Parts Express "C-Note"

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
http://www.parts-express.com/c-note-mt-bookshelf-speaker-kit-pair-with-knock-down-cabinets--300-7140
Found this kit while I was laying in bed last night. Individually priced the drivers come out to 90 dollars and the entire kit is $100. Would really appreciated it one of our more physics/acoustic experts gave an opinion on the build. It is really new and there exists a very small amount of reviews. Thanks in advanced.
You can't beat that price! It probably isn't ¾" thick MDF, but the cabinet is small and thinner than ¾ can be OK in a small, more rigid box (11×7.5×9.5").

I haven't heard either of those drivers, but at a glance, the kit design seems like it should be OK. The crossover point is just above 3 kHz. That's well below the mid-woofer's major break-up peak at 7-8 kHz, and is high enough to avoid any low frequency distortion from the tweeter. The 5" aluminum mid-woofer should have good off-axis dispersion at 3 kHz and below. At 85 dB, it isn't sensitive, but it would be unrealistic to expect greater sensitivity.

Remember that you have to buy some other stuff (screws, binding posts, speaker wire) to complete the build. You'll also need wood glue and clamps.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
+/-3dB 43-20K? The BR-1 is 84dB sensitivity, so this seems to be in a similar price/performance category, and looks to be an equally similar build but potentially with a nicer cabinet (unfinished though). Hmmmmmm...tempting at that price and they've been running a bunch of coupons lately.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
number one complete
Unfortunately in the process of completing the second I opened the woofer and noticed the frame was bent, so all I need to do is literally screw in the woofer and the project is complete, but now im going to have to call parts express and have them send another one.
So now I wait...
In the mean time a few pictures of the first completed, ignore the messy desk.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Oh one more thing... any recommendations for decent rubber feet?

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
yes Permanent. They will always be on a desk set up.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
well I'm not powering them with anything right now as they are up in my closet till I get the second woofer replaced. They will be powered with a Marantz model 2238b temporarily which will likely get replaced with a Dayton APA150.
Highfigh how did you know exactly the rubber feet I was looking for?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis