A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I would like to have 65" tv. I am considering Panasonic plasma S2 or V10. I know that V25 is better but the price is too high for me. Can anybody tell if V10 is worth to pay $600 more? Thanks.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
No question the V10 is worth $600 more. The V10 has a much better panel that holds black far better in a lit room. The V10 was last years flagship model while the S2 is this years low end model. I'd find the cash somewhere and go for the V10.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
No question the V10 is worth $600 more. The V10 has a much better panel that holds black far better in a lit room.
I didn't know this. If I did, I forgot. Cheers.

The V10 was last years flagship model while the S2 is this years low end model. I'd find the cash somewhere and go for the V10.
While S2 isn't bottom of the line (there are U2 and C2 for that matter), I also concur with $600 for the V10. 24p @ 96hz is worth at least a couple of hundred to me (likely even more than that), the THX mode is worth money to me, and the more extensive consumer calibration controls are worth money to me. After you add what HiHo has mentioned, yes go for the V10!

W

waxey

Junior Audioholic
I've had the v-10 for a year now I think it worth the extra bucks.Great picture and pleanty of ajustments to suit your taste. I have no regrets at all.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
jostenmeat said:
I didn't know this. If I did, I forgot. Cheers.
The S2 has very good picture quality. It is the lack of any sort of filter on the panel that makes it a problem when there is any light in the room. It is actually a step backward from the S1 which had a filter. In a dark room the S2 looks great. The moment any light shines on the screen it washes out.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The S2 has very good picture quality. It is the lack of any sort of filter on the panel that makes it a problem when there is any light in the room. It is actually a step backward from the S1 which had a filter. In a dark room the S2 looks great. The moment any light shines on the screen it washes out.
This is the first time I've read that, and I may have been misled at the AVS owner's forum. My friend picked an S2 up that I both researched for him, and landed the best deal possible for him.

What I have always read is that the S2 has an AR, but it's just not as good as the upper levels, such as the G20, etc. They never said the S2 was straight up missing one! :(

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
It has an antireflective filter. What it doesn't have is a light filter. When you look at it in direct light with the TV turned off the panel is a lighter gray than, say, a V10. The current G25 and VT25 models have the best light filters I've seen yet.

The S2 doesn't look bad in a lit room. It just doesnt look as good as the other models.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
It has an antireflective filter. What it doesn't have is a light filter. When you look at it in direct light with the TV turned off the panel is a lighter gray than, say, a V10. The current G25 and VT25 models have the best light filters I've seen yet.

The S2 doesn't look bad in a lit room. It just doesnt look as good as the other models.
Ah, thank you for this education.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
Panasonic 65 V10

I would like to thank all of you for the help. I am definetly going to buy V10.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I would like to thank all of you for the help. I am definetly going to buy V10.
Great decision, and best of luck with your set-up and install.
Don't forget we all like pics of new set-ups :)

Highgear

Highgear

Audioholic Intern
No question the V10 is worth $600 more. The V10 has a much better panel that holds black far better in a lit room. The V10 was last years flagship model while the S2 is this years low end model. I'd find the cash somewhere and go for the V10.
The Z1 was the flagship but is only a 54". The V10 was on par and in some cases out did the Z1 when it came to jaggies. The TC-P54Z1 can be had for under $1550 shipped from ecost.com. My Z1 is on it's way and will be here tomorrow!;)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The Z1 was the flagship but is only a 54". The V10 was on par and in some cases out did the Z1 when it came to jaggies. The TC-P54Z1 can be had for under $1550 shipped from ecost.com. My Z1 is on it's way and will be here tomorrow!;)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the main perks of the Z1 over the V10 was a better AR filter?? Cheers, and congrats!!

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I almost forgot about the Z1. I thought it's biggest bragging point was the thin factor. It had a separate wireless media box as well.

Highgear

Highgear

Audioholic Intern
Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the main perks of the Z1 over the V10 was a better AR filter?? Cheers, and congrats!!
I don't know about that, but the big thing was it is only 1" thick. My main reason in buying the Z1 was picture quality and price. I have no need for 3D.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know about that, but the big thing was it is only 1" thick. My main reason in buying the Z1 was picture quality and price. I have no need for 3D.
Heh, well I was curious and ran a keyword search, and lo and behold it's your thread, with the only response saying this:

"That's a really nice TV! It's the first Panasonic model to do away with the extra layer of outer glass, and the first to have the AR filter bonded directly to the plasma panel like on the Kuros."

I've seen the Z1 in action, very briefly, when I went to do a demo of a JVC RS25 I think it was. I liked the Z1 for the few seconds I checked it out.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
I have a V series and a G series Panny. I love both of them. Can't go wrong with the V series at all. THX mode is awesome if you don't want to calibrate your TV.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I have one more request. I currently have Panasonic TC P54S1. Does anybody know how to calibrate it? The numbers will be appreciated. I have OPPO BD83 so I also have Spears & Munsil calibration disc. I am not a pro.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I have one more request. I currently have Panasonic TC P54S1. Does anybody know how to calibrate it? The numbers will be appreciated. I have OPPO BD83 so I also have Spears & Munsil calibration disc. I am not a pro.
Use the calibration disc. If you can do multiple settings for varying amounts of light, then do it. Otherwise, set your ambient light to whatever is the most common setting. Let your eyes adjust.

Start with the PLUGE Low pattern. Read the instructions in the liner notes. Basically start with the blacks: you should start discerning them from the background at #17.

Contrast next, though in my experiences with my PJ, it's usually useless as the results are so off from the PLUGE Low.

Set color, if you have the blue tint with the disc.

Sharpness. Keep going higher if it keeps looking better, but once you see visible noise on the lines or intersections, back off a bit.

Gamma. Use the Image Cropping pattern. Step back as far away from the display as possible. Choose the one where the middle bar blends into the background the best.

After you do some of those, you can still adjust to taste, as I sometimes do.

I will momentarily try to find you settings, but you have to understand, people have varying ambient light conditions, and there is also unit to unit variation with displays.

Here ya go, but they're service menu offsets to begin with. If you are scared to go into SM then don't do it, as there's always a risk. I don't think it would be hard at all, but this sort of thing is not usually typically advised to neophyte consumers. It's prolly easy though.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=654298&postcount=17

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis