Passive Radiator vs Folded Transmission Line

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I was rooting around on Salk's site, sort of comparing Phil3s to SS8s & SS10s. I have a little understanding of passive radiators, and a little of folded transmission lines, but not much. It seems people often generally equate the sound of the Phil3s to the SS8s, but it appears the design is quite different.

Just wondering about the advantages or disadvantages of each. (I'm really wondering why Jim chose passive radiators and Dennis chose FTL. ;))

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was rooting around on Salk's site, sort of comparing Phil3s to SS8s & SS10s. I have a little understanding of passive radiators, and a little of folded transmission lines, but not much. It seems people often generally equate the sound of the Phil3s to the SS8s, but it appears the design is quite different.

Just wondering about the advantages or disadvantages of each. (I'm really wondering why Jim chose passive radiators and Dennis chose FTL. ;))
The reason is size and practicality.

A passive radiator speaker is a tuned enclosure, pretty much identical to a properly sized ported enclosure, although the bass rolls off about 6 db steeper than for a port as a rule.

A properly designed folded TL can be designed to give low Q non resonant reproduction. Properly done the quality and realism of the bass is remarkable. .

Now F3 for F3 the TL is going to be a much larger structure. In addition there is a fairly narrow range of T/S parameters that make for a really impressive TL. One thing you need is low Fs. This generally means a large driver. The lower the operating range of the pipe the longer it is. The higher the VAS of the driver the more volume the box must have. This is also true of ported and ABR. However the TL starts from a higher volume to start with. Now if you put in two drivers, the volume of either design is doubled. The TL though starts to become a massive and formidable endeavor.

In Dennis's design there is one nice 8" woofer going down to the mid 20s. (Fs 21 Hz) However his enclosure is very large for one 8" woofer. If he had used two to increase power handling the enclosure would have been twice the volume.

So if Salk had used a folded TL for the SS8 then his enclosure would have been much bigger and the same for his 10" woofer which goes to the low 20s.

So really powerful TLs going to the 20 Hz range or below are going to be the preserve of the DIY community I feel. The practicalities imposed by the physics of the situation make for limited commercial applications to say the least on grounds of size and cost, especially if the consumer is focused on F3.

The fact is that smaller lines actually sound very good and are better than just a look at f3 would suggest. a ported enclosure rolls off 24 db per octave below F3 and an ABR generally 36 db. On the other hand a properly designed folded TL will roll off 12 db per octave below F3.

The other confounding problem is that I think consumers have become accustomed to resonant bass reproduction at least to a degree. Listening to properly damped TLs is disarming at first encounter for many, until they realize that the bass really is true to life.

When a 32 ft stop in a cathedral in the UK is just ever so lightly sounded against the choristers, the sound is just truly amazing. It becomes not how loud the bass can be (and TLs will do that too) but how light and soft it can be. The bass is just so clean without boom or overhang. Once you have experienced it for a while you will never go back to resonant reproduction.

My lines are truly formidable constructions. The bass lines have 2 10" drivers with Fs 20 Hz. That is the same as having one 15" driver in each enclosure.

Even so the shear size of these speakers is still to a large extent concealed by the architecture of the room.

The other thing I would say, if you do want to use a smaller TL and want to use a sub with it, to really get the benefit the sub also needs to be a TL in my view. Without taking that step the magic is to a large extent lost.

In those speakers there are two lines half an octave apart which act in synergy. So in my view a totally integrated full range design makes the most sense. Because of active circuitry the LFE channel is fully captured and integrated.

As a commercial venture I would not see many takers. As a DIY design it is absolutely worth it to me and brings untold pleasure.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

When bass cabinets are designed, passive radiators are treated the same way as bass reflex cabinets are. Instead of a port tube with a length and diameter, a passive radiator (or two) acts as a wider and shallower tube.

The choice between a bass reflex cabinet (with either tube or passive radiator) or a TL cabinet is made when you compare the predicted performance from both designs, and the size TL cabinet would require. For almost all woofers, a TL cabinet will be larger than a bass reflex.

Regardless of the cabinet design choice, it is still up to the designer to choose a well-damped bass tuning, that keep Q lower than 0.7, and minimizes or eliminates bass ringing.

The Philharmonic 3 uses one 8" ScanSpeak woofer in a large folded TL. You are familiar with how well that works. The Salk SS8 uses two 8" woofers and a passive radiator (one or two?). I think a folded TL design was considered, but it was rejected because the cabinet size would have been too large to be practical.

Dennis and TLS Guy should have more to say on this.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The other confounding problem is that I think consumers have become accustomed to resonant bass reproduction at least to a degree. Listening to properly damped TLs is disarming at first encounter for many, until they realize that the bass really is true to life.
I have witnessed this personally both in myself and in others.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have a vague funny memory…

I was visiting Dennis a number of years ago when I saw an early-stage development model of what eventually became the Salk SS10. At that time, the bass module was a modified MLTL. It turned out to be too small, but Jim Salk had already decided he could go no larger for practical reasons. Dennis had stuffed the cabinet with various different amounts of loose polyester fill, but had made no effort to contain it in a nylon mesh bag. The velocity of air moving out of the port was rather impressive, as were the bits of fluff shooting 5-10 feet across the room.

It would have made a large & heavy leaf blower :rolleyes:.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I was visiting Dennis a number of years ago when I saw an early-stage development model of what eventually became the Salk SS10. At that time, the bass module was a modified MLTL. It turned out to be too small, but Jim Salk had already decided he could go no larger for practical reasons. Dennis had stuffed the cabinet with various different amounts of loose polyester fill, but had made no effort to contain it in a nylon mesh bag. The velocity of air moving out of the port was rather impressive, as were the bits of fluff shooting 5-10 feet across the room.

That illustrates the physics of pipes.

At the mouth there is an antinode of air displacement and a node of pressure. So air movement is large. Getting the port sized correctly is important and is called end correction and part of the total design. This is something pipe organ builders are very aware of.

Of course at the top closed end there is an node of displacement. There has to be as it is blocked by wood, and no air can move through it. By the same token is an antinode of pressure. In a pipe the pressure and displacement waves are the inverse of the other. This of course provides excellent control of driver cone motion.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

Hmmm A musical leaf blower. Sounds like another great way to lose money. I'll look into it.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks, guys. That all helps. From the pictures, it appears the SS8 is not as deep as the Phil3. But the SS10 seems to be the same general size/shape. Now I think I understand that 2x8" or 1x10" woofer in a TL design would be a lot bigger than the Phil3.

Frankly, it's hard for me to imagine either of them sounding a lot better than the Phil3. I am frequently reminded how much I like the Phil3s, especially when I put on a CD.

I do think it's a tribute to Jim & Dennis that each can make a speaker, of different design, with similar performance, and both are considered a Gold Standard.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I do think it's a tribute to Jim & Dennis that each can make a speaker, of different design, with similar performance, and both are considered a Gold Standard.
They’re not as different as you might think. Dennis first developed the Salk SS10 and SS12, and he later used what he learned to develop the Phil3. A lot of different drivers and physical arrangements were tried before the design was finalized, like the open back midrange driver. Dennis and Jim chose the various successful drivers, and Dennis worked out the details of the crossovers to make them sound as wonderful as they do. There were a number of different drivers that were tested and rejected during this process. All in all, it was definitely a collaboration between Jim and Dennis.

After learning that the SS10/12 bass modules as TLs were going to be too large, another well-known DIY speaker designer, Jeff Bagby, contributed his abilities to design the successful passive radiator design. Later when the demand developed for an all-in-one smaller cabinet, the SS8, Jeff Bagby also designed that bass alignment, with dual 8" woofers and passive radiators.

When Dennis focused on the Phil3, he aimed for a much lower price than the Salk SoundScapes. He found a single 8” woofer that could achieve 25 Hz in a folded TL cabinet of reasonable size. Paul Kittinger collaborated with Dennis for the bass module design. Dennis choose all the other drivers and developed the crossovers, as he did for the SoundScapes. So the all-important midrange sound characteristics of these speakers all were developed by Dennis. Despite the different drivers, I’m not surprised they sound so similar.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis