/Yamaha DVD-A/SACD player=no delay

Possibly a hidden reason to stay w/same manufacturer? I smell conspiracy... :p -TD
That is pretty strange. But, hey...if it aint broke, don't fix it...right? take care.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis