PBC's SVSound SB13-Ultra User Review!

S

Saril

Audiophyte
Great Review - Thanks!

PBC - thanks for such an in depth detailed review! Excellent reading. I have a couple of quick questions:

You stated:
“Run Audyssey with the mic at the Listening position, and only that position
Check what the trim level for the subwoofer is set to in the AVR's channel level control. If it is say -4 dB to 0 dB, you’re good to go. If it’s below -4 dB, turn the gain up a few dB on the subwoofer, if it’s above 0 dB, turn the gain down a few dB.”

The manual states:
“Check to make sure your subwoofer Trim value does not exceed the positive or negative limits of Trim (typically +12 dB to -12 dB but may be different based upon your equipment). A value at the negative limit (example, -12 dB) indicates the Volume on the subwoofer was set too high. Lower the Volume on the subwoofer and re-run the auto setup routine. If the subwoofer trim is at the positive limit, raise the Volume on the subwoofer and re-run the auto setup routine.”

These seem to contradict each other – am I interpreting these wrong?

Again, thanks for such a great review.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
PBC - thanks for such an in depth detailed review! Excellent reading. I have a couple of quick questions:

You stated:
“Run Audyssey with the mic at the Listening position, and only that position
Check what the trim level for the subwoofer is set to in the AVR's channel level control. If it is say -4 dB to 0 dB, you’re good to go. If it’s below -4 dB, turn the gain up a few dB on the subwoofer, if it’s above 0 dB, turn the gain down a few dB.”

The manual states:
“Check to make sure your subwoofer Trim value does not exceed the positive or negative limits of Trim (typically +12 dB to -12 dB but may be different based upon your equipment). A value at the negative limit (example, -12 dB) indicates the Volume on the subwoofer was set too high. Lower the Volume on the subwoofer and re-run the auto setup routine. If the subwoofer trim is at the positive limit, raise the Volume on the subwoofer and re-run the auto setup routine.”

These seem to contradict each other – am I interpreting these wrong?

Again, thanks for such a great review.
It means when you run Audyssey, you should shoot for the subwoofer level to be right around zero, with a bit more leeway on the - dB side. I generally shoot for between -2 to +1.

So, if you get a trim level of -12 dB, your AVR is trying to cut the level of your sub pretty severely. In this instance, you should lower the gain on your sub and rerun.

For a trim level of +12 dB, your AVR is saying the gain on the sub is too low and it is trying to compensate for it. This means you should increase the gain on your sub until you get within the +/- 2dB range from measuring.

S

Saril

Audiophyte
Good catch Saril..must have typed it up incorrectly!
My SB13 has arrived! I wonder if I should give it a break-period before I run Audyssey multiEQ32. I am going to try and make this work with an existing Vandersteen V2W sub. I am going to turn off all settings on the sub and see what Audyssey comes up with. In just 2 minutes I could already hear sounds I've never heard before so I'm sure this is going to be quite a ride! I'm placing the 2 subs in diagonal corners of the room which is 24 x 16 x 9 and opens into a foyer and another 16 x 16 x 9 room. My placement options are limited so I hope this works. Has anyone had luck using this sub with another different model sub? Thanks.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
In just 2 minutes I could already hear sounds I've never heard before so I'm sure this is going to be quite a ride!
You will also feel things you never felt before given the SB13-Ultra has output well below 20Hz (even down to 12Hz) so be prepared to run for your life!

Modern drivers don't seem to need any real break-in in my experience so I would go ahead and run Audyssey now and let her rip; you can always run it again later.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Well I've been without a sub for ~3wks now and let me tell ya...I miss not having a sub in my living rm. Anyhow...PBC...has offered to lend me this sub for the time being and compare it to my PSA xs30...once it arrives. I know we're nearing the holidays which will make things tough...I hope to pick up the sb13u by next week or so...if..we can make the necessary arrangements & my XS arrives during that period. It will great to have the sb13u on hand in home for this comparison.

I'm pretty sure the guys who wrote these reviews...have nothing to worry about...my thoughts will only consist of what I hear and how each product handles the various music and movies I decide to use. Any real techenical questions...which I can answer...I will...more difficult or techenical ones I'll need to defer or have you guys re-read these reviews and find your answers...lol.

Regards, Bill

Last edited:
ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
After you're done comparing just send them my way and I'll compare them for ya too :D :D

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Geez, forgot how deceivingly heavy this little sub was. Was quickly reminded after lugging it into my hallway and placing it down on the tiles right on two finger tips. Ouch.

This thread reminds me, I never did get a "signed" amplifier as I didn't bother shipping the review sub back!

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Geez, forgot how deceivingly heavy this little sub was. Was quickly reminded after lugging it into my hallway and placing it down on the tiles right on two finger tips. Ouch.
:eek:
I read the SB13-U driver alone weighs nearly as much (43lbs.) as my old Bic F12 (44lbs.) .
side by side.jpg

Hope ya didn't damage the fingers to bad brother, gotta be able to push them remote buttons ;)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
His fingers are fine....he was able to type me his address for p/up this evening...though...I don't know, if they'll be well enough to help carry out a 90+ lb sub down his stairs and into my suv this evening...:D

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Assume you mean my S2's on top of my DIY subwoofers? No, they don't move. Mind you, the subs they are on top of are dual opposed so have zero vibrations.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Just a quick synopsis on theSB13u:

It is one impressive sub; I was just playing some music playlists through my apple TV…nothing serious. The sub has worked flawlessly…so far…very articulate. IMO it sounds like it can carry a tune on its own. The kick drum notes are especially tight and powerful...come to a stop with no drag or “over hang”....likely a trait of a sealed unit?

One of my favorite tracks I like to demo and I am know very well…comes from the band “A Perfect Circle”…the song is called"The Noose" and it’s layered in a such a way that the music starts to swell as it gets louder…by the mid-way point it reaches down with fast & punchy notes and the 13u handles them with ease and precision. Very nice…I thought to myself with a smile.

At the moment I haven’t had the time to run REQ… just too busy around here to set up a mic. However, I do plan on doing so this weekend, if I have the house to myself for any length of time. No rush though as PBC was nice enough to give me an extended stay with his sub…still no ETA for my sub…I think it should be here next week sometime…I would hope.

Thanks again Steve…the sub looks small but man...can it play!

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Thanks for sharing Billy, I am super pleased with my SB13-U and hope to one day win a 2nd but am saving to purchase if I don't. Your findings mirror what I have found with my music and it is just as good for demanding LFE found in movies these days :) I plan to demo "The Noose" streamed via Youtube sometime today.

Where are you setting the crossover at? In my room, with my speakers I found 100Hz works much better than 80Hz with no localization heard. Wish my Pio AVR could do 120HZ XO but may try 150Hz to see if localization is a problem.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
With my last sub I used 60hz because my REQ set it there without issue. I also treid 40/80hz it also worked but what the heck...did I need a sub for if I'm using 40hz..jk.:p.

Localization with my last sub crept in right around 90hz and progressively worsened the higher I went. With the sb13 I'd like to see what I could get away with...it sure sounds like it would be up to the task from what I'm hearing...I might try and do that over the weekend once I break out mic(ARC) and tinker around with the setting. I could store 2 separte eq settings one for movies...another for music.

Ps: I hope you like the "tune"...I like all kinds of music but I always seem to gravitate back to my younger days and listen to the hard stuff...:D.

Re:Bill

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Fell in live with the JL Fathom F113 for the very reason the SB13 is so cool, small compact gorgeous sub that still offers great performance.

Still think the XS30 will "out gun" it given the larger box size and I'm sure you'll love that sub even more. Would be interesting to see how they compare down low given the box size isn't "twice" the volume of the SB13 and it has dual 15" drivers.

Likely requires a lot of boost down low, similar to my DIYs which are identical I'm size. But Tom knows what he's doing!!

Enjoy the SB13 in the mean time. No fellow sub forum member should be without a subwoofer for any length of time. :).

Looking forward to your impressions of how it compares to the xs when you get it.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Watched OHF...last night. The MV set at -20db because no EQ yet...sounded every bit as good as my last sub(if not better...lol). This sub is very deceptive just by its looks but it digs deep enough to fill most any averaged sized rooms. I know, I could have lived with it but I am very excited to finally get the XS30 home. It should be here in the next few business days. For me though...this won't be about which sub is better...its nice to have 2 quality products on hand to compare and how they each handle different source material(movies or music).

Again....thanks a lot for doing this..Bill:)

Last edited:
hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
No fellow sub forum member should be without a subwoofer for any length of time. :).
Looking forward to your impressions of how it compares to the xs when you get it.
For me though...this won't be about which sub is better...its nice to have 2 quality products on hand to compare and how they each handle different source material(movies or music).

Again....thanks a lot for doing this..Bill
Billy, I too am looking forward to your impressions of the two subs.

pbc, I agree - no HT enthusiast should be w/o woofers :p

TY for allowing billy to use your SVS sub and compare it with his knew sub when it come in :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Billy, I too am looking forward to your impressions of the two subs.

pbc, I agree - no HT enthusiast should be w/o woofers :p

TY for allowing billy to use your SVS sub and compare it with his knew sub when it come in :cool:
Ha....I did a quick edit to correct a couple of typos...too late...:eek:.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis