Overnight Sensations

robot

robot

Junior Audioholic
A while ago I posted a build suggestion thread and here is the follow up.

This is my first DIY project and I decided to build the Overnight Sensations because of their reputation. I initially thought I wanted a slightly larger woofer (around 6") but I compromised a bit and I'm quite happy with the results. I think the 4" Hivi woofers are very detailed sounding for their price, and I'm quite happy with their sound. At first I was a bit worried about the tweeter because it sounded harsh and very sibilant with some vocals and cymbals. After 2 or 3 weeks of listening the harshness mostly went away.

I've been listening to them for about 2 and a half months now. I only intended them to be kind of a practice project and value benchmark for future designs, but still I'm not really eager to move onto my next build. They're quite easy to listen to.

I plan on countersinking the drivers and painting them black eventually. The design called for 1/2 inch MDF but I used 3/4 inch because that was all that Home Depot had in small sheets.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Am I the only one that expected to see a love doll or something based on the thread title? :D

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Looks very nice Robot. I just completed mine as well here. I tried to do something a little different with the enclosures though. I was very impressed by their big sound. Did you put any sort of insulation in them? Also, how did you mount the tweeter? Press fit?

robot

robot

Junior Audioholic
Looks very nice Robot. I just completed mine as well here. I tried to do something a little different with the enclosures though. I was very impressed by their big sound. Did you put any sort of insulation in them? Also, how did you mount the tweeter? Press fit?
that is a great build thread! your enclosure is fantastic, i bet that it is very solid.

i agree with all your comments about the sound. they do indeed have a bit of a tin can sound but it's quite easy to forget about.

i'm using about two fists worth of Acousti Stuff in each speaker. i started with none, then added one fist, and settled on two fists.

and yes, the tweeters are pressed in.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
I can imagine using 3/4" mdf, brace or no brace, they'll be very solid. What did the stuffing do for you? I put some insulation that Alex gave me (I believe OC 705 or 703- correct me here Alex) but I did not put any stuffing.

What's next on the DIY list?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, you might just end up with a flush tweeter if you veneered them :) The completely rounded ends might make that a bit more time consuming though. They actually look quite a bit like my A/V-1s:

Last edited:
robot

robot

Junior Audioholic
IMO, you might just end up with a flush tweeter if you veneered them :) The completely rounded ends might make that a bit more time consuming though.
that's a good idea J, I will have to give that some thought!

I can imagine using 3/4" mdf, brace or no brace, they'll be very solid. What did the stuffing do for you? I put some insulation that Alex gave me (I believe OC 705 or 703- correct me here Alex) but I did not put any stuffing.

What's next on the DIY list?
the stuffing made them sound smoother, but to be really sure i would have to do some more listening tests now that they've been broken in. i didn't use anything glued to the walls.

for my next project i think i would like to try out some SEAS or Scanspeak drivers. either bookshelves or a small MTM.

T

TKNice

Enthusiast
Great job on those robot, would you consider posting dimensions and build materials?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Great build, thanks for sharing!

Since you both said they have highs that are a bit rough, I wonder if a different tweeter would be better? Maybe that tweeter model just has some distortion problems?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice build, Robot. I like that 3/4 roundover as a paint ready surface. I think veneering that nicely would be almost impossible ... for me anyways.

I put some insulation that Alex gave me (I believe OC 705 or 703- correct me here Alex)
You got the 703.

- Uncle Oskie :D

Last edited:
skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic

Since you both said they have highs that are a bit rough, I wonder if a different tweeter would be better? Maybe that tweeter model just has some distortion problems?
I don't know if I would personally say they're "rough". I think it has to do with the fact that I haven't compared too many speakers before and that the sound probably has more to do with the metal woofer. I've never had one in my house or done any critical listening to a metal woofer before. That's my guess.

You got the 703.

- Uncle Oskie
Ah thanks. I don't feel quite right calling you Alex but I don't want to confuse your followers either by calling you Oscar (or make them jealous by the fact that I use a more personal name). :cool:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Nice build, Robot. I like that 3/4 roundover as a paint ready surface. I think veneering that nicely would be almost impossible ... for me anyways.

You got the 703.

- Uncle Oskie :D
I've never tried veneering but given my history with gluing boards straight I have no desire to try it with veneer. On a rounded over edge sounds crazy. I'd seal them and paint them.

Or you could line them with peel-n-seal and build a plywood exterior with the TLS Guy quarter round technique. Then just stain them. :D Sounds much simpler than it is though.

robot

robot

Junior Audioholic

to clarify a little bit what i wrote there, i don't think the Dayton ND20 is a bad sounding tweeter. i was just worried a bit during break in. barring any psychological affects it seemed to me that the tweeter improved a lot over 2 or 3 weeks of listening. for an $8 tweeter i think it sounds very nice.

I just had a chance to listen to the Dayton DC28FS tweeter ($20, used in the Parts Express TriTrix kit) and for the price I think it is also a very nice tweeter.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Ah thanks. I don't feel quite right calling you Alex but I don't want to confuse your followers either by calling you Oscar (or make them jealous by the fact that I use a more personal name). :cool:
Yes ... my followers.:D Wouldn't want to confuse them. :rolleyes:
That really sounds messed up. :)

I don't much like you calling me Alex and I don't like being called Oscar by the people who call me Alex. It feels wrong. ;)

Anyway I may as well come right out and say that speaker break in is a myth. Your ears are what gets broken in. There have been threads and tests and posts and hurt feelings over this but there it is. You can trust me on this.

Robot, I wouldn't mind seeing what your crossover looks like if you have some pic's.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know if I would personally say they're "rough". I think it has to do with the fact that I haven't compared too many speakers before and that the sound probably has more to do with the metal woofer. I've never had one in my house or done any critical listening to a metal woofer before. That's my guess.
The material of the driver is rather insignificant; it's a lot other things that make the sound you hear. The xover is a pretty important part, the overall design, and no matter what the material of the driver is, it can be made to sound one way or another. A polypropelene driver can sound harsh/distortive, or perhaps very neutral or pleasing. Same variations can be seen in a metal driver too, I think.

Yes ... my followers.:D Wouldn't want to confuse them. :rolleyes:
That really sounds messed up. :)

I don't much like you calling me Alex and I don't like being called Oscar by the people who call me Alex. It feels wrong. ;)
Can I call you Oscar?

signed,
your follower

:D

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Can I call you Oscar?

signed,
your follower

:D
:D I am dying over here. :D

Wait until Swerd gives you guys an earful on driver materials. He's got this all figured out with who's been doing what with whatever material including bamboo but I agree that all this has more to do with the crossover and possibly the mix of drivers than the composition of the drivers.

Like Robot pointed out the sound is good for the price to begin with. The real draw here is the build itself ... not the finished product. Before it's all said and done I think these guys will be sinking many hundreds into parts for speakers that will be well beyond these first fruits.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Heh, that Swerd guy is a smart cookie. Ok, I'm going to push my luck, Oscar, may I call you Uncle Oskie?

:p

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, I'm going to push my luck, Oscar, may I call you Uncle Oskie?

:p
May as well, my three little nieces do. How high can you make your voice go? It's sweet when they call me that.
You wear your hair in pig tails? :eek: :D

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
May as well, my three little nieces do. How high can you make your voice go? It's sweet when they call me that.
You wear your hair in pig tails? :eek: :D
The next thing you know, they'll be calling you Uncle Buck - from the old Saturday Night Live shows. Yes, ol' Uncle Buck would come over and babysit his nieces and have his camera along. He'd suggest games such as having them slide down the banister while he'd take the pictures. :eek::D:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis