Parasound Emotiva opinion

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I have talked about Pre-amps on here the last few weeks and want to get some last minute opinions before I make a decision.
Not looking to debate the two. Just want to know which one you think would be the choice for you. Yes I know we all hear things in different ways, but we all use reviews as a base line.
Parasound P5 $1098.00
Emotiva XPS-1 GEN 2 $999.00

I don't really need a DAC or Balanced connections. These are bonus items. I do need Bass management. Putting all the importance on sound, in your opinion which unit has the better playback. My definition of better is a unit that is not BRIGHT sounding. I lean towards the warmer sound of Harman Kardon... FYI.. I feel I do hear a difference in equipment.
As some reference, I found that my Marantz PM8004 and HK3490 had a better sound than my Emotiva USP-1... However the USP-1 had a cleaner sound to it.

If you were buying today, which of the above two would be the one to get?
Thanks

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's a tough call, and just about a wash on which one is really "better".

I think the Parasound carries a bit more "prestiege" and has a little better fit and finish.

You can save a little extra $ if you find a XSP-1 gen 1 on the used market. Emo has a fully transferable warranty, so it gives a bit more confidence when buying used.

On the other hand, you can probably find the Parasound as a demo or from a B&M dealer for less than MSRP.

My 2 channel rig is a USP-1 and a Parasound 1206.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I am a big Emotiva fan and hear so much good stuff about the Parasound Halo series... Been raking over this for a few weeks and can not deiced.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Are the responses going to sway your decision? If your concerned about bright, which I personally wouldnt be, why not roll off the highs with eq?

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Halo Homer here, This is tough to say but since you don't need a dac and already own Emo gear, I would go with the xsp-1.
You would have to get close to 20% off the Parasound from a local dealer to price match the two due to taxes and the ID dealers aren't known to deal on Halo.
Cheers, Mac

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Easy choice for me. Parasound all the way even if it costs a bit more. I've had Parasound products products in the past and always liked them a lot.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Yes. Opinions here MIGHT sway my decision or at least help me make one. To throw another question out there... How reliable have Parasound products been to owners here? As many know here I have had trouble with Emotiva products.... But they were always taken care of by them and fixed or replaced..

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes. Opinions here MIGHT sway my decision or at least help me make one. To throw another question out there... How reliable have Parasound products been to owners here? As many know here I have had trouble with Emotiva products.... But they were always taken care of by them and fixed or replaced..
My USP-1 gets used daily and has performed flawlessly for about 18 months. My XDA-1 has been flawless too, but doesn't get used daily.

My Parasound 1206 has also performed flawlessly for about 18m months. Now, I bought this one used off ebay, so it's going on ~15 years old and I can't speak to how it was treated before I got it.

I forgot about your previous problems with Emo.......with that in mind, if I were you, I would be leaning more towards the Parasound. Also, if you don't have any experience with Parasound, then it is a good opportunity to explore a new company. On the other hand, the Emo gear will match your other emo gear and those do look pretty slick all stacked together.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I initially thought the P5 was single ended. But it does have balanced input. The Emotiva is a true differential design. Both will most likely sound transparent. A Pre amp shouldn't do anything to the sound. You will be hearing the source, not the pre-amp.

I would base my purchase on what my connectivity needs are. If you need USB in and DAC that the Parasound offers then the Parasound. If you want the ability to go fully balanced from source on through amp, and don't need the DAC section, I would get the Emotiva.

I would get both in at the same time. Perform an evaluation and send one back. Audioadvisor has a good return policy that you can get the Parasound from.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Would be nice to get both at the same time. Funds won't offer that option. The Balanced OPTION is more enticing than the DAC since I own the Emotiva XDA-1.. That and I seldom listen to anything other than CD.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Take a look on Audiogon and eBay. Many 15-20 year old Parasound amps and preamps for sale in working condition.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Would be nice to get both at the same time. Funds won't offer that option. The Balanced OPTION is more enticing than the DAC since I own the Emotiva XDA-1.. That and I seldom listen to anything other than CD.
Going balanced is preferable. You will get a lower noise floor. If going balanced, assuming the XPS-1 is properly designed, would be my choice due to it being balanced from I to O.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
And the noise floor is loved with it's dead silent. Thanks.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Going balanced is preferable. You will get a lower noise floor. If going balanced, assuming the XPS-1 is properly designed, would be my choice due to it being balanced from I to O.
Is this true when runs are under 6 feet?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Is this true when runs are under 6 feet?
It's a function of CMNR connections. Nothing to do with the shortness of run. At the output you gain 3dB of performance over single ended.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's a function of CMNR connections. Nothing to do with the shortness of run. At the output you gain 3dB of performance over single ended.
He pretty much nailed it right here.

A good single ended design should still have a noise floor below the human perception. But, balanced measures better and specs better on paper.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Ha... and Ugh... None of this is helping me. No fault to anyone here... This has been a tough decision for me for some reason... I do almost feel more comfortable going with Emotiva since I have used their products the last three years. Their customer service stepped up and helped me out too... I just see Parasound being a better product. Might be all in my head however.

jinjuku

jinjuku

From merely a case top off perspective I wouldn't say the build quality is better for either. I also think either would be fine.

Put both on a credit card. Send one back. Even if you paid 13% interest while you wait for $1K to hit your bank account on refund you would only be out the ~$10-11 plus the shipping.

You have to ask: What does my curiosity cost me? For all the higher end components you are willing to splurge on I'm surprised there is not any $$ budgeted for making sure your curiosity is sated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis