Paradigm Persona Series Loudspeakers Preview & Demo

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Paradigm has just stepped up their high end game with the introduction of the Persona™ Series. Developed over five years, this flagship lineup, entirely designed, engineered, and Crafted in Canada, is said to provide an unprecedented level of realism and transparency. Paradigm’s Persona is said to be the only loudspeaker in its class to achieve this level of performance using Beryllium material for both midrange and tweeter drivers. We got to hear a personal demo of these babies at CEDIA.

See what we though and let us know if Paradigm Persona will be your next dream speaker.

Read: Paradigm Persona Series Loudspeakers Preview & Demo

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Gene. Looking forward to reading your review on this new series.

H

heroesunplugged

Audioholic Intern
Yamaha NS-1000 uses a dome beryllium mid and tweeter. Paradigm may be the only company currently producing beryllium drivers in their mid-range and high frequency drivers.

I wonder if the 1000s can benefit from the lenses? Likely a futile notion that the lenses can be acquired from Paradigm. And it is highly unlikely they could work together since the Yamaha's domes are above the surface, rather than recessed slightly behind the speaker's baffle. Somebody with extensive DIY skills and the right equipment might be able to figure it out given an opportunity.

We've gone from cost no object to cost is the object. If the speakers sound as incredible as their aesthetics they'll sell, but they have a lot of competition in this price range (and below). The color options are nice. Good for the WAF!

The input choice of using a speaker level input to the bass driver's internal amp seems a curious choice. I've never heard a sub-woofer that sounds it's best hooked up using the speaker level inputs when line level is available. Line level is always the best solution. My experience is that both the receiver/outboard amps and the speaker's internal amps both run hotter, isn't as clean, and sometimes creates a dip or bump at certain frequencies.

Last edited:
I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Holy cow, the cost of a 7" beryllium midrange driver has to be ridiculous. According to Focal, truextent beryllium foil from Brush Wellman costs more than it's weight in gold.

I know this sounds crazy for a speaker retailing for $7000 (in the case of the Persona B), but it really seems like they must have skimped somewhere here, maybe in the crossover or the cabinet, to still maintain dealer profit margin ratios, unless they are going to sell these internet direct...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The extraordinary cost of beryllium is due to its manufacture and processing. It is very toxic and requires extreme measures to safely process. Once it is set into a cone, it is safe, just don't eat the cone. I am guessing it is one of those things that can be brought down significantly by large scale manufacturing. All of the Persona speakers use the Be same mid-range and tweeter, so they are making a relatively large quantity of them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis