Panasonic DMP-BD35.....Slowww.............?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I've had my BD35 for about a week now.
Fantastic picture, even on my RPCRT TV. DVD up-conversion is much better than the HD-A2 HD-DVD I was using for movies.
The first movies I watched were SD DVDs. The load time of the BD player was lighting fast in comparison to the A2.
However, I've since then watched 2 BD releases; X-files and Step Brothers.
I'm disappointed with the incredibly slow response time in both loading and changing to different parts of the menus.
The Toshiba took forever to start-up and load the movie but once beyond that was pretty responsive. With this Panasonic, the delays are not simply with the loading of the movie, but as I said, present in most aspects of load times.
Is this a BluRay thing? If so, I'll get used to it (I guess). Or would I see an improvement by sending this thing packing and getting either the BD55 or a Sony 350/550? At this point in time these seem to be my best options within the price point I'd like to stay at.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
I just got a BD35K last week and love it. I haven't noticed any unduly long loading times. BD has more info to digest so the initial load can take longer than a normal DVD player but as far as changing menus or navigation mine responds very quickly. I haven't viewed either movie you mention yet but The Hulk works fine - the initial load is about a minute but menus and chapter searches have nearly instant response. The only other BD movie I've screened is The Prestige and it seemed to load faster than Hulk - perhaps :30 or so.

I have yet to connect it to my network to check for firmware updates (or even check the version) but it's working just fine so far. :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The only two things I've heard, but can't confirm, to improve speed.

1. If you don't care that much about BD-Live, then disable it, or drop the Internet connection so the player isn't looking for 'Live' functionality. It will improve responsiveness.

2. Make sure you DO have the latest firmware. Panasonic apparently issues many firmware updates that simply deal with improving the speed of the players.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The firmware is up to date. That was the first thing I did after getting it out of the box. BTW it's much easier to do via a burned CD than the HD-DVD was.

It did cross my mind after my OP that the Internet connection might be the culprit here as the start of the problem coincided with the connection to the net. I'm going to try that once I can get to the TV. Probably later tonight.
At first glance the BD live thing seems like a waste anyway. I can very easily reconnect it when I get the urge.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Nomo, my Panny BD35 does not take very long to load. So far, it has performed flawlessly. Fantastic picture quality and the sound is just incredible to say the least. I just watched Step Brothers the other day and was very impressed with the entire experience. BTW, that movie is hilarious! ;);) Hope your player does better for you.

Cheers,

Phil

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Well it does appear as though the Internet connection was to blame for the slow response times. I won't be messing with that except on occation.

Thanks for the responses.

So, what have we learned here?
Is Big Brother watching our Blurays with us?:eek:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well it does appear as though the Internet connection was to blame for the slow response times. I won't be messing with that except on occation.

Thanks for the responses.

So, what have we learned here?
Is Big Brother watching our Blurays with us?:eek:
Nomo, glad you got it taken care of. BTW, you never know who might be watching. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

V

vinaykagarwal

Audiophyte
The power on/off, open/close and start times are definitely way slower than desired but tolerable. Since it only happens once a movies, I can live with it.

Updating to firmware 1.6 seemed to speed up just slightly.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis