Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
That's true Mazer.

Hubbell makes some equipment with warning lights and audible alarms, to indicate failure.

Nothing works like unplugging. If you're home when the big one hits.:)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the point is if the MOV's have taken a few small surges or spikes. Then your surge protector is as good as not having one. Especially when the big one hits. Makes you wonder if you should replace your surge protectors after awhile.
That's true Mazer.

Hubbell makes some equipment with warning lights and audible alarms, to indicate failure.

Nothing works like unplugging. If you're home when the big one hits.:)
Wait a minute. I have an HTS 3500 MKII. Are you guys saying that this thing needs to be replaced with a fresh one? :eek: I bought it because of a favorable review here on AH. :confused:

Rick,
Are you also of the opinion that surge supressors are unneccesary? I get the idea of nothing stopping a lightening strike. Is this going to be the 2nd time I get to hear that surge supressors are not in our best interest all in one thread? :confused:

Alex

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Rick,
Are you also of the opinion that surge supressors are unneccesary?
Hi Alex,
Surge suppressors are like insurance. You may pay for it, and go many years and never use it. Then again you never know when you may need it. Not all insurance is perfect either, nor does it work in all instances.

Almost nothing works in a direct lighting hit, though odds are you'll never experience one. (Florida, maybe):)

To answer your question. I do think they are necessary. You just have to get a good one, and understand their limitations.
Wait a minute. I have an HTS 3500 MKII. Are you guys saying that this thing needs to be replaced with a fresh one?
I'm not 100% sure if your 3500 uses only MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistors) for protection, I'll bet they use something else in combination.
The downside to MOVs is that they degrade. What happens is this, the breakover voltage goes down with each surge the MOV stops. Eventually, the breakover voltage of the MOV gets down to the peak voltage on the power line or below. The device then quickly overheats and permanently shorts out. But typical MOVs can withstand thousands of large surges before they short out. Though, if a unit doesn't have a warning light, or an audible alarm, you won't know when it's nearing the end of it's useful.

So, at some point the MOVs will need replacing. If you know how to solder it's not hard to do.

Here is a little info on transient voltage, from an old post of mine.

Most surges occur when devices with motors - hair dryers, refrigerators, water pumps - shut off. Suddenly the energy these devices were consuming is diverted elsewhere, in the form of excess voltage. Surges also happen when the electric company switches power from one geographic area of the grid to another, as supply and demand in the region changes. Thunderstorms and lightening are the most dramatic and destructive causes of power line problems.
Only 40% of surge problems are generated outside the home or office by events such as lightening, utility grid switching, line slapping, etc. 60% of all electrical surges or transient voltage is generated within the home or office. Surges are caused by elevators, air conditioners, vending machines, copiers, large computers, even lights turning on and off will cause rushes of power and transient voltages back up the line.

Computerized appliances and electronics can be damaged or destroyed by over-voltage surges, or spikes.
This includes computer equipment and peripherals; electronic equipment such as stereos, TVs and VCRs; household appliances including washers, dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers, microwave ovens, food processors, blenders;(you get the idea) and other electronic devices such as fax machines, telephones, and answering machines. Any electronic device that contains a microprocessor is susceptible to damage from transient voltages.

P

Panjsheri

Audioholic
This is total hogwash.

Do some reading

www.surgex.com
www.brickwall.com
www.zerosurge.com
As you can see I am only a junior Audioholic and I am still learning a lot. These sites and devices I have never heard of hence why I recommended the Panamax because I have heard great things about them. Being from Toronto, Canada there is not as much variety with the surge protectors and I was only giving my honest opinion. You may think its hog wash but thats fine because obviously you know more then me but I did not want to say Monster as most in this group hate Monster and believe its just a name and led me to believe the same thing. I believe the members of this group over a salesman and again it was only my opinion as you can see from the post.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis