Partial Home Theater Audio overhaul

J

JakeSS

Audiophyte
Looking for a little insight on my home theater setup. So my setup is in my great room of my house. NOt a dedicated home theater room. Primarily used for watching television and movies, video games (PS4), and once in a great while I put music on for house parties through Ipod or use DirecTV music channels and use multi-room for in my backyard (pool parties). Movies are played through my Apple TV box from my home computer. My great room is quite large, about 30 ft. X 35 ft. X 10 ft. high ceilings. My home theater area has the common "cut-out" area where my tv stand with 59" LCD TV sits. The center channel sits on the top of the tv stand and my two tower speakers and one sub are off to the side (but still inside the cutout area built into the floorplan). I started having static issues and poor performance from my subwoofer-so I wanted to replace it. In addition, I ran out of HDMI hook-ups (from recent PS4 purchase) on my receiver-so that led me to getting a new receiver and a new subwoofer. See below.
My current equipment is:
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 247-which I have already ordered a Denon X4000 to replace it...
Subwoofer: JBL 12" sub (having issues)-already ordered a HSU VTF-3 MK5 subwoofer
Front speakers: JBL venue series stage tower speakers
Center channel: JBL venue series voice speaker
Rear speakers: Ceiling speakers that came with the pre-wire surround sound setup with the house (I am not the first owner of the house). I don't know what brand or model-I know I suck...LOL

My house also has three speakers in the ceiling at the front of my 5.1 setup that I disconnected due to the tower speakers and center channel I already owned prior to moving in. I did quite a bit of research and I know my receiver should be a big upgrade having Audessey to help with initial setup and also delivers 125 watts per channel vs. my old receiver at 50 watts. Also my new subwoofer should blow my old one out of the water. My question is, will my old tower speakers and center channels going to need to be replaced? Will they sound a lot stronger/better with such an improved receiver? Any other suggestions-I'm a relative novice when it comes to home theater audio. I do plan on going to a bigger TV in a few years, but not a projector and still having the TV sitting on a TV stand. I also do have room for a 2nd subwoofer, but if I buy a 2nd one, it will likely be a 2nd HSU MK5 and I don't want to spend that much money on subs right now.
Sorry for the long post-just wanted to give as much info. as possible to get the best answers :) thx!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis