Paradigm Servo 15 v.2 - Constant Thumping (Heartbeat)

JWhite

JWhite

Enthusiast
Ok I have had this sub for about 10 years. Never experienced any issues, and for most of the time I have left the power switch set to Auto.

Last week I was awoken to a constant thump thump thump thump (receiver was left on overnight)...even after removing the RCA cable to my receiver, whenever the sub is powered on (switch set to On) it will thump constantly. If I set it to auto and it is connected to my receiver (via RCA), as soon as the receiver is powered on and a signal is sent, the thumping will begin again (and NOT to the sound signal - it is like a heartbeat).

Any ideas what the issue could be and can I fix this myself (or check for visual issue) or does this require an electronics store (expert) to look at it?

Thanks in advance

JWhite

JWhite

Enthusiast
Anybody have an idea or what I should I do

This has never happened to me before with a sub, so I don't know if the amp is fired, the servo is gone or something else...

HELP!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt there's anything you can do about it altho if it were me I'd already have removed the driver and amp to see if there's anything obvious I could do about it just in case :) (aside from working on the amp itself, which is over my head). I'd suspect it's time for an amp technician to check it out for you (and I'd remove the amp to make that easier to deal with). You might also contact Paradigm for ideas/repairs/replacement.....

JWhite

JWhite

Enthusiast
Thanks lovinthehd.

I removed the amp and looked at the boards and such and could not see anything burnt. The fuses looked ok as well. I have not taken out the driver, but from the outside, looks fine, but who knows. I am at a loss here...sucks because that sub kicks ass!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks lovinthehd.

I removed the amp and looked at the boards and such and could not see anything burnt. The fuses looked ok as well. I have not taken out the driver, but from the outside, looks fine, but who knows. I am at a loss here...sucks because that sub kicks ass!
The power supply has failed and pulsing DC through the speaker. Those switching power supplies are generally a misery to fix.

At 10 years old, I would invest in a new sub and not go the service route, if you can even find someone to do it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks lovinthehd.

You could also simply bypass the onboard amp and add an external amp, too. Like TLS guy says, finding someone to work on such is getting hard to find....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You could also simply bypass the onboard amp and add an external amp, too. Like TLS guy says, finding someone to work on such is getting hard to find....
Well, SMPS have always been a bit difficult to work on (relative to an unregulated linear design). I would suspect a lot of Surface Mount parts in there.

JWhite

JWhite

Enthusiast
I am going to call around this morning and see if I can find someone to look at it or at least describe what is happening. There is a local shop which has been here for over 30 years that I trust, so I will cal them first and see what they say.

JWhite

JWhite

Enthusiast
You might also contact Paradigm for ideas/repairs/replacement.....
Called Paradigm and they were very helpful and provided some details
  1. Could be the servo circuit - so they provided details to disconnect, which can be done, but I need to reduce to the volume (it will be louder is what was explained to me)
  2. Could be the amp - indicated I would need to remove the rear panel and send in. A lot of the times it is a dried up cap and most often they do not charge for small parts.
  3. If it is a full rebuild of the amp, this will be expensive...so if that is the case...buh-bye Servo 15
At least I have something to try this evening.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis