P.C.'ness is out of control

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/46586

Our tax dollars at work: The US Navy will be spending about $600,000 to redesign or camouflage a 1960s barracks building in San Diego because of complaints that it looks like a swastika when viewed from the air. In the past this might have been a problem only for the occasional air traveler who happened over Coronado island, but with the advent of aerial mapping and visualization tools like Google Earth, everyone can see anything from the sky.

Apparently, this 40 year old building complex is deemed too offensive as seen from "Google Earth", so the Navy now must redesign the entire complex.:rolleyes:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Stupidity at it's best. If these morons would have less time on their hands (ie get a job) this foolishness will be diminished, the swastika can be found in India, American Indians, and many old European cultures, it's an old mystic symbol, granted an evil monster used it as his trademark so it's offensive to some, same as hammer and sickle, but alas you don't see too many "defenders of society" protesting that sign which happened to destroy more people than the former. As for me get rid of both, as for the Navy using 600,000 dollars of tax payer money for this nonsense is shameful, this money can be used for the troops in harms way.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Isn't that facing the wrong way to be the Nazi symbol?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Correct me if I'm wrong.
The tines go clockwise for the Nazi standard. So the building is facing the 'right way'.

Maybe the government shouldn't have contracted Mengele & Goring Construction Co.?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's facing the same direction. The Nazis adopted the right-facing swastika, and those buildings represent that shape.

However, as has been pointed out, many cultures used the right-facing (and left-facing) swastika for centuries before the Nazis did. I'm guessing that most people think that it is a waste of resources to change the appearance of the building.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The NAZIs on rare occasions would use the inverted swastika on buildings, coincidentally I saw this on the History Channel yesterday.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The NAZIs on rare occasions would use the inverted swastika on buildings, coincidentally I saw this on the History Channel yesterday.
Perhaps if they had won the war, they'd now be spending $600k to correct those inverted symbols after getting inundated with complaints. Oh, wait. They'd be spending that money on killing everyone who wrote a letter to complain about it. ;)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Also crosses in churches would be turned into swastikas and forget synagogues those would be turned into swastikas!

B

Buckeye_Nut

Aaaaaah yes, would that be the HD-History channel?;)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Love my Direct TV HD!!!!! YES! I had a medical procedure done so I had bed rest all day Thursday and Friday!! Felt as if I was playing hooky.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Totally absurd. No one ever looks at intent for anything anymore. Meanings are lost and stupidity reigns. We're heading for a future like the one portrayed in "Idiocracy"!

-pat

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The other version is a Tibetan good luck charm. I forgot which is which though.

SheepStar

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Lapland's looks like a Mac connector.

annunaki

annunaki

Stupidity at it's best. If these morons would have less time on their hands (ie get a job) this foolishness will be diminished, the swastika can be found in India, American Indians, and many old European cultures, it's an old mystic symbol, granted an evil monster used it as his trademark so it's offensive to some, same as hammer and sickle, but alas you don't see too many "defenders of society" protesting that sign which happened to destroy more people than the former. As for me get rid of both, as for the Navy using 600,000 dollars of tax payer money for this nonsense is shameful, this money can be used for the troops in harms way.
On a Swastika, the feet always walk left. When they walk right it is actually an Egyptian sun cross if I recall correctly.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
This is one of those rare occasions when I agree with you completely. Well said.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis