Panasonic 58" VT25...Receiving Pandora On VieraCast Over Sound System

J

jumpnblues

Audioholic Intern
I'm running an HDMI cable from my AVR to the TV and can receive regular TV channels over my sound system, no problem. But when I bring up Pandora on VieraCast it plays over (in addition to) the channel that the TV is currently tuned to. Muting the TV only mutes everything. How do I get the sound from Pandora alone over the sound system? I'm running the HDMI cable out of the AVR to the TV HDMI/ARC input, so I have sound...just not Pandora alone. Do I need to run an audio cable in addition to the HDMI/ARC cable to separate the sound of the channel from Pandora? I thought if you had ARC and are using an HDMI cable you didn't need an additional audio cable? Thanks for your patience.

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Do you ever use the TV speakers? If not, just turn them off in the advanced audio settings.

J

jumpnblues

Audioholic Intern
Do you ever use the TV speakers? If not, just turn them off in the advanced audio settings.

If I turn the TV speakers off...no Pandora. However, if I leave them on I get Pandora on both the TV channel and my sound system. I'm thinking I might need to run a Toslink/optical cable from the TV to an A/V input in order to separate Viera/Pandora sound from the TV channel sound. We'll see.

Tom

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
That is very odd. I agree that kind of defeats the purpose of the audio return channel in the HDMI cable. I have not had a chance to mess with many devices that had that feature. I am afraid it is turning out the same way CEC did. That was supposed to be universal but manufacturers all did there own thing and mixing brands didn't yield good results when it came to CEC.

I have installed a Sony TV paird with a Sony sound system and ARC worked flawlessly. The other day I installed a Panasonic G25 with a Yamaha reciever and I could not get ARC to work at all.

J

jumpnblues

Audioholic Intern
Maybe this has been discussed here before, but just in case it hasn't I think it would be helpful to know you can receive VieraCast sound alone through your sound system by...running an HDMI cable from your AVR to the HDMI/ARC input of your TV and an optical/Toslink audio cable to your AVR. The Toslink cable will separate the VieraCast signal from the TV channel signal. Just remember to turn your TV speakers off. I now listen to Pandora this way through my sound system. Works great. Thanks to whoever recommended this to me.

Tom

mohawkHankin

mohawkHankin

Audiophyte
Similar situation

I'm running an hdmi from my pioneer VSX-1120K receiver to my panasonic (TC-P60S30) 60" plasma. As both are ARC ready, and TV speakers blow, I've been playing the audio from the amazon prime video app on the TV through the pioneer system. However, when I try to do the same thing with the pandora app nothing happens, unless I switch the TV settings to play audio through the TV speakers (which is worthless when theres are party going on).
I've emailed tech support and will post any solution they give, but in the meantime has anyone found a way around this?
Cheers,
Mike

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm running an HDMI cable from my AVR to the TV and can receive regular TV channels over my sound system, no problem. But when I bring up Pandora on VieraCast it plays over (in addition to) the channel that the TV is currently tuned to. Muting the TV only mutes everything. How do I get the sound from Pandora alone over the sound system? I'm running the HDMI cable out of the AVR to the TV HDMI/ARC input, so I have sound...just not Pandora alone. Do I need to run an audio cable in addition to the HDMI/ARC cable to separate the sound of the channel from Pandora? I thought if you had ARC and are using an HDMI cable you didn't need an additional audio cable? Thanks for your patience.

Tom
What receiver do you have? If it's a Denon, you need to assign all of the inputs that are HDMI, Component and Digital audio. Also, you can go into the setup for each source and select the video source, separately. If the receiver is set to Sat/Cable when you start Pandora, I would use the TV input for Pandora, instead. That way, the VieraCast screen will show and you'll only have one audio source.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis