Passive HDMI splitter with receiver -- weird behaviour?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I got one of these, and I seem to have issues with it.
Video/Audio Splitter - HDMI® M to HDMI® F X 2 - Monoprice.com

My PC is connected to TV via receiver. My receiver needs to be on, irrespective of it being used. So even while browsing, it is on. By using a splitter I can connect to PC directly or via receiver and i can use my TV remote to switch between either. Hence i can switch off the receiver when not needed.

Here is what i am trying.
(a) Split input source coming from PC using the splitter. Splitter Out 1 goes directly to TV input HDMI 1, Out 2 goes to HDMI 2 in TV via the receiver. Switch between both using TV remote.
However, both do not work!!

However, if i connect as mentioned below, i get some weird unexpected results.
1. Splitter OUT 1 to TV HDMI 1. OUT 2 is not connected. - It works.
2. Splitter OUT 2 to TV HDMI 2. OUT 1 is not connected. - It *does not* work.
3. Splitter OUT 1 to TV HDMI 1 along with Splitter OUT 2 to TV HDMI 2, and use remote to switch between HDMI 1 & HDMI 2 - Both works.

On top of this, I got it to work couple of times, when connected as mentioned in (a). I remember one time it worked when connected via the receiver. I triple checked the connections. When I switched the TV input selection using remote, the other wasn't working. Switched back to this and neither was this working anymore.

Whats happening? What am i missing?
I was under the impression that I do not need an active splitter for my needs, read a few threads earlier at AV forums.

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would not recommend that device since there are two HDMI negotiations going on.
You likely need an active splitter like this:

1X2 Mini HDMI® Splitter w/ 3D support - Monoprice.com

keep in mind that the source device determines the output capabilities from the HDMI handshake.
Most devices pick only the formats permitted by both outputs.

Another choice is to use two video outputs from your PC. They can be set to deliver a mirrored source.
This may be better since each device has independent settings.
If your PC does not have two video outputs there are USB video add-ons.

- Rich

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Another choice is to use two video outputs from your PC.
Would a VGA to HDMI or DVI to HDMI convertor work? Video alone would suffice for me.
So i can use this as one HDMI source and the HDMI out as second one.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Would a VGA to HDMI or DVI to HDMI convertor work? Video alone would suffice for me.
So i can use this as one HDMI source and the HDMI out as second one.
No. Passive HDMI devices are fraudulent and will not work. To do what you want requires an active device. There is not much advantage to this over using your receiver as the switch.

It is best to really make just one connection to your TV if you have a receiver or pre/pro.

I only use the on/off switch on my TVs. Everything goes through my pre/pro including to PCs.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
It is best to really make just one connection to your TV if you have a receiver or pre/pro.

I only use the on/off switch on my TVs. Everything goes through my pre/pro including to PCs.
How about two video outputs? Either video card with multiple HDMI ports, or DVI to HDMI convertor with HDMI output.
This should work out right.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
How about two video outputs? Either video card with multiple HDMI ports, or DVI to HDMI convertor with HDMI output.
This should work out right.
If you have a card that has two HDMI out, that will work. DVI will not, as it only supports video and not audio.

I don't understand why you want to complicate your set up. You have a receiver. Use it!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis