Outlaw RR2150 vs. Cambridge Topaz SR10

N

N.Cotman

Audioholic Intern
Which receiver would you recommend? Right now I am running Paradigm 7se MKIIs, but plan to get some B&W 685 S2s eventually (and maybe even a subwoofer).

The Cambridge is $530 (taxes in), and the Outlaw is $640 (plus shipping). The Cambridge is a fair amount more inexpensive (I'm a student on a budget), which makes it appealing- though if it is justified, I'd spend the extra on the Outlaw.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/produc...ema/topaz-sr10

Specs are at the above links! I listen to an even amount of vinyl, CDs, and MP3 files. Mostly classic rock. Any input appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Hi Nick,

Between the two, I'd lean towards the Outlaw. The 8 ohm power rating appears fairly close (100W/ch vs 85w/ch), but the RR2150 is solidly rated down to a 4 ohm load (160w/ch x2, 0.03% THD) while the SR10 lacks a 4 ohm power rating. The RR2150 also features bass management with adjustable high pass / low pass filters, which is helpful for subwoofer integration.

Also if budget is a concern, might not be a bad idea to consider a surround receiver. You can find last years model at a significant discount, and obviously there are benefits to going this routes (more features, expandable to 5 or 7.1, etc).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would have to say RR2150 as well. Their amps tend to be conservatively rated and the RR2150 has been around with basically few changes over the years meaning nothing needed to be changed. They're calling it a "high quality" phono input as well on there as well, meaning they expected vinyl users (SR10 does have a phono input too). I sort of agree about the surround receiver, but at the same price point you're not going to see the same true, 4 ohm stable kind of power the RR2150 has.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I'd go with the Outlaw- also! It was reviewed at this site- check it out!

N

N.Cotman

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys! I'm also seriously considering the NADC326BEE. I do like NAD, I was only deterred because of the lack of a phono input. Anybody have experience with this NAD receiver?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Even though I have a NAD C372, if I were you, I would go with the Outlaw. With a phono stage built in, buying a phono pre-amp is an expense you would avoid. And, if you plan to get a subwoofer at some point - a good idea, if you plan to get the B&W 685's - built-in bass management is a big bonus. I think it's a no-brainer.:)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I too go for the Outlaw if you can swing it because of the 4ohm stability, bass management to help ease subwoofer intergration, and the quality phono input in case you ever want to go vinyl and use turntables.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I too go for the Outlaw if you can swing it because of the 4ohm stability, bass management to help ease subwoofer intergration, and the quality phono input in case you ever want to go vinyl and use turntables.
+ those stunning good looks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis