Passive Computer Speakers (B&W 686 S2?)

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Hi!

I've been sticking around with a 2.1 auto amplified system from Altec Lansing for my computer sound for almost 5 years now; as I spend about 5-8 hours a day sitting in front of the screen and listening to music (Even if Im not using the computer)

I think it's time to pull the trigger and build a higher end sound system. I've been looking around and found the Yahama RN 500, as it has its own DAC, I will connect my computer via toss-link to it, IMO it has all features I need and delivers good sound, furthermore it is now on Sale (360€).

The problem comes at choosing Speakers, as they have to be placed in top of the desktop and hearing distance will be 50-80 cm I am quite lost here. I've been looking at the old B&W 685 (Whose sound I love) but they are quite big.

Could you suggest a nice pair of speakers or should I go for the Bowers?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
It seems the B&W 686 S2 are a very good option, but they will be placed at like 50-80 cm separation from each other an as said, will be listened from a short distance. Any problem with that?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I don't feel those B&W are a great option, to be honest.

Have you considered some KEF LS50s?

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
I don't feel those B&W are a great option, to be honest.

Have you considered some KEF LS50s?

I have read some reviews stating that they are a great pair with small footprint, much better than the previous series, and the fact that bass port is on the front makes them more adequate for the placement I want. BTW those KEF double the price of the B&W, I'm sure they are worth it but I come from a 75€ system and I'd like to stick to a 1000€ max.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I bet that the 300 dollar a pair Jbls will eat that BW up;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Did had a chance to give a listen to Wharfedale diamond speakers. They quite good and won't cost arm and a leg.

Also another vote for pro jbk monitors. I love mine.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Did had a chance to give a listen to Wharfedale diamond speakers. They quite good and won't cost arm and a leg.

Also another vote for pro jbk monitors. I love mine.
I feel that separating receiver/DAC from the speakers is important. Furthermore those JBL have the bass port on the back, and I will be placing them nearly touching the wall.

KEF LS50's sound amazing for their size.
I'm sure, but they cost twice as more...

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
I'm now looking also at the B&W CM1 and (S2), as they are also Small, but bass port is on the back... (Yes I like B&W if you had not noticed :p)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Are you coming here for advice and recommendations or affirmation of your choice?

You're allowed to like B&W but don't be surprised if you're coming here for affirmation and it doesn't happen. People have different tastes, and you did ask for alternatives.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Are you coming here for advice and recommendations or affirmation of your choice?

You're allowed to like B&W but don't be surprised if you're coming here for affirmation and it doesn't happen. People have different tastes, and you did ask for alternatives.
You'r right, my inclination towards B&W are pretty strong, but IMO the alternatives proposed won't suffice my needs.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Aside from rear ported, what are your needs? Studio monitors that are powered and a dac would make more sense than a receiver and passive speakers.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Aside from rear ported, what are your needs? Studio monitors that are powered and a dac would make more sense than a receiver and passive speakers.

Changed my mind, although I am really attracted to The B&W, as all of you noted they are expensive and probably won't deliver up to notch sound.

I need some speakers that can be placed near me, at a really small listening distance, with good bass (So no need for a SUB) and I also need a way of converting Digital sound from Spotify, mostly from My Mac into quality analog sound. Now the JBL look like a good option to me.

EDIT: Which DAC would you recommend? I'm quite lost on this field.

BTW max budget is 1000€ - 1300$

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Looking at the 685 S2 now too, they have better bass

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If your heart is set on B&W, you probably won't be happy until you've fulfilled that wish.

If you feel that the B&W speakers sound great to you, as do all B&W fans, then just buy them. You have my blessing. :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
EDIT: Which DAC would you recommend? I'm quite lost on this field.
Pick up one of these - HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC and you will also need a passive volume control like this, if using active monitors - Palmer Monicon - Thomann UK

Alternatively, one of these will do the same, and has XLR outputs: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/tascam-us-366-usb-audio-i-face

I really do second the JBL LSR305 monitors suggested earlier. I believe they will sound more true to the source material than the stuff you're currently looking at. Now, if you want something possibly (but not certainly) a bit more refined, These:

Neumann KH 120 A - Thomann UK

Will also fit your budget.

H

hifitommy

Enthusiast
i have what looks to be the klipsch pro media 2.1 computer speakers and i am quite surprised at their apparent full range (not like my big system in the living room) with satisfying bass and good imaging. those are characteristics i never would have thought of for Klipsch computer speakers. putting a REAL system on my computer desk would not leave room for anything else and speaker placement could be a real problem unless i changed the desk and looked long and hard for one that would work for me.

the price is low enough to be laughable in terms of a real stereo but i am very satisfied with it.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Considering now the KEF LS50 as some of you suggested, they are designed for near field, unlike the B&W 685S2

I can get them for 1000€ (Usual price is 1200€) and the B&W for 550€ (Usual 650€) which should I go for? I plan on pairing them with a Yamaha RN500 that will receive sound by optical in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis