Panel Brightness Flicker..?

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
I have a question reguarding a step in my DVE HD Basics calibration disc(bluray).

I was recalibrating my PANNY TCP54V10 last night. I say recalibrating because I had run through it months ago, but after recieving the new Sound+Vision mag, i read an article that gave some good tips when using a disc to set up your TV.

When i came to the step that checks for the "screen door effect" I at first couldnt tell what I was looking for. I tried changing the HD Size on my TV & then really saw the "effect" it was talking about. So I changed it back & it went away. But then I noticed that the bars on the screen were flickering a bit. When i changed the Panel Brightness on my TV the flickering was always there but more/less apparent depending on the Panel Brightness setting.

Set to Mid or High the flickering was pretty noticeable. But set to Low it almost went away. I had always had my it set on Mid but left it on Low.

My questions are:

Is that slight flickering normal?
Ive never noticed it in my normal TV viewing, but now just curious as to why it would show up on that pluge only.

Is that a sign of a fault in the video processing?
(Sony S550-Monster HDMI to Denon 889-Monster HDMI to TCP54V10)

Has anyone else noticed something similar?

Im very happy with the outcome of the picture quality now & I know thats what is most important. Im not too worried about it but, knowing the wealth of experience & knowledge here, thought i would bring it up & see what kind of information I could get on it.

Thanks guys...!!!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I've watched my friend's 65V10 on a few occasions, and I've never noticed flicker. Maybe the best thing to do is list all* settings here and elsewhere? I've honestly never heard of a plasma that suffered from SDE, well not for any plasma that is natively 1080p.

I am unfamiliar with all of the calibration tools on the unit. However, as you seem to be saying, there is a general setting for low mid high. It's not that simple if you want to dial it in. Basically, AFAIK, I think it's best to always check back on contrast if you dial brightness, and vice versa.

PLUGE patterns are a good place to start though. But when you do so, do it for the ambient lighting that you will use, with eyes adjusted. If you have varying amounts of light, try to set more user modes.

If the V10 is like most panny's, set it to size 2 so you don't lose out on 5% of pic due to overscan. Defeat any and all NRs (as I remember those are defaulted on certain pic modes). This in itself will clear up the pic nicely.

I don't mean to offend you with such basic info, but you never know, so I will also say that make sure 24p is engaged on both* ends, and that means the V10 and optical disc source(s).

edit: I normally use the "new posts" function, and now notice we are in the loudspeaker forum? lol

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Thanks jostemeat for the response. I do appologize for postiong this in the loudspeaker forum & not the display forum. I just noticed that when i came back to check on my post....my bad!

If there is a way to move it over i will but dont know how.

As far as room lighting & all that, I did correct. I am very happy with the calibration & am getting good color, contrast & great blacks. Never see any flicker with Dish or Blurays or any real world viewing for that matter.

Its was JUST on that one pluge pattern. The white bars had a fluttering effect. It may be normal for that to happen & may be nothing. It just caught my attention & made me curious. Ill go ahead & post my settings if it helps answer the question or even help someone with same set to get a better picture.

Panasonic TCP54V10 Plasma
Results of DVE HD-Basics Calibration Bluray

Custom

Contrast: 80
Brightness: 65
Color: 42
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

Warm2
Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: Mid
Panel Brightness: Low
ALL "Tweak" Settings OFF (Sometimes I turn on C.A.T.S)
Didnt change Greyscale
HD Size: 2
All Noise Reductions: Off

Let me know if anyone tries these same settings & likes them. Remember though that EVERY display is different & the best way to get your display looking its best for your environment is to calibrate it. But in the mean time maybe these will give you good results!

Thanks for anymore help!!!...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis