Paradigm Signature S8 Damage - Should I Repair?

Z

zpoint

Enthusiast
See my posting under General AV Discussion for more background but the short story is that I recently purchased a set of Paradigm Signature S8's, C5 and ADP3's from a seller on Audiogon and they arrived in a "not so new" condition. I received a price list of the replacement parts from Paradigm and it looks like the insurance coverage will suffice by a few hundred bucks. Here's my question....

Along with a few damaged drivers, there was cabinet damage to one of the S8's and the C5 center channel. Replacement cabinets are available from Paradigm though I have the following concerns if I were to persue getting these repaired versus writing them off for full coverage:

(1) Barring quality control issues, is there any "accoustical" benefits to getting factory assembled speakers versus me moving the hardware to the new cabinets? Does Paradigm do any kind of calibration after assembly or is it just cosmetic & functional QC?

(2) Since the other S8 had no damage to the cabinet, should I be concerned that there may be any sublte differences in the (cherry) finish between the new cabinet and the other S8? FYI, the ones I have were purchased new in January of this year.

(3) Are the S8's "matched" in any way such that a different batch of drivers or cabinets made from two very different time periods would have differences in sound?

Bottom line is that I'm wondering if I should push to get reimbursed not only for the visible damage to my speakers but also get a replacement cabinet for the other S8 just so that I have two cabinets with matching finish and sound properties. Even if I do, I'm left wondering if there are additional audible benefits that are performed at assembly time via calibration testing, etc. All of this assumes too that the removal of the old S8 & C5 hardware & drivers can be done by a person skilled in electronics/mechanics/wood working (me!)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hm. I would contact Paradigm themselves, and have them assuage as many of your fears as they can.

Paradigm is known to have very good QC, so far as I have read, including unit to unit variation. Since this is their very top of the line stuff, I assume the QC will hold up.

I have never seen finishes that vary a lot with any speaker model.

I have no fear with you in installing it yourself.

My primary concern is the actual damage to cabinet integrity; not different drivers, different xovers (but ask anyways), etc.

I believe the Sigs have extensive bracing, so the chances that they are uncompromised could be pretty decent. Take a look-see inside with a flashlight, all angles.

Sorry I can't help more, I'm not a speaker expert.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I think jostenmeat has this one covered. I would also call Paradigm just to be sure. I can tell you from experience that changing out the drivers is pretty easy. Never tried the crossover though. The new drivers will probably be slightly different from the old ones. If I remember correctly, the new midrange drivers I put in were a little lighter than the old ones. I can't pick out any differences in performance, but I haven't done any measurements either.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Additional thoughts. For the question regarding "calibration" after assembly, there is no such thing, as the crossover represents the calibration already.

The xover install is almost as easy as a driver install. Just a screwdriver. The tricky part could be feeding the wires from xover to respective drivers, in the sense that you might have to negotiate getting the wire through the bracing, and/or insulation that you just might pull out to begin with to make it easier.

With my own speakers, these wires are to be twist tied to the cabinet wall (the twist tie is stapled if you're curious).

I had a bit of an obstacle, however, because my replacement xover did not have clear/easy labelings (where the original did) of which wire goes to exactly which driver, and which polarity for that matter. However, I'm almost certain I figured it out now, but it's not due to any knowledge of how to test with a multimeter, haha.

Most of the wires on my xover make it easy in terms of polarity, because the negative wires have smaller/thinner terminals, that go on the smaller/thinner terminals on the drivers. However, this convenience is lacking for the tweeter.

Lastly, instead of calling, I would try an email. List any written things on any of your existing drivers. Also your xover. Photos of xover and driver markings might be a good idea. The serial numbers of all speakers in question. Then you will probably have the best chance of getting the best information and advice.

Z

zpoint

Enthusiast
If that is possible, that's what I would do.:D

Wouldn't that be less of a hassle to get your money first and shop later?:D
If I were buying the latest V3 setup, I would be doing this in a heartbeat. My hesitation lies in that I originally auditioned the V2's and I'm content with buying a nice used set of Signature V2's. I've been shopping around for the past 5 months or so and this was the first time I found all five for sale at once, 7 months old, for a good price no less. If I start all over and push for full coverage (which is about $1,500 shy of the repair costs), I would consider a new set of V3's. But then unless I found the deal of the century, I don't think I could afford the V3 route until next Summer :( Wait for a good set of V2's or wait and save up for the V3's :confused:

I'll definitely take others advice and call Paradigm about the cabinet swap. I've already spoken to them regarding parts pricing but didn't think of asking them if it's recommended to replace the cabinet in this situation without fear of any cosmetic or audible degredation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis