Panasonic DMP-BD91 setup insanity - can anyone help

B

bartbrn

Enthusiast
I think the quickest way for me to ask this question is to share a letter from my son-in-law and my reply, with his recommendations, and my inabilities to understand how to set this thing up to a Denon AVR3312CI receiver.

My first letter:

<< I'm really sorry to bother you, but I'm completely frustrated and don't who else to ask.

Question 1: My Denon receiver has 13 HDMI inputs. They're each labeled (eg, my maddening Panasonic Blu-Ray player is connected the the input marked "BD," my Roku box is connected to the input marked "Game 1," cable box/DVR is connected to the input marked "Sat/Cbl," etc. Does it matter WHICH component is connected to WHICH HDMI input on the receiver, or does the receiver recognize the signal and just pass it along to the correct circuit path? How about the "Phono" input for the turntable?

Question 2: As I think I told you, I got a MUCH smaller-footprint Panasonic Blu-Ray player, that's supposed to recognize Blu-Ray, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW (+ & -), CD,and I don't know what else (it's connected to the input marked "BD"), but I'm having audio problems I don't understand. I have 2 Blu-Ray discs from the same vendor (same production company, too). One of them plays fine, the other -- without changing any settings -- gives me video, but no audio whatsoever. In some other BDs, like the extended-edition "Lord of the Rings" you kindly gifted me, the main program plays fine, but "extra" stuff like "making of" segments also have perfectly fine video but no audio. Somewhere, either in the Blu-Ray player or the Denon receiver, the audio isn't set-up correctly -- I've asked about this in some of the A/V forums, and gotten completely conflicting advice, but the audio setups that work -- when they work at all -- with the main material seem to be:

Dynamic range: off

Digital Audio Output has 3 selections:

1. Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby True HD set to "Bitstream" (the other choice being "PCM")
2. DTS/DTS-HD HD set to "Bitstream" (the other choice being "PCM")
3. BD-Video Secondary Audio set to "off" (the other choice being "on")

The next audio selection is Downmix, set to "Stereo" (the other choice being "Surround encoded")

The next audio selection is DTS Neo 6, set to "off," (the other choices being "Cinema," or "Music"

Also, this multi-format player has never been able to play a standard DVD, and I haven't even TRIED a burned DVD, or a CD.

Sorry to bother you, but I hope you can help. >>

His reply, with my answers interspersed. I hope this isn't too confusing -- it sure as hell has confused me:

<<
So hook up like so:

Panasonic Blue ray player —> Blu-ray Disc Player
Roku —> DVD player
CableBox —> Sat/Cbl

Did that.

So the Phono input (with the ground lug) will have the RIAA curve added to it, use that only with a turntable, and only with a Moving Magnet cartridge, as it does not have enough gain for a Low Voltage Moving Coil cartridge. If you had a MC cartridge you would need a Step up transformer with the proper gain.

It's an MM.

Ok, So I think you have a setting that is wonky.

Dynamic Range compression —> off

Yup

1. Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby True HD set to PCM

Will ONLY give me video set to Bitstream

2. DTS/DTS-HD HD set to PCM

Will ONLY give me video set to Bitstream

3. BD-Video Secondary Audio set to ON

Bitstream will not work with all disks. BUT PCM will… Also the BD-Video Secondary audio is for your extra material on a disk.

I've never gotten PCM to produce audio OR video, in any setup. I've never gotten Secondary Audio with ANY settings.

You do not want to Downmix I think you can set it to PC

The only choices in "Downmix" are:
"Stereo"
or
"Surround encoded"

'Downmix methods can be switched for multi surround audio playback.
If a device that can switch from 2ch to Multi-ch surround is connected, select "Surround encoded"'

You do not want to set anything to DTS Neo:6,

DTS Neo:6 has always been off

I believe you can also Set your Video mode and Audio Mode to AUTO, that way it will change based on source material.

Here are Video settings available (UNLESS you go into options, where the number of choices is nightmarish)

Can only set "Video" > "Picture Mode" to:
"Normal"
"Soft"
"Fine"
"User"

Picture Adjustment:
Only available in "Picture Mode" > "User"

HDMI Resolution:
Auto* [where it's always been set]
480p
720p
1080i
1080p
* When "Auto is selected, the resolution will be optimally set for your TV in 1080p, 1080i, 720p or 480p

24p output: "off" or "on"*

<< *BD-Video/DVD-Video in 24p, please change this setting to "On" and then change "24p" to "On" located in OPTION >>

Like I said, this separate "option" button on the remote takes you into madhouse of settings, where the number of choices is nightmarish. Just to make it a little worse, you can only GET to OPTIONS at a certain point in the disk's startup, and there are so many choices, it's impossible to go through them all before the OPTIONS overlay screen times out, so for now, I've left the 24p to "off". I've also left "off" 'Deep Color Output' and 'Contents Type Flag'

So, after going through all that, the "F1" Blu-Ray STILL doesn't give me audio -- in either PCM or Bitstream -- in fact NOTHING gives me audio in Bitstream, though in some modes, I DO get video. Also, NO setup gives me secondary audio, period.

I have older, unused, Blu-Ray players and separate DVD players I'm going to try next, but I'm completely flummoxed. It may well be this brand new player is hosed, but it's about as easy getting hold of any kind of tech support at Panasonic that doesn't cost $100 per second as it is to call the Director of the CIA.

Thanks for your help! >>

I hope members of this forum understand this gibberish, and have some suggestions, other than taping C4 to the BD91 and blowing it to dust. Thankfully, I have no C4.

Peace,

Bart Brown

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Lord of the Rings specifically is known to have audio issues with some players. Didn't read the whole thing yet, but for sure installing the latest firmware would be the first thing to do.

No it does not matter which HDMI input it is connected to, but how the audio output on HDMI is configured on the player is important, and Bitstream would normally be correct. Since he does not get video with it set this way, it means there is a compatibility issue with the receiver. PCM should work the vast majority of the tiime but that also depends on the receiver; it is the most compatible, but it seems this particular player has an issue with this receiver. Perhaps a firmware update to BOTH units would help?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What happens when you turn BD video secondary audio to off?

B

bartbrn

Enthusiast
First, does anyone have a recommendation for a player that will ACTUALLY AND RELIABLY play Blu-Ray, DVD, CD, DVD-R/+-RW (MP3, MP4, etc.) and doesn't have the price tag of an F-35?

Now, to my latest experiment:

Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby TrueHD set to PCM
DTS/DTS-HD set to PCM
Downmix set to Stereo
BD-Video Secondary Audio set to OFF
Result: NO main program audio, NO secondary Audio

Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby TrueHD set to BITSTREAM
DTS/DTS-HD set to BITSTREAM
Downmix set to Stereo

Result: main program audio works, NO secondary Audio

Downmix set to Stereo
BD-Video Secondary Audio set to ON

Downmix set to Surround encoded

So, not a peep from secondary audio.

Now, the DVD "Senna"

Exact same results

I need a new player.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First, does anyone have a recommendation for a player that will ACTUALLY AND RELIABLY play Blu-Ray, DVD, CD, DVD-R/+-RW (MP3, MP4, etc.) and doesn't have the price tag of an F-35?

Now, to my latest experiment:

Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby TrueHD set to PCM
DTS/DTS-HD set to PCM
Downmix set to Stereo
Result: NO main program audio, NO secondary Audio

Downmix set to Stereo

Downmix set to Stereo

Downmix set to Surround encoded

So, not a peep from secondary audio.

Now, the DVD "Senna"

Exact same results

I need a new player.
What do you have in the way of secondary audio needs?

B

bartbrn

Enthusiast
What do you have in the way of secondary audio needs?
Commentary, deleted scenes, "making of," especially in the extended BD of Lord of the Rings set, where the "extras" comprise 26 hours of content.

B

bartbrn

Enthusiast
This article explains what happens with secondary audio setting (and others). Might help.
Thanks for the article. Unfortunately, on that page, the section on BD Secondary Audio Setting is cut in half, just when it seems to be getting around to saying something informative:

<< BD Secondary Audio Setting
An additional setting option that may be available on your Blu-ray Disc player is "BD-Secondary Audio". Using this setting combines both the main high-resolution audio (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio) signal with the secondary audio signal - However, if using this setting, the Blu-ray disc player will "down-res" the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD to standard Dolby Digital or DTS in order to be able to squeeze both types of audio signals into the same bandwidth via bitstream.

In this case, your home theater receiver will recognize the signal as [and that's where the paragraph stops, and it does NOT continue anywhere else on the page or site, leaving me to ponder exactly WHAT my "home theater receiver will recognize the signal as," and whatever else that section on the "BD Secondary Audio Setting" might have told me]. >>

Again, can someone PLEASE recommend a reasonably-priced BD player that will ACTUALLY AND RELIABLY play all the disc formats, from every form of BluRay, through commercial DVD, burned DVDs and CDs?

Thanks for your help

Bart Brown

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the article. Unfortunately, on that page, the section on BD Secondary Audio Setting is cut in half, just when it seems to be getting around to saying something informative:

<< BD Secondary Audio Setting
An additional setting option that may be available on your Blu-ray Disc player is "BD-Secondary Audio". Using this setting combines both the main high-resolution audio (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio) signal with the secondary audio signal - However, if using this setting, the Blu-ray disc player will "down-res" the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD to standard Dolby Digital or DTS in order to be able to squeeze both types of audio signals into the same bandwidth via bitstream.

In this case, your home theater receiver will recognize the signal as [and that's where the paragraph stops, and it does NOT continue anywhere else on the page or site, leaving me to ponder exactly WHAT my "home theater receiver will recognize the signal as," and whatever else that section on the "BD Secondary Audio Setting" might have told me]. >>

Again, can someone PLEASE recommend a reasonably-priced BD player that will ACTUALLY AND RELIABLY play all the disc formats, from every form of BluRay, through commercial DVD, burned DVDs and CDs?

Thanks for your help

Bart Brown
Sorry, didn't notice that sentence dropping off like that. Normally I look at the player's manual and see what my setup options are and use them accordingly.

I use a PS3 for most of my bluray needs, a coupla Sony S5100's otherwise, without issue, can't remember last time I wanted to use secondary audio, but assume that there will be limitations of processing/bandwidth for the high res/lossless codecs without changing settings as the article indicates; I know many people have trouble with such without turning off secondary audio, tho. Not sure if it can be fully automatic for what you want to hear just by sliding a disc in....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis