Paradigm Monitor 9 vs. Klipsch RF-82

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
American tv, (I really dont like the place) Has the Klipsch Rf-82's on sale for 768 a pair, from 1,100.

The monitor 9's are 1000 a pair. I love the quality or Paradigm, and i'm pretty sure there a better product. But the budget is getting in the way. I cant demo them next to each other however I listened to the Klipsch today and think they sound ok...What would the audioholics do???

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
I find horns harsh and irritating so I wouldn't purchase a Klipsch, unless MAYBE it was for home theater only, but thats still a maybe. I'd definitely favor the Paradigms.

One thing I keep hearing is to spend an extended period listening to speakers, thats when things like irritating high end that at first sounded like nice detail comes through. At least thats what I hear the experts say. YMMV

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
American tv, (I really dont like the place) Has the Klipsch Rf-82's on sale for 768 a pair, from 1,100.

The monitor 9's are 1000 a pair. I love the quality or Paradigm, and i'm pretty sure there a better product. But the budget is getting in the way. I cant demo them next to each other however I listened to the Klipsch today and think they sound ok...What would the audioholics do???
If you only think they sound ok, then it's not worth purchasing. Audioholics would save up for the product that they really want :D

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
I will admit since I own klipsch they take some getting use too. You can make them a little "warmer" with third party X-overs and such but if you are the type that doesn't like to tinker then go with the others.

I still think klipsch makes great performing speakers. They can get louder than the competition and distort less. When it comes to home theater their horns are hard to match The trade off is to some peoples ears the horn can be harsh and grading especially with music.

Like Timmay said, you need to listen more. The more you audition, the more you will realize if there are any dynamics to the speaker you do or don't enjoy. Don't worry if the place you are audition them from thinks you are weird coming back in again and again. Its not their money, and if they were true audio guys they would understand.

just my .02

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Thanks folks, I really appreciate the insight.:)

Any more info will help.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, I was not favorably impressed with the RF82. In my opinion, Klipsch isn't really worth considering unless you're looking at the Heritage line. Their more mainstream offerings pale in comparison.

Try and haggle for a lower price on the Paradigms.

Also, keep your options open. For example, Def Tech has updated their line, and I've seen closeouts on the now discontinued BP7006 which puts them right in your price range (~$800/pair from ListenUp in Denver, a very good deal for those). It should be easy to find some to audition to see if they're your cup of tea. (I listend to the RF82s against these and preferred the DT.)

But as others have said, don't get something if it's just ok. Take your time and listen. If American TV has a generous return policy or allows in-home auditions, take advantage of it and listen to them in your home.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If at all possible - try to listen to some Definitive Tech speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis