Biscokid

Biscokid

Audioholic
So I am finishing up a pair of Fostex based single driver speakers and don't know what the best finsh would be. I want to paint them but don't want a soft paint finsh. Do any of you know a paint that will give me a nice hard finish? Maybe just a type of clear coat?
Oh yeah I am not going to buy a spray gun and compresser.:D

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
Plain old oil based spray paint in a can -- sand, prime, sand, and paint. It will dry hard to a hard finish in a couple of weeks -- but it still might look "tacky" when fully dry. It will stink like spray paint for about 4 months.

For a clear coat -- there are several wipe on poly's you apply in thin coats with a cloth. If the speakers are a wooden veneer, this would be a very good choice. Wipe on finishes are easy to apply and get a good result. It will take about 10 coats, but looks very subdued compared to brushed on or sprayed finishes. Look at any big box hardware store for "Wipe on Polyurethane".. Minwax and many other companies make the same type of product.

Last edited:
G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
You should be able to go to an autoparts store and purchase auto primer,paint, and clear in an aerosol can. If I recall it's about $5.00 a can and I got pretty good results when I used it on a bike. A little bit of wet sanding and you can end up with a pretty good finish.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis