Panasonic BD55 Owners Thread

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I have finally entered the world of Blu-ray:cool:. I am very much a newb to all of this. I have the box in front of me right now, however I can't open it up until x-mas because family is paying for a part of it as my present. It is killing me not to open it!

I guess this will give me time to get familiar with the unit before hand. Any tips, tweaks or any general advice is welcome.

BTW, I will be using the multichannel analog for sound and HDMI from the player to the t.v for video.

Thanks in advance! BD55 owners unite!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I have finally entered the world of Blu-ray:cool:. I am very much a newb to all of this. I have the box in front of me right now, however I can't open it up until x-mas because family is paying for a part of it as my present. It is killing me not to open it!

I guess this will give me time to get familiar with the unit before hand. Any tips, tweaks or any general advice on how to get the best performance possible is welcome.

BTW, I will be using the multichannel analog for sound and HDMI from the player to the t.v for video.

Thanks in advance!
I think you should use HDMI via PCM instead of the analog route. I used my receiver via analog but I wasn't happy with the BM from the player. BTW did they get the promotional 3 BR's from FS as well:D.
Oh I see you don't have a HDMI receiver. Then you're correct!:D

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I think you ahould use HDMI via PCM instead of the analog. I used my receiver via analog but I wasn't happy with the BM from the player. BTW did they get the promontional 3 BR's from FS as well:D.
My receiver does not pass audio through HDMI so I have to use the analog option. When it comes to bass management I can boost the sub up to +15. I am still unsure about the crossover settings on the sub using analog. Can you fill me in on my options for calibrating the system through the DB55.

BTW I did receive the 3 promotional Blu-Rays as well. The bundle is I, Robot, Kingdom Of Heaven and The Devil Wears Prada.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
My receiver does not pass audio through HDMI so I have to use analog. When it comes to bass management I can boost the sub up to +15. I am still unsure about crossover settings using analog. Can you fill me in on my options for calibrating through the DB55.

BTW I did receiver the 3 promotional Blu-Rays as well. The bundle is I, Robot, Kingdom Of Heaven and The Devil Wears Prada.
I had my sub set at +15dbs and it was good but not great. Although the 55 offers some adjustments for your spearkers it has none for the sub and for the surrounds its all time & distance delay. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the sound but I felt something was missing and thats why I decided to get a HDMI receiver. And I'll put the extra 120.00 bucks when I returned the 55 towards the new receiver.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
My receiver does not pass audio through HDMI so I have to use the analog option. When it comes to bass management I can boost the sub up to +15. I am still unsure about the crossover settings on the sub using analog. Can you fill me in on my options for calibrating the system through the DB55.

BTW I did receive the 3 promotional Blu-Rays as well. The bundle is I, Robot, Kingdom Of Heaven and The Devil Wears Prada.
I basically copied the distance setting from my Pioneer's auto set-up and mirrored them. I also attempted to mirror the level settings, but that's a bit harder since the Panasonic's level settings start and 0 and decrease. You will probably end up having to decrease all levels relative to the sub then bringing the front 3 channels up to satisfactory levels. For the surrounds, I just wanted to hear them so I didn't spend too much time sweating the levels for them. One thing to do may be to pick something with very active surround use like Return of the King(the battle near the end) and matching the levels for the surrounds under analog multi-channel by comparing them to the levels over via.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
What does the panny set the crossover of the sub to? Are there any options?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure but I thinks its around 100hz. Thats because 100 is the default if your mains are set to large.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I'll tell you one thing the DTS HD-MA is so crisp and clear you'll be amazed! Another great thing about the 55 is that you can connect a digital cable for your SD dvds which will apply your receiver surround setting as well as your BR playback if you choose bitstream.

Goodluck and enjoy, Bill :)

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
My receiver does not pass audio through HDMI so I have to use the analog option. When it comes to bass management I can boost the sub up to +15.
Minus, just to clarify . . . did you mean "sub" or "LFE"? I hope its the latter. Because your sub is not just playing LFE, but rerouted bass from other channels. Therefore, if you boost the "sub" for desired LFE, your rerouted bass is then running too hot. Just FWIW.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Minus, just to clarify . . . did you mean "sub" or "LFE"? I hope its the latter. Because your sub is not just playing LFE, but rerouted bass from other channels. Therefore, if you boost the "sub" for desired LFE, your rerouted bass is then running too hot. Just FWIW.
that would be hot, thats even hotter than what Mike C runs his! :eek::D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I was referring to the Ext. In gain level. There are a few settings if I remember correctly 0, 5, 10, 15. I have read that when using analog the sub input is 10db lower. So boosting the Ext. In would be the norm to compensate for that correct?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I'll tell you one thing the DTS HD-MA is so crisp and clear you'll be amazed! Another great thing about the 55 is that you can connect a digital cable for your SD dvds which will apply your receiver surround setting as well as your BR playback if you choose bitstream.

Goodluck and enjoy, Bill :)
That is what I was planning on. It will become my c.d player as well. I am looking forward to even watching some standard dvd's on this in which I will just use a stanard toslink or coax and let the receiver do its job. I have heard great things about its up-conversion ability!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I was referring to the Ext. In gain level. There are a few settings if I remember correctly 0, 5, 10, 15. I have read that when using analog the sub input is 10db lower. So boosting the Ext. In would be the norm to compensate for that correct?
Hmrz. First of all, I've never owned an SACD or DVDA player. I have zero experience with stuff, TBH.

I am afraid if there is any cut/boost, that its affecting everything the sub outputs with "gain level". I shouldn't even have posted here. I know nothing. :(:eek::(

However, I don't think having accurate bass levels is as important in the HT. After all, most people seem to prefer it running hot anyways. But as you state you will use this for music as well . . . hm.

Ok, since I know absolutely nothing, if the cuts involved with this type of hookup affects everything the sub is outputting, then you don't have to worry about anything I worried about.

Out of guilt and shame, I found some interesting snipets for you in the BD-55 owner's thread.

"I was ready to return my BD-55 because it wouldn't send any signal to the LFE during Analog Audio Output testing no matter how I configured it. Then after (much) pouring thru the manual I found a single note at the bottom of pg34 discussing - Channel Balance, sub-note No3, with a small sub-bullet, and small typeface a sentence that says. . .NO SIGNAL IS OUTPUT TO THE SUBWOOFER. . . etc.

I doubt that Panny could not have made it more obscure and I could only locate this single reference to LFE output test.

I now ignore the lack to test signal and am a happy enjoyer of much base in movies and music (the Queen Rock Montreal is great) set with my RS sound level meter.
"

-----------------

"You're using analog from the player, yes? Does your AVR re-digitize the analog inputs? If so, then you should set all speakers to large and 0 levels in the player and do all of the processing in the receiver. If your AVR doesn't re-digitize, then its settings will not be used for audio arriving over the analog inputs and you will need to do all of the set-ups in the player instead."

--------------
"When using analog, you need to boost the sub by 10db (15db when speakers are set to small) in the receiver, not the player. So, look for a settting on your receiver similar to the one I posted for the Denon. That will get your LFE sounding right.

btw, the small setting in your receiver only applies to digital sources, not to audio arriving via the analog inputs. That's why you need to set speaker sizes in the player. It's the device that does the bass re-routing in this case."

So, Minus, it appears that should do the trick. :) What is your receiver? I know its more money, but I typically recommend saving $100 by getting the bd35, and applying those savings towards a new receiver at a later date. After all, new receivers are pretty affordable when you subtract $100, and you will benefit from better/flexible bass mgmt, postprocessing, perhaps better Dac, etc . . . but then again, you might own some serious receiver as it is . . .

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
When it comes to listening to music I will not be using the Ext In so there will be no issues. Music will be played through a toslink or coax so it will be using the calibration on my receiver.

A new receiver is out of the equation. The one I have holds me over fine for now. It would be nice to have a little more bass management control for HD audio but it is not enough for me to go out and buy a brand new one .

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
When it comes to listening to music I will not be using the Ext In so there will be no issues. Music will be played through a toslink or coax so it will be using the calibration on my receiver.
Ah. Me no read so good.

A new receiver is out of the equation. The one I have holds me over fine for now. It would be nice to have a little more bass management control but it is not enough for me to go out and buy a brand new one.
I hear ya.

However, I heartily recommend some BD concert discs! I have a couple of classical, and one pop/rock. I'm looking to add to the classical rep. With DVDs, Id always select 2ch pcm, but now Im really diggin the m-ch lossless. :D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

A new receiver is out of the equation. The one I have holds me over fine for now. It would be nice to have a little more bass management control for HD audio but it is not enough for me to go out and buy a brand new one .
I spend a lot of time tweaking, calibrating and level matching all my speakers to my desired tastes, that sending a analog signal which bypassed all those efforts cause me certain angest:eek:. I've mentioned this before but IMHO using the DAC'S's from your AVR which will enable you to stream the incoming signal and apply proper BM made me want to switch an already excellent receiver in the 3805.
I'll reiterate that the analog route is a viable option but after I experimented for a week I just wanted a little more and I should get that with my new receiver(Denon 2809 or Onyko TX SR706/806. Besides the extra money was burning a hole in my pocket:).

Regards, Bill

E

EddieG

Audioholic
sub not working??

When I test my speakers with the AVR my subwoofer is working. When watching blu-ray I'm not sure. I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean and during a battle with canons I put my ear to the sub and heard nothing. I have the receiver set so the LFR's to go to the sub.

I am using the 6 channel audio.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
When I test my speakers with the AVR my subwoofer is working. When watching blu-ray I'm not sure. I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean and during a battle with canons I put my ear to the sub and heard nothing. I have the receiver set so the LFR's to go to the sub.

I am using the 6 channel audio.

Thanks for any info.

Make sure the analog cable used for your sub's input is still intact and it didn't disconnect or become loose. I had a similar incident with my left front channel.

E

EddieG

Audioholic
Make sure the analog cable used for your sub's input is still intact and it didn't disconnect or become loose. I had a similar incident with my left front channel.
I did check and it's connected.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Whoa...am I glad for this thread. Panasonic makes some really good equipment. I've owned a bunch of their stuff, from microwaves to plasma tv's, and including my new BD-55 (courtesy of a fantastic friend!). But they have absolutely THE WORST user manuals that have ever been written. It's nearly impossible to figure out what the unit does or how it does it ... short of extensive experimentation or detailed knowledge of the technology.

Keep the tips coming my wise friends.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis