Paradigm Studio 20 at Hear No Evil: Speaker/Store Reviews by Marshall Part 1

• Thread starter Marshall_Guthrie
  • Start date
Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Intro and all review links are gathered in this thread.

[/COLOR]http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/87531-intro-speaker-store-reviews-marshall.html

--The Store--

My first stop was Hear No Evil in Salem, Oregon. I called ahead and using my set opener “Hi, my name is Marshall and I’d like to listen to the Paradigm Studio 10s” returned my first disappointment. “We don’t have the Studio 10s in store, but we do have the Studio 20.” Okay, close enough.

Hear No Evil is a combo hi-fi and car audio storefront. They stock a lot of quality product and aren't afraid to show it. In addition to several small listening rooms and a wall of premium headphones, they had a McIntosh Labs Amp, literally, on a pedestal as you walk in, and the front system, right by the door, featured the $24,000 B&W 800 Diamond speakers (I believe; I didn’t want to get too close.) The Paradigms shared space with a few of their siblings, as well as some models from B&W. What I saw spanned many price points, but stay mainly to big, well-known brands.

Dan was super helpful greeting me almost immediately, ushering me to the Paradigm room after inquiring what I'd like to listen too, and getting my test CD set and levels up. The Studio 20 were matched with a set of Rotel solid state separates presumably from about the same budget class (I failed to get the models). Jeff was super patient as I worked my way through the tracks, and shared some banter about the music and speakers.

--The Speaker--

One question that I have found helpful when shopping for speakers is, AFTER you have listened and formed your own impressions, ask the dealer "How would YOU characterize the sound and performance of these speakers?" In theory, they've logged a lot of hours on their products, and their impression can help to confirm your own. Dan agreed with me that the Paradigms handled power beautifully maintaining good distortion-free resolution at higher volumes, and that they imparted a touch of a low-mid emphasis. He noted a slightly accentuated high-end which I didn't, perhaps because I was used to my lively JBL pure titanium tweeters. Frankly, the relative restraint of the Studio 20 was a relief. Dan suggested that the Rotel Amplification also skewed bright, and that a more neutral power plant might help.

Overall, these speakers matched the SVS to my ear which means I thought they were a top-notch speaker. They played loud and clean while remaining constrained in all areas but the lower mids, which could have also been attributed to the room modes in the approximately 12x15 foot room. Between the two, it would be a toss up, which put the Paradigms tied with my baseline at the top of my purchase list.

Many will find them better looking than the SVS with their curved cabinets and non-black finish options. But, I don't know if I could run them sans grill with their T-800 inspired driver rings, and I personally put the angular style of the SVS on par with the curvaceous Paradigms.

The Studio 20 were set atop Paradigm’s matching stands. The stands perfectly mirrored the aesthetic of the speaker, and bolted to the bottom for a sturdy setup. They were a bit out of my price range at $498/pair, but I could easily justify them with a larger pocketbook.

--The Takeaway--

Hear No Evil was a great demo experience, and the quality of the gear is a real treat considering they are only 30 minutes away from my little rural neck of the woods. Dan was super patient, down to earth, and not at all pushy or condescending. With lots of gear at any budget point, this is a must shop for home or car audio, including installs.

The Paradigm Studio 20 were really impressive with a clear, detailed presentation and only the slightest bit of low-mid emphasis that can be typical in a small speaker voiced to operated without a subwoofer. Trusting the the sibling speaker on my list, the Studio 10, would perform similarly, I had no problem putting them on par with my baseline SVS at the top of my list.

Visit Hear No Evil If: You want a relaxing shopping experience with some truly great gear for every type of customer.

Avoid If: You're looking for lots of esoteric products.

Last edited by a moderator:
pg_rider

pg_rider

Audioholic
I had Paradigm Studio 10s and used VTI DF stands -- much cheaper than Paradigms (I think they're around $100/pr) DF Series

I've since moved up to LSA Monitor One speakers (never could get used to the Paradigm tweeter) and swapped up to the nicer VTI VSP stands, which are still significantly cheaper than the Paradigm stands. VSP Series Hope that helps :)

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Thank you for the stand recommendations. I've been toying with the idea of just extending my Ikea Besta and using risers/Mopads, as well as DIYing some filled TNT Stubby stands (which would allow me to have a custom height and top mounting plate), but at the end of the day, a commercial stand would be the quickest and easiest.

Of course, if depending on the speaker model I go with, there may be other custom-fit solutions like the Ascend stands.

Thanks again, and I've saved the VFI in my notebook.

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
Just wanted to add my impressions very briefly: I heard both the Paradigm Studio 20 and Studio 10 recently, although at different stores. Both felt very accurate, fast, clear and punchy. The Studio 10 had less emphasis and extension at the low end, comparatively (obvious) and in an absolute sense too. I might be happy running the Studio 20 without a sub, but probably not the Studio 10. Overall, I had the impression of brightness and a forward sound with these speakers. My only complaint is that I might find them to be a bit fatiguing after a long stretch.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
My system is based around 20s with 10s for surrounds. I almost always use a sub so really could have used 10s all around. I find them to be clear and detailed and not at all fatiguing. Tastes will vary, though.

Jim

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Just wanted to add my impressions very briefly: I heard both the Paradigm Studio 20 and Studio 10 recently, although at different stores. Both felt very accurate, fast, clear and punchy. The Studio 10 had less emphasis and extension at the low end, comparatively (obvious) and in an absolute sense too. I might be happy running the Studio 20 without a sub, but probably not the Studio 10. Overall, I had the impression of brightness and a forward sound with these speakers. My only complaint is that I might find them to be a bit fatiguing after a long stretch.
My musical tastes are pretty diverse and include lots of sample and synth elements down low, so I really don't ever listen without subs for critical listening.

Agreed on the brightness as that seems to be a common comment on these. I really do think my personal preference for treble detail has me skewing towards bright in my tastes. But yes, my JBLs are great at first, but fatiguing after a bit. I do know that if I had to choose between recessed lows, mids, and highs, letting go of the highs would be my last choice. Also the reason I wear Etymotic ER-20 plugs at concerts, sporting events, airplanes...

pg_rider

pg_rider

Audioholic
Well said, but like jliedeka's counterpoint to my opinion proves, it's probably a fine line between a speaker being "bright and fatiguing" and "detailed and revealing". For me, the Studio 10s were just over the line...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis