PA speakers in Home Theater

A

Abhit

Audiophyte
I wanted to find out that do passive PA speakers like PEAVEY PVX 12 sound better than home theater tower speakers. I wanted to upgrade my front satellites with good quality full size fronts. Please advice.

A

Abhit

Audiophyte
PEAVEY PVX 12 cost is lower than the Towers. My feeling is that as driver size and power handling is much higher so low frequency range and distortion will be lower than towers. @everettT how much do jtr cost ?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
PEAVEY PVX 12 cost is lower than the Towers. My feeling is that as driver size and power handling is much higher so low frequency range and distortion will be lower than towers. @everettT how much do jtr cost ?
Only well designed speakers will sound good. JTR has products, none of which are cheap, in all sizes. My next suggestion for PA/live sound speakers would be yorkville.

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, keep in mind that PA speakers are geared for output and coverage over a long distance. Because of this, they don't dig that deep, in spite of large woofers. They should really be looked at as really large, unwieldy satellite speakers, not full range speakers.

Distortion will likely be lower, but by virtue of much greater sensitivity, and there are better options to meet sensitivity requirements and all the other speaker goals than a cheap PA speaker will provide.

Even if you go with a high sensitivity type speaker, the same rules of "good sound" still apply (e.g. speakers with flat on axis response, smooth off-axis response, directivity match between drivers at crossover frequencies, careful attention to the crossover, driver quality, cab quality...).

The JTR's are not inexpensive. 'Loud and Good' is typically not inexpensive, however you slice it.

Can you glue and screw? Check diysoundgroup.com for some DIY kits to consider. Legit high sensitivity, and unlike cheap PA speakers, they don't suck. (There are some good PA speakers, but by the time you get to their price level other options such as the used market or DIY become more cost effective.)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis