Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier and DAC Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Parasound has just announced their new Halo Integrated Amplifier. The new Halo updates the classic integrated concept and updates it for the digital generation. It's a powerhouse rated at 160 watts/ch (8 ohms) and 240 watts/ch (4 ohm), high bias class A/AB, Dual-mono featuring a home theater bypass, and analog bass management for a 2.1 speaker configuration. With high end digital support including the latest generation ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC, DSD decoding, will the new Parasound Halo Integrated appeal to the current audiophile generation?

Read: Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier and DAC Preview

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks like a good alternative to the Hegel integrated.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like a heck of an integrated! And at that price, it's gonna be tough to beat!

A few comments.

Cons:
I sure hope they get those Alps Motorized Potentiometer problems from the P5 worked out on this integrated.

Bipolars on the outputs instead of FETs, looks like a poor place to save $.

Pros:
An actual headphone amp!
Subwoofer control via the front panel. Brilliant!

J

Jesse

Audiophyte
This new Parasound integreated amplifier is really cool. Its brilliant that they setup for a front end subwoofer display.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Looks like a heck of an integrated! And at that price, it's gonna be tough to beat!

A few comments.

Cons:
I sure hope they get those Alps Motorized Potentiometer problems from the P5 worked out on this integrated.

Bipolars on the outputs instead of FETs, looks like a poor place to save $.

Pros:
An actual headphone amp!
Subwoofer control via the front panel. Brilliant!
Well, I can tell you that I am on my second potentiometer on my P5 and it's faulty once again. Very upset about it. Almost turns me off of using it anymore.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I can tell you that I am on my second potentiometer on my P5 and it's faulty once again. Very upset about it. Almost turns me off of using it anymore.
Yeah, I would not be a happy camper right now either.

This is a real shame because I really like Parasound! I have a 1206 HCA, and a zCD and I have been absolutely happy with both units (both purchased on the used market).

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that Alps is having QC problems too. Perhaps there is an inherent flaw in that design, or an Alps supplier is slipping up.

Alps pots are ubiquitous in audio and other electronics too. The analog joysticks on the Xbox controllers are actually Alps pots too, and those things must stand some real abuse.

Let us know how it plays out. I think the takeaway right now is to be very cautious with purchasing or recommending Parasound, especially if it has a motorized Alps pot!

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
They are back in the office next week. I am waiting on a reply to see what they will do. One product that I have never had issues with.... Marantz. To bad they don't do a 2.1 preamp.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
And Parasound has stepped up again and helped me. Super customer service from them..

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
And Parasound has stepped up again and helped me. Super customer service from them..
That's great!

I assume that it was the exact same problem on the pot? Still an Alps pot?

What did they say about it this time around?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's great. But I know you must be exasperated deep inside.

How long has thing problem been going on? 18 months? :eek:

You should have listened to me in the beginning and gotten a Pre-pro or AVR. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis