Parasound Halo P 5 Stereo Preamplifier Preview

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Yes the Pass Labs amp IMO didn't measure to stellar but it sounds awesome. One day I need to sit down and do more multi-tone testing to see if the lower feedback approach really does have merit to the types of distortion we prefer.

My brother bought over a few guitar amps that all measured like crap but the distortion profile some of them produced was very pleasing using his guitar of choice.
Funny that you should mention the Pass Labs amp, because that's the one I was thinking of when I typed the question. A very interesting topology, and the measurements are different.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Being in the agnostic-but-tending-towards-there-are-differences camp myself, at least when I'm making buying decisions, I'm curious, did you ever put some of these products that amazed you on the test bench to try and figure out what amazed you objectively? If so, did you get any interesting results?
Buying decisions are when you out it all on the line.
This has always been my objective.

During my time with the ATI3000, I was frequently listening while not paying particular attention and I would hear something new and wonderful.. There were times when I thought it could have been a edgy (for the lack of a better term) on the high end. Ii was quite subtle.

After 6 months or so with the A51, I have some of those pleasant surprise moments and it always sounds great. It may not be the end-all amp or posses the best measurements, but it is certainly, the best amp I have ever owned.

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A few vocal so called "objectivists" forum regulars on this site do NOT reflect the opinion of the masses and certainly NOT the opinions of the site operatives, especially myself. You will NEVER hear state "all amps sound the same if not driven into distortion" crap. I've listened to too many products over the years in amazement that have removed such prejudices.
I have to agree, and that's the main reason why I have issue with that survey thread you started, because imho the question is too generic. I don't remember if I answered yes but if I did, it was a mistake for whatever the reasons at that moment. How can all amp sound the same? There are so many variables to consider? On distortions alone, there are at least several known types of distortions. Even if you single out one type, and the % between two amps are similar, their harmonic spectrums may be quite different. Then there are studies that show some people's sensitivities could range fom preferring even, to odd, to neither orders of harmonics. And then I read that Juian Hirsch, Bob Carver and others who found they couldn't pick up the injected cross over distortions, using a phase linear amp, until it hit several % with complex music, lower (0.15% if I remember right) for simpler music contents. I also read another article by N.Pass who made his point about how class A is better, but he kept comparing A to B and only mentioned AB briefly. It seems (I can be wrong) to me he wanted to make his case about how class A was better than class B with negative feedback. How about those audiophiles ("non Objectivists" type I assume) who often claimed Marantz = sound quality = warm sound etc., yet Marantz has not been shy about using negative feedback in their amps? Would that contradict Mr. Pass's findings?

I guess since this is considered more as a hobby then science, the academic and other authoritative researchers are not interested in conducting serious research that has to follow widely accepted protocols to prove this thing once and for all. As such, no wonder people just resort to SBT/DBT, you just can't win by just saying "I am an EE with X years of experience in X,Y,Z fields or simply say I can hear it if you can't too bad..etc....".

BTW, I really liked the A21 amplifier back when we reviewed it. Nice product.
Good to know, I am getting one but won't bother AB it with my other 5 except the one it will be displacing, hopefully permanently.:D

certainly NOT the opinions of the site operatives, especially myself.
Not trying to say things the boss like to hear, but I have great respect for people like yourself who is not shy to use the word "opionion". Far too often people tend to state their opinions as fact, perhaps unintentionally, to give them the benefit of doubt. Until we prove it, like we do in math, science and engineering when we have to prove things all the time and say QED (an very old term, I know) in the end, such talks about how amps sound same or different, are really just opinions. Some of such stated opinions are just more credible and believable than others, and of course that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
getting away from the balanced end of things and back to the P5 for a sec, i would like to say that i have followed this product for years. i, in fact, came damn close to getting one a while back, before i just decided to dump my 2 channel system all together and run 2 channel through my AVR. i have always felt that, going forward, the industry needs to adapt products like this. being able to easily integrate your subs into 2 channel music is really great, but unfortunately still too "home theater" for some of the 2 channel snobs. of course when dartzeel puts out a $50K preamp that does it everyone will fall over dead praising how great it is.

RichB

RichB

Good to know, I am getting one but won't bother AB it with my other 5 except the one it will be displacing, hopefully permanently.:D

Not trying to say things the boss like to hear, but I have great respect for people like yourself who is not shy to use the word "opionion". Far too often people tend to state their opinions as fact, perhaps unintentionally, to give them the benefit of doubt. Until we prove it, like we do in math, science and engineering when we have to prove things all the time and say QED (an very old term, I know) in the end, such talks about how amps sound same or different, are really just opinions. Some of such stated opinions are just more credible and believable than others, and of course that's just my opinion.
When is you A1 arriving?
Please post your impressions (aka Opinion) of the product and its sound.

- Rich

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
getting away from the balanced end of things and back to the P5 for a sec, i would like to say that i have followed this product for years. i, in fact, came damn close to getting one a while back, before i just decided to dump my 2 channel system all together and run 2 channel through my AVR.
How can you follow a product for years that hasn't been released yet?

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
woops i meant i almost got the P7, the seven channel version of this. sorry.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to be all about Pure Analog 2Ch preamp.

But now that I have joined the Audyssey XT Flat Dynamic EQ bandwagon, I will never look back.

I would use a pre-pro or an AVR w/ Audyssey XT32 Flat DEQ 100% of the time, instead of any analog stereo preamp regardless of price.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

But now that I have joined the Audyssey XT Flat Dynamic EQ bandwagon, I will never look back.

I would use a pre-pro or an AVR w/ Audyssey XT32 Flat DEQ 100% of the time, instead of any analog stereo preamp regardless of price.
Just for clarification, you're running your mains set to "small" and connecting the subs to the LFE channel, and letting Audyssey do the rest?

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic

I've got both because, brother, you can never have too much audio!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
When is you A1 arriving?
Please post your impressions (aka Opinion) of the product and its sound.

- Rich
It will likely be about 6 weeks from now and there is a remote chance I may change my mind.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hearing is believing.

XT Flat DEQ is the real deal for both 2CH & MCH music & movies. The difference is astronomical. Night & day.

Sometimes I still can't believe it. So I go back to PD mode. Man, PD sucks. :eek:

What's the saying? Ignorance is bliss? :D

Believe it. :)

Thank you, Audyssey! ;)
I just finished listening to a burned CD on my R900, Marantz 2 channel separates, Denon 3910 earlier and now repeating the same CD on my Energy Veritas based HT system using just the Anthem 2 channel, AV8801 and Oppo 105 with Audyssey flat and DEQ on. Oops, forgot we are supposed to be talking about the P5, sorry..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just finished listening to a burned CD on my R900, Marantz 2 channel separates, Denon 3910 earlier and now repeating the same CD on my Energy Veritas based HT system using just the Anthem 2 channel, AV8801 and Oppo 105 with Audyssey flat and DEQ on. Oops, forgot we are supposed to be talking about the P5, sorry..
Pertinent to me. :) We're comparing stereo preamp (no Audyssey) to Pre-pro (Audyssey DEQ). For me, there is utterly no reason for analog stereo preamp. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am tired of having to burn CDs (in order to have my favorite pieces on one disc) for use with my analog only preamps. Does the P5 has a standard USB type A connector, or just one of those sqaurish looking type B?

RichB

RichB

I am tired of having to burn CDs (in order to have my favorite pieces on one disc) for use with my analog only preamps. Does the P5 has a standard USB type A connector, or just one of those sqaurish looking type B?
i am not sure but the Oppo BDP-105 USB DAC is the square type.
i think it help differentiate them from the standard type.

- Rich

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Does the P5 has a standard USB type A connector, or just one of those sqaurish looking type B?
Just the Type B connector, though I'm not sure I see the problem? The appropriate USB cable is dirt cheap.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
i am not sure but the Oppo BDP-105 USB DAC is the square type.
i think it help differentiate them from the standard type.

- Rich
The 105 has both, the square one is the asynchronous one at the back.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis