Panasonic vs Sony 4K Blueray players

Fredrik

Fredrik

Audiophyte
Hi! im new in this forum and im interested in buying a 4k Blue-ray player, ive looked around a bit and come to the concluesion that there not alot of em...however ive narrowed it down to Panasonic DMP-UB700 and Sony UBP-X800 as the combatants im interested in, i know the Sony Player havent been released yet so my question is as follows :

Would you guys be interested in rewieving these two Blueray players when the Sony is released? from what i can see they are priced about the same in Sweden and the specs are about the same aswell but it would be nice to have some comparison before i decide to buy one of em.

I realize there must be a fair amount of gramatical and spelling errors in this post but i hope you all understand what im trying to say :)

Best regards Fredrik

Fredrik

Fredrik

Audiophyte
New oppo

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Ah im guessing you are speaking about the Oppo UDP-203? yes if i had the economy for such a fine player i would look no further ;) however it's twice the price of the Panasonic and the Sony Player so i have to make due with one of those, although i could eat noodles for 2 mounths and maybe go for the Oppo :)

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
Ah im guessing you are speaking about the Oppo UDP-203? yes if i had the economy for such a fine player i would look no further ;) however it's twice the price of the Panasonic and the Sony Player so i have to make due with one of those, although i could eat noodles for 2 mounths and maybe go for the Oppo :)
I would eat noodles.

R

RBGOBLUE

Audioholic Intern
I have the oppo 105d w the pre.amp in it, and I'm going to get the 203 so noddles it is..

Fredrik

Fredrik

Audiophyte
Seemes i wont have have to worry about what to eat in the near future, the oppo would be the crown of my current setup!

Heco metas XT 701
Heco metas XT 501
Heco metas XT 301
Heco metas XT Center 31
x4 Onkyo SKH 410 ( Atmos Speakers )
x2 SVS PB-1000
Marantz SR 7011
DSPeaker Anti-mode 8033s-II

R

RBGOBLUE

Audioholic Intern
Nice I have the 8802a marantz processor it's amazing

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Panasonic is not so universal as the Sony appears to be. I think the Sony will play multi-channel SACD via HDMI output. This is a feature I would not be without. Multi-channel SACD is still state-of-the-art audio.

Fredrik

Fredrik

Audiophyte
The Panasonic is not so universal as the Sony appears to be. I think the Sony will play multi-channel SACD via HDMI output. This is a feature I would not be without. Multi-channel SACD is still state-of-the-art audio.
This is usefull info, thank you, i will take this in consideration.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
SACD is basically dead also. Discs are still around, but they more or less stopped releasing new ones a few years back. While I love SACD, this would not be a deciding factor that would have me choosing a Panny or Sony over Oppo. The Oppo 103 and 105 do SACD over HDMI.

Between Panasonic and Sony, it is a coin toss. Both will be more similar than not.

S

sterling shoote

SACD is basically dead also. Discs are still around, but they more or less stopped releasing new ones a few years back. While I love SACD, this would not be a deciding factor that would have me choosing a Panny or Sony over Oppo. The Oppo 103 and 105 do SACD over HDMI.

Between Panasonic and Sony, it is a coin toss. Both will be more similar than not.
Hundreds of SACD's out there, new releases too and far from dead my friend. I have two new hybrid SACD's from Diana Krall released recently and others.
Amazon has a huge selection, usually something new every month. And, yes the OPPO's do multi-channel SACD and all other multi-channel formats, HDMI or analog out; but, the OP said he did not have the budget for such.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hundreds of SACD's out there, new releases too and far from dead my friend. I have two new hybrid SACD's from Diana Krall released recently and others.
Amazon has a huge selection, usually something new every month. And, yes the OPPO's do multi-channel SACD and all other multi-channel formats, HDMI or analog out; but, the OP said he did not have the budget for such.
A few discs a year does not make an active format. Even at the peak, mainstream and even good classic popular albums weren't getting remastered and released on SACD. More stuff is getting released on vinyl than SACD lol. I have plenty of SACDs too, but the likelihood of it "catching on" is zero.

R

RBGOBLUE

Audioholic Intern
Nothing better 2 channel, SACD is fun but get the oppo for movies

S

sterling shoote

A few discs a year does not make an active format. Even at the peak, mainstream and even good classic popular albums weren't getting remastered and released on SACD. More stuff is getting released on vinyl than SACD lol. I have plenty of SACDs too, but the likelihood of it "catching on" is zero.
It does not need to catch on, it is what it is, and its not going away. Not to get off the subject, but, I don't believe any of my stereo SACDs sound any better than the same material mastered to CD; however, multi-channel is indeed something to behold. And until some other multi-channel format comes along, I don't think it's gonna be Blu-ray, multi-channel SACD will continue to excite folks like me.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know if it's your thing, but I have a Xbox 1s. It's a very capable Blu-ray player and the 1s will play 4k Blu rays. You can get one for $300.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know if it's your thing, but I have a Xbox 1s. It's a very capable Blu-ray player and the 1s will play 4k Blu rays. You can get one for $300.
I have the Xbox One S, I have tried its, 4K Blue Ray and it works well, just need a remote other than the controler. Microsoft will be soon adding Dolby Atmos soon.

Fredrik

Fredrik

Audiophyte
I have the Xbox One S, I have tried its, 4K Blue Ray and it works well, just need a remote other than the controler. Microsoft will be soon adding Dolby Atmos soon.
oh? do you know if The xbox supports HDR aswell? and since dolby atmos is comming maybe it will get support for DTS X too? if so its very tempting.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It does support HDR as well. You can buy a remote for ~$20 too. It's a little clunky, but it looks cool and it works. My local retailer had them in stock.

*Edit: If you do decide to get one, make sure you get the Xbox 1S, not an Xbox 1. The 1 doesn't support 4k.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis