overrated/underrated Performers

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>What performers or groups do you think are overrated/underrated? Some of my overrateds are: The Doors, Janice Joplin, U2, Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Elvis, David Bowie, Bob Dylan (after 1969), Eric Clapton (after Cream &amp; Blind Faith), Paul McCartney (after The Beatles), Stevie Ray Vaughn (as a singer/song writer), Dave Matthews Band, Lynard Skynard, Bob Segar, Most early to late seventies American classic rock bands.  My underrateds are: XTC, Rush, Yes, King Crimson, Donovan, Lindsay Buckingham (as a guitarist), Genesis (with Peter Gabriel), Emerson, Lake &amp; Palmer (Their first two albums were great), Pink Floyd (1967 to 1972), Some early to late 80's synth/pop bands. Note: Some of the overrated performers that were mentioned I do appreciate, I just don't feel they deserve the worship, praise and god like status that the masses seem to grant them (or used to).

P.S. I forgot to mention the king of overrated bands, The Grateful Dead. I've never actually heard their very early stuff, but apart from that Touch Of Gray song most of what I've heard from them was unlistenable crap. I've also noticed that the average deadhead dosen't seem to care, or know anything about their music any more than I do! They just follow them around cuz it's the cool thing to do I guess.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Vivaldi, I only disagree with one of your overates, Stevie Ray Vaughn. WTF man he was the greatest blues guitarist to yet live. Have you ever seen him play? Much better than Johnny Winter, or Robert Cray or even Buddy Guy. They man was amazing to see play, and that is coming from a Pat Metheny, Al DeMiola, Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Earl Klugh, Peter Frampton, Russ Freeman Junkie

There was also some talent in the 70's rock bands, STYX, Journey were very solid musically and lyrically speaking as well as a handful of others. Most of your list I agree with though.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I agree with many of your picks(Stones,Dave Matthews),but Pearl Jam? Not.Stevie Ray?Not.King Crimson?Not.
&nbsp;Personally, I think REO Speedwagon was a little underrated.It appears to me that you like deep complicated music,as do I,but I also like good solid R &amp; R like Pat Travers,Judas Priest,UFO,etc.
&nbsp; I'm also a big fan of Supertramp.Seen them 3 times.How about ELO?</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>First I would like to say Genesis was definately an underrated band, even in the Phil Collins era. &nbsp;OUt of all of the rock concerts I have been to, Genesis always put on the best shows IMO. &nbsp;The Phil and Chester drum duos were amazing, Phils Tambourine dance, awesome, Hacketts/ Daryls guitar solos breathtaking. &nbsp;

I also think U2, despite their popularity were underrated from a musical quality standpoint. &nbsp;

The test of a good band is how well they play live. &nbsp;Genesis, U2, Rush, Metallica, Yes/ELP (until recently), Pat Metheny, Rippingtons, always sounded better live then in the studio.

Van Halen, although I loved them, IMO sucked live. &nbsp;

My uderrates:
Genesis
Rush (except for most of the last decade)
U2
Pat Metheny (best jazz guitarist ever IMO)
Patricia Barber
Steely Dan
Peter Gabriel (AMAZING LIVE!!!)
Marillion

My overates:
most of pop music &amp; boy bands (with exception to much of the Latin music (IE. Shakira, Carlos Vives, Alexandra Pires,etc)
all of Rap music (except Will Smith, Sir Mix Alot, LL Cool J)
Nirvana (and most punk/grunge bands)

So thats my take , flame at will
</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>underrates:
Rush
Primus
Yes
Tool

overrates:
Linkin Park
Pearl Jam
Creed
Beatles</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>The Beatles are underrated?  
  How can the most talked about, preached about, worshipped and hyped band be underrated!?  They've sold like 200 million albums, they top virtually every critics list of the greatest bands in history and they're almost universally praised by people of all ages and walks of life.  I submit it would be impossible for any band to be rated any higher than they already are, no matter how much they may deserve it.

Should we also petition the Pope to get them sainted, too?

BTW, though, they are near the top of my most overrated in history, along w/the King of Everrated Musicians, Jimi Hendrix.  Also starring:  Bob Marley, Madonna, The Rolling Stones, Bob Seger &amp; Dave Mathews.

I'd say Rush is definately underrated, as are XTC, Allan Holdsworth, Joe Satriani &amp; Drivin' N Cryin'.</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>WHOA!! Jimi overrated? I gotta call BS on that 1. Let's remember what era he played in. He was an innovator, not a copycat. Drivin'N Cryin'? Are you just talking about a show you saw? They weren't around long enough to be considered either IMO.
&nbsp;Anyone remember Honeymoon Suite?</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Also, if we're talking concerts, most overrated(or worst) I saw was Nazereth. Most underrated(for pure showmanship) was Alice Cooper. Cooper did have a poor sound system though.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Rob, who said the Beatles were underrated?

I said they $u(&amp;!
, along with Drivin&quot;NCryin!
</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Sorry, Zumbo- I didn't read carefully enough. &nbsp;I though you had 'em in the under, not over. &nbsp;My bad.

As far as Drivin' N' Cryin', they got a lot of critical acclaim and were great. &nbsp;And giving the total ignorance of them here (they have half a dozen albums and were around for years) that shows that they were really under the radar and underrated. &nbsp;I'm not implying anyone has to like them.

Yeah, I do remember Honeymoone Suite. &nbsp;They're a great band, and in case you weren't aware of it, they're still around. &nbsp;Their newest album has only been out about a year and it's one of the better albums I've heard in the last couple years. &nbsp;They're Canadian, and you won't find their discs in American stores very often but you can get them if you look.

As far as &quot;Garbage Fingers&quot; Hendrix, IMO he was pathetic- the only reason he's famous is because he flamed out. &nbsp;Of course, one guys Lame-O is the public-at-large's Idol. &nbsp;YMMV.

There's two really humorous things about a thread like this: the first is that inevitably someone will throw a hissy fit when someone dares to not buy into the hype &amp; bullshit (eg. parrotting the praises of Hendrix ad nauseum). &nbsp;C'mon guys, the world will keep turning!
I'm not trying to threaten anyones manhood or anything! &nbsp; The second thing that cracks me up is that if you ask for a list of the greatest bands ever and a list of the most overrated, both lists will be virtually identical. &nbsp;Try it for yourself.

Just my $.02.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Oh come now, the beatles were the most overrated band of them all, They sucked in every way possible, talent wise, music wise, lyric wise, fidelity wise, they sucked man. Their music was crap! There is/was not a talent among them. I would rather listen to the back street boys then the beatles that is how bad I think they sucked. The only time a beatles song is even becomes listen-able is when someone else is doing it. Frampton and the Bee Gees made them sound good, so did Aerosmith and Earth Wind and Fire. Hell even George Burns sounded better singing fixing a hole then the beatles did. Did I mention they sucked.

OK end of rant
</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I think we all agree that the Beatles $u(k. Read the thread again!</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Woops, I did not read carefully enough
I am glad I am not the only one who thought they sucked. I have been on some other forums were they were worshiped like some sort of god.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Did they think Bose was the bomb too?
</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I'm not offended that the Beatles(or Hendrix) are nobodys favorite here. I just feel if you had been around in the &quot;60's/early &quot;70's you might have a different feeling about them. Neither are particularly my favorite. I just remember the effect they had on music in their day.
&nbsp;Who is Allan Holdsworth?

Overrated? How about The Cars? Adam Ant?</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>David Bowie? Bob Dylan? Tom Petty? Aw, thats going to p!$$ someone off!
</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Was not around in the 60's, but was around in the 70's when Zeppelin came along and took control. No band has done such since! I believe that no band will!</font>

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
A. Vivaldi :
<font color='#000000'>Other's worth mention

Underateds
Dire Straits
E.L.O.
Stray Cats
Blues Traveler
Much of Classical music, Brahms, R. Strauss, Liszt and more

Overrateds
Madonna
Michael Jackson; guilty or not
Van Halen; post Roth</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I agree. Especially about Zeppelin. Dylan was a better song writer than musician. You'd be surprised at the number of songs he wrote that others turned into hits. For that reason I can't call him overrated.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
zipper : <font color='#000000'> Who is Allan Holdsworth?</font>
<font color='#8D38C9'>An obviously underappreciated guitar genius. &nbsp;He's been around forever, playing jazz, fusion &amp; rock. &nbsp;Eddie Van Halen called his album, &quot;I.O.U.&quot; the greatest guitart album of all time.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis