Paradigm vs Bose Acoustimass 16

H

Hammer

Enthusiast
I currently have 4 Paradigm mini monitors (as front & back speakers), Paradigm CC350 center and Paradigm PDR10 sub-woofer with a Sony STR-DE995 receiver and Benq PE8700 projector as my Home theater system. I think the speakers are about 6 years old and I'm not awed with audio performance. So, I'm starting an upgrade process. My intentions are the Yamaha RX-V2500 to replace the Sony and to purchase speakers in the $1200 range. Thats what led me to the Acoustimass 16. It seems like there are 2 camps when it comes to Bose; either you hate'm or love'm and I'm not sure how OBJECTIVE either camp is really being. I'm not predisposed to buy Bose but again I am not wowed by my current paradigms (maybe its the receiver???). I'm looking for some recommendations for a complete speaker system in that $1200 range. I know its not much but all I can afford and want to spend wisely. I guess I can keep the paradigm subwoofer as a second unit in the new system. Any suggestions/advise for the speaker upgrade?

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Best suggestion (and I'll try to keep any Bose prejudice out) is listen to them. If you like the Bose better than the Paridigm then go for it. Personally, I think for the same price if you do the research you can find better speakers for the same price as the Bose, but ultimately it's your dicision. If the Bose blow you away compared to Paradigm mini-monitors (which I believe are Paradigm's next step up from their Peformance series), well... personally, I don't see how that is possible. ;)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'll second that. Bose really can't compare to Paradigm, at any level. What exactly is missing from your system? Is it the sheer impact when you're watching movies? If you find that your system seems to be lacking on the low-end impact, you might want to check into a bigger/better sub.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, the bose would be tge quickest way to throw away that money in one swell foop

... but with 1200 you can get much, much better stuff and it's as easy as falling off a log.

Your options for better speakers are legion. The odds of randomly choosing speakers in that price range that improve on the Bose are akin to those of having to draw a card higher than a deuce. Read some reviews here and/or lurk for a while.

H

Hammer

Enthusiast
I guess what I'm missing is loudness if that makes sense. I have tile floor over concrete slab in my den w/ cathedral-like ceiling about 20' high at highest point. Seem like I need to crank up the receiver to get decent audio. Should have mentioned that I'm using Samsung HD Directv receiver w/ digital coax link to receiver.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Ah, that's the problem. The mini-monitors are great speakers, but they just can't move the kind of air they need to sound good in a room as big as yours. The Bose would be even worse. Much worse.

I think your best bet might be to do your upgrades in stages. You'll end up spending more than $1200, but you'll have a better result. I'd start with a good pair of Paradigm floorstanding speakers, and if you can afford it, a bigger center speaker to match. Then just let the minimonitors hold up the rear for awhile. The reason I suggested more Paradigms is because it's a good practice to timbre match your speakers.

You may eventually want to look into getting a better reciever or possibly some separate amps for your front speakers so they can have some extra juice.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
:) Agree. Spend the $1200 on some new mains and center. This is going to give you the most SPL for your money.

A pair of Monitor 7's and a CC370 can be had for $1179.00 plus tax. :)

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I've never been a fan of your receiver. I'd consider adding an amp to that and buying larger fronts right now. Later, maybe change the center channel and definately upgrade the sub. In a room that size, you need to move tons of air and a bigger (or second) sub will do that.

Also, try some acoustic treatments (such as carpeting, foam, curtains...) to help deaden reflections...sounds like some hard surfaces in your rooms.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
First, what's wrong with the sound? How did you even conclude that the Bose would be a suitable alternative?. I would suggest there are lots of other speakers which might provide the sound you are looking for but it's hard to know without you describing what you DON'T like about your Paradigm system

I know what the Paradigms sound like, and while not perfect, I think it's unlikely you'll find anything about the Bose system that is going to outperform your current Paradigm system. There is some huge flaws in the Bose sound, and unless you prefer an uneven frequency response, then they are not going to outperform your Paradigms.

H

Hammer

Enthusiast
Thanks for the great advice. As mentioned the Yamaha RX-V2500 is in the near horizon so that in itself should help. I'm just waiting to confirm if the Fall units of the V2500 will have XM radio built in. I'm an avid XM fan so, i'm trying to be patient for 5 months or so.
I guess I'll head back and take a listen at a Paradigm upgrade as suggested. The only problem is that I was hoping to shrink spealker footprints (making the wife less objectionable to buying new system). Guess ya can't have everything, right?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Don't forget about tons of distortion, inability to produce high SPLs, those AWESOME 2-inch paper cones that can't do treble or midrange, a crappy 6-inch "subwoofer" in a cheap bandpass enclosure made with LDF, and a crossover right next to the amplifier in the "bass module".

Can you feel the hate for Bose here?

Nope. It's really impossible to get more sound without increasing driver area. You might be able to achieve the sound you want with a larger bookshelf speaker, perhaps something in a D'Appolito array ( it looks like this)

W
T
W​

Still, in a room of your size, I think your best bet is still to go for floorstanders. Paradigm's speakers are quite nice looking, so that should help a little.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Hammer said:
The only problem is that I was hoping to shrink spealker footprints (making the wife less objectionable to buying new system). Guess ya can't have everything, right?
There are definitely limits to how well a mini-speaker can perform. Bose is not immune to the laws of physics, and their very tiny cubes has less technology in them than what's inside your Paradigm. They use inferior paper cones that cover less of the frequency range, so they are absolutely bound to sound worse.

There are some good mini-speakers out there like Energy's Encore system, but even those will lose out in audio reproduction compared to any non-compact system when it comes to fullness of sound.

The only impressive ultra tiny system I've heard is the Mission M-Cubes , but they are mucho expensive (more than $2000 a set). And even those would easily be outperformed by a full size speaker set costing much less.

H

Hammer

Enthusiast
Thanks nm2285, Zumbo, Jaxvon and others. I really am not pushing the Bose. I just wanted to bounce it by the professionals (you guys) as an option for my solution. Its been resoundingly clear that it would be a mistake to pursue Bose as a replacement. I do believe that the size and hard surfaces in the room are contributing to the problem. If I go w/ Monitor 7's, CC 370, and keep mini's for rears, which sub would best match that config?

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
AAhh! Yet another person saved from that marketing trap brought to us by BOSE! Way to throw him a life preserver guys, I didn't feel like throwing my opinion into the mix on this controversial topic!

CUDOS!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The sub doesn't really need to be timbre matched like the rest of the speakers. That said, since you have a lot of volume to fill, I really don't think that 10-inch sub you have can crank like you want it to. It's a fine sub, but just isn't big enough.

Check out the offerings from Hsu and SVS. While there are other companies like Velodyne, VMPS, Bag End, and others that make quality subs, to get a sub in your price range, you're going to end up with a product that won't have the performance of a Hsu or SVS. Besides, VMPS would require an external amp, despite it's goodness.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
jaxvon said:
The sub doesn't really need to be timbre matched like the rest of the speakers. That said, since you have a lot of volume to fill, I really don't think that 10-inch sub you have can crank like you want it to. It's a fine sub, but just isn't big enough.

Check out the offerings from Hsu and SVS. While there are other companies like Velodyne, VMPS, Bag End, and others that make quality subs, to get a sub in your price range, you're going to end up with a product that won't have the performance of a Hsu or SVS. Besides, VMPS would require an external amp, despite it's goodness.
I agree. However, Paradigm subs are no slouch. If you can get a good price as a package deal with a Paradigm sub, might as well. But, the SVS and HSU do seem to get alot of praise. ;)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
You will definitely get better sound from a higher end receiver. I had a similar receiver, only a few model years earlier. It was the Sony STR DE925. Going from that to the Denon 3805 was like comparing Bose to Paradigm :p .

You can't imagine the headroom, separation, and power the Denon has over the Sony. Before you go out and drop $1500 on new speakers, check into swapping your receiver for a better unit. My Denon, in weight alone, is over 40lbs while my Sony was around 25. Night and day my man. Gave the Sony to my younger brother who is now happy as a clam.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Hammer is gonna geta Yammie 2500!

Please Hammer, don't hurt 'em. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis