P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
It's been years since I've followed specs on pcs. Currently have a Dell latitude d630 (win 10, 2gb ram, centrino t7300) I received this for free a few yrs back and recently put windows 10 pro on it.

I also have a hp m8530f desktop win 10 pro, also free, amd phenom x4 9550, 4gb ram, Nvidia GeForce 9300ge
The sony bdrom (bdu-x10s) apparently is not compatible with Windows 10.

Both start up quick, but definitely run on the slower end. Use mostly the laptop to transfer files from note 5 (hate not having sd card btw) started playing around with kodi. Occasionally browse the Internet (useless on both computers, just too slow to load pages, both chrome and firefox). Not into gaming. I do have a decent ammount of music and would like to rip more (lossless) both lag when swithing tracks.

Now the question lies, is it worth upgrading anything in either of these (budget under $200) or purchasing something used (would prefer a laptop) and what should I look for spec wise to ensure a decent running pc.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you don't use ssd for Windows and application, you must upgrade to ssd ASAP

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
If you don't use ssd for Windows and application, you must upgrade to ssd ASAP

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Would i also benefit bumping up to 4gb ram on the dell (read that I can goto 8, but I think that may be overkill for what I need) only concern is (for some reason) thinking the processor on the dell may just be old and out of date. Another concern would be the version of usb.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hard drive. With SSD and for your needs. Access time with SSD doesn't require much ram. Unless your doing heavy video rendering, start with the biggest SSD you can afford.

Would i also benefit bumping up to 4gb ram on the dell (read that I can goto 8, but I think that may be overkill for what I need) only concern is (for some reason) thinking the processor on the dell may just be old and out of date. Another concern would be the version of usb.

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
The 2GB machine could definitely benefit from going to 4GB. Going up from there, don't count an improved experience.

However, like everyone else said, SSD. SSD. It's worth saying again. SSD. :)

Looks like your HP tower has room for a 2nd hard drive. Get a 250gb. Install windows and your programs on it. Keep your old drive for media storage.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I'm picking up an ssd this weekend, would it be easier to clone the drive or fresh install of win 10? I've read most people opt to clone via usb but cannot figure out how this is done (I do not have a win 10 disk, install is on usb, worried about loosing the activation code)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm picking up an ssd this weekend, would it be easier to clone the drive or fresh install of win 10? I've read most people opt to clone via usb but cannot figure out how this is done (I do not have a win 10 disk, install is on usb, worried about loosing the activation code)
If it were me I'd clean install. I hate cloning as I've found you can carry some nasty registry issues. Buy a usb/esata hard drive reader for file transfers, I use a Thermaltake branded and it comes in handy a lot.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Put in ssd (pny cs1311 120gb, got for $40), used the win 10 pro on usb I had, it's up and running & activated. Holy wow, i was skeptical at how much faster it would actually be, it's running like a champ. I can actually use it now lol, big thanks for all the advise

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis