Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 Subwoofer Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Outlaw Audio decided that it was time to evaluate their line of high performance subwoofers and wondered what could be done to design a better product. After a year of research and design the new Ultra-X12 Subwoofer was released. By combining the best that their LFM1-EX and LFM-1 Plus Subwoofers had to offer, Outlaw audio created a downfiring subwoofer with lots of power and a small footprint. Capable of earning our Large Bassaholic Room Size rating with a manageable footprint at a reasonable price makes it yet another winning product by the Outlaws!

Read: Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 Subwoofer Preview

Do you own this sub? Share your experiences with it here.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
when clicking on an image in the article, i would recommend that the image open in a new tab/window or a popup thing, instead of redirecting, most people can't be bothered to click "back"

-0-

article also didn't have a direct link to the product page
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

-0-

looks like a nice compact sub, except that i never liked downfiring subwoofers.

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
Really eager to see a review on this. I previously hadn't considered Outlaw's subs but based on your preview I'm eager to compare reviews of this to the HSU, PSA, and SVS offerings in that price range.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys I was just told by Outlaw that they are running a Fathers Day sale for $579 FREE Shipping on this sub. That's one heck of a deal and a great gift for ALL dads :)

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Hey anyone have any feedback on this , or long term experience. I just ordered one , I'm upgrading from a bic h-100 II

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hey anyone have any feedback on this , or long term experience. I just ordered one , I'm upgrading from a bic h-100 II
The review speaks for itself, capable to audioholics large specification. Should be a very notable improvement over the Bic.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
No Doubt it will be a huge improvement over my BIC H100-II. It's just odd that there isn't much feedback (a few threads here and there with very little replies) since it's been released.

i read all 3 reviews (hometheaterreview.com, audioholics, geekometry.com.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
One happy Ultra X12 owner here, blows the H-100-II, but i suppose now it's going back to it's original localtion/purpose (pc room sub)

i can confirm this subwoofer fills my 2500 c.ft room with ease (opens up to 5000 c.ft) no problem.

settings: sub gain @ 3.25 out of 10, AVR Sub level @ 0db, Sub Trim @ -10db, Max Extension mode

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One happy Ultra X12 owner here, blows the H-100-II, but i suppose now it's going back to it's original localtion/purpose (pc room sub)

i can confirm this subwoofer fills my 2500 c.ft room with ease (opens up to 5000 c.ft) no problem.

settings: sub gain @ 3.25 out of 10, AVR Sub level @ 0db, Sub Trim @ -10db, Max Extension mode
What do you mean sub level is 0dB yet trim (level) is -10dB?

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
0db speaker level (setting , speakers ,annual setup, level)

-10db subwoofer trim (settings , audio, subwoofer level)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
0db speaker level (setting , speakers ,annual setup, level)

That's a bit different than what you said. How did you arrive at those settings?

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
My physical gain knob is @ 3.25 out of 10

Avr is Denon avr-x1400h

0db speaker level (setting , speakers ,manual setup, level)

I don't like running my subwoofers hot .

At -12db (sub trim) it almost disappears at -10db the bass has a tiny bit of meat on it .

This is all temporary, I'm waiting for an spl mic

And will most likely use REW down the road with a USB mic (future project)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My physical gain knob is @ 3.25 out of 10

Avr is Denon avr-x1400h

0db speaker level (setting , speakers ,manual setup, level)

I don't like running my subwoofers hot .

At -12db (sub trim) it almost disappears at -10db the bass has a tiny bit of meat on it .

This is all temporary, I'm waiting for an spl mic

And will most likely use REW down the road with a USB mic (future project)
Didn't use Audyssey to at least level match for now? Audyssey isn't known for setting the sub hot...

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Yes , I'm gonna do that this weekend , but I just changed furniture and moved things around , so I temporarily tuned it by ear . Sounds great for now :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes , I'm gonna do that this weekend , but I just changed furniture and moved things around , so I temporarily tuned it by ear . Sounds great for now :)
Just 2.1 for now? If multi-ch all your speakers are the same and equidistant from your seat? Just curious...

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
5.1 for now , kef q300 L/R q650c , fluance signature series rears

4 seats

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Just 2.1 for now? If multi-ch all your speakers are the same and equidistant from your seat? Just curious...
FYI i had calibrated prior to acquiring and moving around the furniture. i made manual adjustments to distances. the subwoofer i manually tweaked because i moved it and the couch closer. i'll be doing another calibration tonight.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I always love the monolithic look of a downfiring subwoofer!

Issues of decor are often difficult, but that nice marble coffee table is like a mirror for the sound from you center and sure to muddy things and a larger area rug to catch first reflections off the floor from the front 3 would also make the sound clearer.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis