Outlaw RR2150 Stereo Receiver Reviewed

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The RR2150 isn't exactly a new product, but it's popular enough on our forums that we wanted to actually get it in for review.

It didn't disappoint.

Read the full Outlaw Audio RR2150 Review

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This model has been around for at least 5 years. I think Outlaw will have some work to do to trump this unit with its replacement if it decides to do so.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I like it!

I love the aesthetics. I just think at least 1 digi coax and/or optical should have been included.

A

avengineer

Banned
The front panel is interesting, but they should have done something better with the knobs, which look cheesy. The up/down arrows by the display make it look like a clock. Specs are fine, but it does seem to need an update so it handles these new-fangled digital connections. Seems likely that stuff is might catch on after all. That opens the possibility of a nice built-in DAC too.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nice review.
I am not a fan of the faceplate.

I have spent a great deal of time playing with J River streaming options and found the streaming with additional processing sounds best.
I prefer Kernel Streaming to ASIO and WASAPI event driven.
It can be difficult to get music out of a PC unscathed.

- Rich

Coult_45

Coult_45

Junior Audioholic
Why do these not have digital optical and or coaxial inputs?

I love my Old Harman Kardon 3480. I use it in my bedroom. However the one thing I know it needs is a digital input. These days it is hard to find TV's and Blu ray players that still have analog outputs.

The Onkyo TX-8050 and Harman/Kardon 3490 have digital inputs why do almost all other models omit this?

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the review. It's refreshing to know that Outlaw is being honest. Your power output measurements not only reproduced Outlaw's power claims, you showed their claimed power is somewhat conservative.

I know one person who has this receiver, and I've heard it driving SongTowers in a large oblong room. Under those conditions, it is definitely a potent receiver.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Better late than never. :D I still want one of these.

The Onkyo TX-8050 and Harman/Kardon 3490 have digital inputs why do almost all other models omit this?
Those two would be the top models. As the name implies, STEREO receivers are generally used with analog sources and to keep costs down, digital inputs are often one of the first things left out on a stereo receiver.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
We need more technical info about headphone operation...
1. Does it have it own dedicated amplifier circuit?
2. Or simply padded down from the main ampifiers?

Thanx...

Just my $0.02... ;)

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
I considered this model when I was setting up my 2ch room late 2012/early 2013. I ended up with the HK3490 for 3 reasons. 1) The digital inputs. I still have a TV in the room and I use both the digital coax and optical inputs. 2) Price. The HK 3490 was on sale from JR Music for I believe $299. At that price I could not pass it up. 3) The excellent review on this site! So far I have been quite happy with the 3490. I especially liked the ability to use the remote to switch A/B speakers when I was testing out speakers. I ended up with the new SVS Ultra towers and it seems to drive them fine. Every once in awhile when Emotiva has a sale (like right now) I find my mouse hovering over the XPA-2 at $719.00, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

A

astarkman

Audiophyte
top models but not top dollar

I am always glad to see a review of a stereo receiver. Thank you Cliff!

It might be that the Onkyo TX-8050 and HK 3490 are top models but both are cheaper than the Outlaw receiver under review.

Would it be possible to review of the Onkyo? It has a lot of the features that the Outlaw was criticized for lacking. It even has individual level controls on the different inputs as well as direct access to the internet via an ethernet connection, so it plays digital music and other material (news etc) offered in stereo (or even mono). It's less than half the price of the Outlaw.

j_garcia;976563 Those two would be the top models. As the name implies said:
STEREO[/I] receivers are generally used with analog sources and to keep costs down, digital inputs are often one of the first things left out on a stereo receiver.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I love my Old Harman Kardon 3480. I use it in my bedroom. However the one thing I know it needs is a digital input. These days it is hard to find TV's and Blu ray players that still have analog outputs.

Better late than never. :D I still want one of these.

Those two would be the top models. As the name implies, STEREO receivers are generally used with analog sources and to keep costs down, digital inputs are often one of the first things left out on a stereo receiver.
Additionally, most digital sources have an analog stereo line level output, and that can be used with a stereo receiver.

Basically, if one is wanting two channels, but wanting such features as digital inputs, it is often a good idea to look at an old, used, mid to upper model surround receiver, that lacks the modern features that people expect for a modern surround system. I picked up a THX certified Yamaha HTR-5790 (I believe it is nearly identical to the RX-V1400) with remote in excellent condition for under $100. I use it for two channel audio with a bedroom TV. It does everything I need it to do, and is capable of quite a few things that I don't need it to do.

Old home theater receivers that are not suitable for a modern full-featured home theater very often are more than adequate for a very full-featured 2 channel system. And people who are [needlessly] worried about "all channels driven" can relax and consider the unit's 2 channel performance and ignore the other channels.

H

Hoeffel

Audiophyte
Amazing receiver

I've owned my Outlaw RR2150 for about two years, and it's a great piece of gear. One thing that this review did not touch on, and which is definitely worth mentioning, is the very high quality phono preamp built into this receiver. I wish that you had given that feature a "spin," so to speak, as part of this review. That may have bumped the four-and-a-half star rating up to about four-and-three-quarters, at least.

I agree that the remote is lame, but it does work very well... much better than the stylish remotes that came with my Cambridge Audio gear.

And I'd add that the bass management works extremely well, allowing for precise tailoring of the output to my bookshelf speakers and sub.

Overall, it seems that they spent the money in the right places when designing this receiver. I'm OK with the cheesy remote and lack of digital inputs when I'm getting this kind of head-turning audio performance at a very reasonable price. And make no mistake, this thing will turn heads, and not just because of its looks. Even casual listeners will say "wow."

G

gfmucci

Enthusiast
The Audioholics review indicated the Treble control center point was 10kHz. The manual and tech for Outlaw both say 1kHz. Big difference.
How responsive is the treble control compared to what you are accustomed to on a receiver. If it was centered at 1kHz instead of 10kHz, what would your thoughts about it be?

G

gfmucci

Enthusiast
I have a dilemma. I am torn between this amp for $699, versus the new Yamaha A-S801 for $899. This amp has a basic DAC with USB in. The Yamaha has a more sophisticated DAC with all three types of digital ins. For me it boils down to the difference in quality of the audio output. If I needed to upgrade the DAC capability, I could always spend the $200 difference on that upgrade for the Outlaw. My primary sources will be from my desktop computer with its generic sound card and Kindles. The desktop will send via USB cable. The Kindle via Bluetooth. I will be driving a pair of Definitive 8040s that run on 6 ohms.
Your thoughts, please.

H

HK990vxi

Audiophyte
I just purchased the Outlaw 2150 and am disappointed! I have a Harman Kardon 990vxi that I absolutely loved (started having trouble with the right channel cutting out and decided to give the Outlaw a try rather than going through another round of repairs). I have a pair of Dahlquist DQ-12s that provide sound quality that places any instrument right there in the room with you. The HK has a fullness and punch through these speakers that the Outlaw doesn't seem to have. Is there much of a difference after the break-in period? How long?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I just purchased the Outlaw 2150 and am disappointed! I have a Harman Kardon 990vxi that I absolutely loved (started having trouble with the right channel cutting out and decided to give the Outlaw a try rather than going through another round of repairs). I have a pair of Dahlquist DQ-12s that provide sound quality that places any instrument right there in the room with you. The HK has a fullness and punch through these speakers that the Outlaw doesn't seem to have. Is there much of a difference after the break-in period? How long?
Why don't you call up Outlaw directly and discuss it with them?

R

Robertotron

Audiophyte
I'm leaning heavily toward buying this model. Pretty excited about learning about it , as it's the only receiver I can made tolerate looking at or operating in about 25 years.
I favor it over the 2160 because of the knobs.
I'll be using it 80% to play music off my PC and 20% from Phono. (With a pair of 6ohm Polk RT7s if possible)
Can someone please comment more about using the USB-in to play Spotify & Music Files off my PC?
I've never heard of doing this and wonder if it's reliable..
Someone above mentioned a $200 upgrade to add another digital input.
Can I have a link to info on this Please?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm leaning heavily toward buying this model. Pretty excited about learning about it , as it's the only receiver I can made tolerate looking at or operating in about 25 years.
I favor it over the 2160 because of the knobs.
I'll be using it 80% to play music off my PC and 20% from Phono. (With a pair of 6ohm Polk RT7s if possible)
Can someone please comment more about using the USB-in to play Spotify & Music Files off my PC?
I've never heard of doing this and wonder if it's reliable..
Someone above mentioned a $200 upgrade to add another digital input.
Can I have a link to info on this Please?
If you buying it for the look that's a good reason but may be the only reason. Otherwise, you are much better off getting an AVR-X3300W that often goes on sale for $599 brand new. The output power rating and bench test results (also by Audioholics) are similar between the two. Even if you strictly use the unit for two channel, the AVR still has the edge because of the much richer feature set, and the build in excellent bass management, REQ etc.

The RR2160's USB is limited to 16GB thumb drive, the USB-b can be used with your PC but it appears to play PCM only. The Denon AVR can play DSD up to 5.6 MHz. I have no idea what the $200 to add another digital output is about, why kind of digital input are they referring to?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis