Paradigm MilleniaSub for HiFi Music system? ... space limited.

L

lreinstein

Audioholic Intern
I am trying to enhance my music system... I listen mainly to Jazz and Classical. I have a pair of KEF XQ 40 speakers and i use a Marantz 7001 IA. I think it would be greatly improved by a good quality SubWoofer and am thinking of the Paradigm MilleniaSub. Although my listening room is very large ... the space for the component to keep my wife happy is very small and thus the MilleniaSub might fit the bill

Has anyone used, reviewed or heard this SW for music?

Thanks

Larry

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I haven't heard one, but there's no denying the questionable physics of a 14x3 driver trying to move enough air to pressurize a large space -- not something I'd classify as a good quality subwoofer. I think you'd be doing your KEF mains a disservice. Would a 15" wide RSL Speedwoofer or Hsu VTF-2 meet the wife acceptance factor? If not, maybe you could get a pair of taller subs and use them as end tables. Hidden in plain sight.

L

lreinstein

Audioholic Intern
I haven't heard one, but there's no denying the questionable physics of a 14x3 driver trying to move enough air to pressurize a large space -- not something I'd classify as a good quality subwoofer. I think you'd be doing your KEF mains a disservice. Would a 15" wide RSL Speedwoofer or Hsu VTF-2 meet the wife acceptance factor? If not, maybe you could get a pair of taller subs and use them as end tables. Hidden in plain sight.

Hidden in Plain Sight is actually a good idea. I will take a look and consider the idea. Otherwise I was looking for one that would fit UNDER my stereo shelf which means about 8 inches only of vertical clearance.

I dont know .. the MilleniaSub seems to get good reviews. ... but I get what you are saying in terms of the physics of it. I would like to hear one ... or hear from someone who has.

Also, not sure about using the Pre-Amp out from the Marantz IA. Would a receiver be better with a SubWoofer OUT?? The Marantz is nice because no processing. But balancing the outputs is tricky.

Larry

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
If your primary focus were only jazz music, I'd say based on measurements I've seen that the Paradigm sub might be adequate. But given that concert bass drums often have a fundamental between 16 - 20Hz, and some organ music can contain 16Hz tones, I think your orchestral reproduction would strongly benefit from something not quite so vegan lifestyle. You know, depending on your budget, it might not be a bad idea to have Jim Salk design and build a pair of hidden-in-plain-sight furniture grade subwoofers for you. Might be worth giving him a phone call or email.

Re: no processing, that seems to be another sort of vegan lifestyle choice. Room interactions will cause frequency response at your listening position to be quite a bit different from how your speakers would sound in an anechoic chamber or outdoors. Being able to correct the room response and to align your various speakers in the time domain are two big reasons to use an AVR or preprocessor of some sort. Another is an electronic crossover to high pass your mains and low pass your sub; although some would argue that 3 bass drivers are better than one. I say if your KEF's were up to the task, you wouldn't have started this thread in the first place. :) Since preprocessors typically come at a premium, your best value will probably come from an AVR. If you dig your current amp, you could use an AVR as a preprocessor and keep using your amp to power your KEF's. This refurb Marantz SR7008 would be a great choice. It will independently correct two subwoofers, offers preamp outs for all channels, and it has a very capable automated room correction for your mains as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis