Paradigm sub just quit working......

J

jfabes

Audioholic Intern
I've had my Paradigm PW-2200 for just under 4 years now. Last week, I noticed some sound coming from the tweeters of all my speakers that was there no matter what source and whether the volume was off or on. Sounding like a humming/buzzing interference, I assumed it had to be my panamax sp or antenna, or something. Through a series of plugging and unplugging everything, I found it was the sub plugged into the panamax that was causing the problem. Next, I went directly to the outlet with the sub - the same one the panamax was plugged into and the sound was still there. So, I then plugged the sub into the receiver and the sound stopped. Awesome. About an hour later, I noticed that the little orange power/signal light on the sub was off....and so was the sub. When I flipped the switch from "auto on" to "always on", the light came back on, but no sound is output.

Here's where it gets interesting. When I leave the switch to "auto on", the light stays on for a while then goes off - but no sound is ever heard. When I flip the switch to "always on", the light stays on all the time, but no sound is heard. Regardless, no sound. Was the interference a way of telling me it was about to die???

So, do ya'll think its my 4yr old PW2200 subwoofer or my 4 week old 74txvi?

The warranty with their subs is 3 years, its been almost 4. The local dealer (which is not where I bought it) said they would remove the amp and send it back to Paradigm - but that I would have to pay since the warranty is expired. I have no idea what this will cost. And, because I live in Texas, but bought the sub in Vancouver, BC (from an auth dealer), the local dealer said the warranty isn't valid anyway because its out of its contry of origin.

Any advice or help is appreciated on this one, I'm clueless as to what to do.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Oh no, not another paradigm sub thread! :rolleyes:

You might be hooped. I suggest buying a better quality subwoofer.

Seems these models of paradigm subs tend to break alot.

SheepStar

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Sheep said:
Oh no, not another paradigm sub thread! :rolleyes:

You might be hooped. I suggest buying a better quality subwoofer.

Seems these models of paradigm subs tend to break alot.

SheepStar
Uncalled for.:mad:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can test it by switching either to speaker level inputs or use one of the main preamp outputs from the receiver. My guess would be something in the amp died as well. I'd guess it is going to cost you a lot less to have them replace the amp than it would to get a new sub. If you do consider a new sub, take a look at the offerings from www.svsound.com and www.hsuresearch.com

J

jfabes

Audioholic Intern
j_garcia said:
You can test it by switching either to speaker level inputs or use one of the main preamp outputs from the receiver. My guess would be something in the amp died as well. I'd guess it is going to cost you a lot less to have them replace the amp than it would to get a new sub. If you do consider a new sub, take a look at the offerings from www.svsound.com and www.hsuresearch.com
okay, now i'm scared.....i used the speaker level inputs and the sub works just fine. i also used one of the other preamp outputs (one for the front left), and again, it works fine.

since the lfe input on the sub works when using one of the other preamp outs of the receiver, does that mean the sub preapm lfe out on the receiver is bad :eek:

its the 74txvi and its only 4 weeks old - bought from an online retailer (which means the warranty is ???) :mad:

help :confused:

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Maybe the subwoofer out is turned off in the settings of the 74txvi, its a long shot. If all the settings are right see if you can reset the 74txvi, if that doesn't work then you'll have to get it checked out.

cheers:)

ht_addict

ht_addict

Audioholic
jfabes said:
okay, now i'm scared.....i used the speaker level inputs and the sub works just fine. i also used one of the other preamp outputs (one for the front left), and again, it works fine.

since the lfe input on the sub works when using one of the other preamp outs of the receiver, does that mean the sub preapm lfe out on the receiver is bad :eek:

its the 74txvi and its only 4 weeks old - bought from an online retailer (which means the warranty is ???) :mad:

help :confused:
Check your settings in the setup menu off the receiver and see if it accidently got turned off. Do a processor reset, should be in the manual and setup your system again and see what happens. If its the receiver take it back for a new one.

J

jfabes

Audioholic Intern
okay guys, thanks a mill...... I reset everything and it came on and everything works. fronts are set to 'small' and sub is set to 'yes'. BUT, it seems that when I did the MCACC, it set the fronts to 'large' and the even though the sub was set to 'yes' it doesn't ever come on and that's why the signal light goes out.

with the fronts set to large, i have to set the sub to 'yes-plus' for it to come on.

it doesn't specifiicially say in the manual that if the fronts are set to 'large' the sub will not work even if its set to 'yes'. apparently, the receiver thinks that my fronts supply enough bass and won't allow the sub to kick on. the 'yes-plus' is the override feature.

does all this make sense.....'cause with my old denon, i had the fronts set to large and the sub to yes and everything was fine. :confused:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
For my Yamaha, Fronts can be set to large or small, and subwoofer set to yes or no. Then, theres a bass option thats mains, sub, both.

The sub only turns on with sub and both.

SheepStar

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
jfabes said:
So, I then plugged the sub into the receiver and the sound stopped.
Do you mean you plugged the power cord directly into your receiver power outlet?

This is not advised for sure. the power cord should be plugged directly into your wall outlet unless you have a suitable surge protector/pwr conditionner in between.

J

jfabes

Audioholic Intern
Sheep said:
For my Yamaha, Fronts can be set to large or small, and subwoofer set to yes or no. Then, theres a bass option thats mains, sub, both.

The sub only turns on with sub and both.

SheepStar

that sounds similar then. because while i can still select yes for the sub and large for mains, the sub doesn't actually come on until i hit yes-plus.

i think this is similar to the denon's lfe+main as well as your yamaha setting

J

jfabes

Audioholic Intern
HookedOnSound said:
Do you mean you plugged the power cord directly into your receiver power outlet?

This is not advised for sure. the power cord should be plugged directly into your wall outlet unless you have a suitable surge protector/pwr conditionner in between.

oh, i didn't realize that. i thought that's what the 12 trigger was for on the receiver... dvd, sub, etc. let me try it to the panamax again and see if the interference noise comes back.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, a subwoofer draws too much power to be plugged into the receiver. That outlet is for low-current devices only, IE DVD players, VCRS, etc. A subwoofer should get it's own outlet on your Panamax conditioner.

J

jfabes

Audioholic Intern
jaxvon said:
Yeah, a subwoofer draws too much power to be plugged into the receiver. That outlet is for low-current devices only, IE DVD players, VCRS, etc. A subwoofer should get it's own outlet on your Panamax conditioner.

got it, thanks. i plugged the sub back into the panamax and everything is cool.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
My brother tried to run a TV off those outlets. They no longer work.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis