Outlaw Audio Model 975 Processor Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Outlaw Audio Model 975 is a targeted processor. While it might float a bit off the target to be aimed squarely at legacy gear owners, it certainly hits squarely at those on a budget. With a $549 price tag and a number of ways to cut that cost on the Outlaw Audio website, the Model 975 is practically an impulse buy. If the manual is as good as it looks, and the unit works as well as it looks on paper, it could be the entry-level processor for the masses. We know that we'll be putting it high on our recommended list for Audioholics-in-training. It would also make a great solution for those with extra amps lying around that want a decent second (or third or fourth) system.

Discuss "Outlaw Audio Model 975 Processor Preview" here. Read the article.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
This looks like a great product for the money. I knew they scrapped their high end processor but I had not idea this was coming. I will have to look into one of these down the road for the garage workout/bedroom system. I really like the form factor. It would look very cool with a stack of Outlaws mono-blocks.:D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Outlaw 975 + 7075 (7x75W) = $1250 (pre-order and sale price)
Emotiva UMC-200 + UPA-700 (7x80W) = $1030 (on sale now)

These price points are starting to make current generation mid level ($1000-1500) receivers look redundant. That said, a previous generation high end receiver (Denon 4311 available for $1500 or less) will still give these a run for their money in the amp department and has them handsomely beat on the connectivity and features front. (Plus no fear of being an inadvertent beta tester.)

IMHO, a $1000 current generation receiver with a 3ch amp to driver the fronts, is still the best of both worlds.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I very much like the four separate crossover settings. Other than that, I'm trying to see how this is better than (or even as good as) any number of receivers in that price range (or less).

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Outlaw 975 + 7075 (7x75W) = $1250 (pre-order and sale price)
Emotiva UMC-200 + UPA-700 (7x80W) = $1030 (on sale now)

These price points are starting to make current generation mid level ($1000-1500) receivers look redundant. That said, a previous generation high end receiver (Denon 4311 available for $1500 or less) will still give these a run for their money in the amp department and has them handsomely beat on the connectivity and features front. (Plus no fear of being an inadvertent beta tester.)

IMHO, a $1000 current generation receiver with a 3ch amp to driver the fronts, is still the best of both worlds.
I guess it depends on what is the least expensive AVR that includes preamp RCA outs. It's been a while since I kept up with that kind of info.

I still like what the Outlaw 975 looks like on paper and its price. I think XLR outputs and automated audio set-up systems are of such little value that skipping them to keep the price low is a good idea. It may not be for everyone, but its an option that didn't previously exist.

I very much like the four separate crossover settings. Other than that, I'm trying to see how this is better than (or even as good as) any number of receivers in that price range (or less).
You have to consider the actual power available when all channels are driven from an AVR in that price range to the power available from moderately powered (75 to 125 wpc) stand-alone amps. The 975 with a used 5 or 7 channel amp could be a real bargain.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You have to consider the actual power available when all channels are driven from an AVR in that price range to the power available from moderately powered (75 to 125 wpc) stand-alone amps. The 975 with a used 5 or 7 channel amp could be a real bargain.
That's fair, but I was just talking about the non-amp features. It appears to have no auto calibration (I might have missed it), which is common these days. Although more money, a quick check shows the Pioneer SC-1222 for $740 at Amazon, and it has a lot more connectivity and features (auto calibration, three zones, more connections, wireless connectivity, and so on). I picked that one because it has pre-amp outputs (more than the 975 has).

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That's fair, but I was just talking about the non-amp features. It appears to have no auto calibration (I might have missed it), which is common these days. Although more money, a quick check shows the Pioneer SC-1222 for $740 at Amazon, and it has a lot more connectivity and features (auto calibration, three zones, more connections, wireless connectivity, and so on). I picked that one because it has pre-amp outputs (more than the 975 has).
What you get for $740 in that Pioneer is class D amplification, estimated to be 120 watts measured at 1 kHz at 8 ohm. The standard RMS measurement of available power for two channels at 20 Hz - 20 kHz at 0.08% THD at 8 ohms was not provided. So it becomes harder to compare directly to other amps.

What's the price of the Pioneer if you add a 2 or 3 channel stand alone amp capable of 120 watts measured the standard way? And how would that compare to the Outlaw 975 plus a similarly powered 5 channel amp?

Auto calibration may be common, but as implemented in most AVRs, I find it of little value. People say the latest versions of auto calibration are better, I've not encountered one of those yet, but so far I'm not impressed with the standard types of auto set up. A simple SPL meter and a few minutes work does a better job.

R

Ronbro

Audiophyte
Outlaw processor

If there is no dedicated phono input is there an in/out that can be used if I have my own outboard phono stage?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If there is no dedicated phono input is there an in/out that can be used if I have my own outboard phono stage?
Yes. You can connect your outboard phono stage to any unused pair of analog audio inputs on the 975.

I didn't read the manual carefully enough, but it may be possible to change the name of that input on the display to suit you.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not seeing it either, but I ordered one. :) I run a 2.0 video system, and every AVR I looked at with decent quality was too much weight and complexity for my needs. I ordered up a B-stock 2-ch ATI amp to go with the 975 for $250, and I figure the end result will out-perform most AVRs for my needs, but you do have to wonder how this product appeals to a broader market.

J

jdskycaster

Enthusiast
Modern room correction is no longer an option or nice to have feature for HT use - it is a requirement. Systems like XT32 have proven that to some of the most ardent non-believers of room correction systems.

An AVR like the current Onkyo 818 with 9.2 ch pre-outs and XT32 is an excellent example of state of the art and has seen street pricing in the sub $800 range. These two features alone make it a better buy as a pre-pro even if you completely disregard its HQV Vida and Qdeo video processing capabilities.

I was waiting for a flagship pre-pro from Outlaw. The 975 is a huge disappointment.

JD

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Modern room correction is no longer an option or nice to have feature for HT use - it is a requirement. Systems like XT32 have proven that to some of the most ardent non-believers of room correction systems.

An AVR like the current Onkyo 818 with 9.2 ch pre-outs and XT32 is an excellent example of state of the art and has seen street pricing in the sub $800 range. These two features alone make it a better buy as a pre-pro even if you completely disregard its HQV Vida and Qdeo video processing capabilities.

I was waiting for a flagship pre-pro from Outlaw. The 975 is a huge disappointment.
While I am glad you've had good experience with room correction software, I can think of several people for whom it wasn't good at all. To quote one friend, "It sucked the life out of my speakers. I switched it off." I do not consider it a must have feature. Others are free to have other opinions.

Today on Amazon the 818 is going for $1040, not under $800. The licensing fee for something like Audyssey XT32 may be large enough for a small company like Outlaw to choose to go without it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not seeing it either, but I ordered one. :)
I look forward to reading your thoughts on it! I like Outlaw - I just don't see this as a great value for me compared to a receiver being used as a pre/pro. However, I certainly see the allure of the smaller size and lighter weight. :)

Auto equalization did wonders in my room (I've used MCAAC), so I'm a huge fan of it and wouldn't want a system without it. I'm leaning towards XT32 because of what I've read and the fact that it can apply equalization to subs (which is important to me now that I have two of them).

J

jdskycaster

Enthusiast
While I am glad you've had good experience with room correction software, I can think of several people for whom it wasn't good at all. To quote one friend, "It sucked the life out of my speakers. I switched it off." I do not consider it a must have feature. Others are free to have other opinions.

Today on Amazon the 818 is going for $1040, not under $800. The licensing fee for something like Audyssey XT32 may be large enough for a small company like Outlaw to choose to go without it.
This is not just my experience at all and again I am talking about HT use which is the primary purpose of a pre-pro. I also know many that have had bad experiences in the past including myself but many of these can be categorized into the bucket of previous generation or less capable ARC systems producing poor results and long time detractors of the technology.

Other experiences can be tossed into the bucket of I threw the microphone on the couch and pushed the button, why did it not make the sound better? Getting optimal results with anything takes a little bit of time, knowledge and care. You need to first and foremost care about how your room sounds and then be willing to treat it to get the most out of it. Something like XT32 will assist in taking it the last mile.

The 818 may be priced higher today and at the price you listed it is still a great option but if that is too rich for others blood be patient and you can grab one at the price I listed or spend a couple pennies more and snag something like the Denon 4311 from the AH HT STore.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I think a lot of people have good experience with room EQ but it probably depends on many factors for it to be good, such as the specific software, how it is done (I tried to follow Audyssey's instruction to the letter), and the specific room's acoustical characteristics. I am sure there are other factors. In my HT room, XT does not seem to do much with the mid to high frequencies but it does a good job setting up the subs, and that alone is worth it. If you have a near perfect room, I doubt Audyssey would change much.

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic

JD
It was a shame they had to drop the high-end one they were working on for so long that had the Trinnov software. Seems like by the time most of the bugs were worked out there wasn't any money in building it anymore. :(

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The lack of room correction is what disappoints me about the Outlaw unit. Even inexpensive receivers include some sort of EQ to help even out the frequency response.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I look forward to reading your thoughts on it! I like Outlaw - I just don't see this as a great value for me compared to a receiver being used as a pre/pro. However, I certainly see the allure of the smaller size and lighter weight. :)

Auto equalization did wonders in my room (I've used MCAAC), so I'm a huge fan of it and wouldn't want a system without it. I'm leaning towards XT32 because of what I've read and the fact that it can apply equalization to subs (which is important to me now that I have two of them).
Well, I finally got the 975 and got it hooked up. Overall, it is a very nice unit for the price. Good build quality, better than $500 AVRs, especially the really nice front panel. Better control button quality than my Emotiva CD player had, equal to my Tascam CD player in this regard.

There is one control exception that may affect some potential buyers, the volume control on the unit is not very user friendly. It is short and smooth finished, so you can't grab it easily, and it takes quite a bit of effort to turn it. It verges on annoying. If you're the type who likes to use the volume control on the unit you might find this unacceptable. I only use the remote, so the volume control doesn't affect me much, but you've been warned.

The 975 has one of those ubiquitous turquoise information displays, but the lighted ring around the power / standby button is the same deep blue, which is a poor contrast to the turquoise, as used on the Emotiva buttons, and the power LED on my Benchmark HDR. What's with the bright blue nonsense? Some sort of collective bad taste?

Setup was a breeze with the video display. It took all of five minutes. Completely intuitive. Nicely done.

I'm using the 975 in 2-ch mode, driving an ATI 1202 amp, which drives a pair of 2004-vintage JBL E20 monitors. (The monitors are from Sidney's administration at Harman. They were made in Northridge, CA, and sound better than one would expect.)

I was using an old 2004-vintage el-cheapo Sony 5.1 AVR in this set-up, with a Sony BD player, a Roku, and a Comcast HD cable box. I have a newer 40" Sony LED monitor. Switching to the Outlaw / ATI combination was a revelation, video and sound quality-wise.

Video clarity is dramatically improved. I was using HDMI in 1080i mode, switching it through the Sony. Why it's improved I don't know, but it is, and the difference is obvious. Hmmm. It's also nice having ARC on the HDMI output. Yeah, I know, where I have been for the past few years?

I don't know if the audio sound quality is really better, but the ATI stereo amp weighs more than most 100w/ch 7.1 AVRs, so it has to sound better, right? It does, so just shut up and agree with me. :) One thing that is different is that there's no hiss through the speakers. There was with the Sony. Intelligibility seems better for dialog on movies. The SQ is better. ;)

There is one thing that really pisses me off about the 975, and that's this "temporary" remote control Outlaw shipped with the unit, saying they'll have the regular production remote ready for free shipment by sometime in January. They compare the little temporary remote to Danny Devito's role in Twins, where the real thing will be like Arnold. Okay, no problem, until you realize that you can't even sit 10 feet away from the 975 and use this runt of a remote reliably! Yes, I tried new batteries. I'm sure the real thing will be fine, but I have to go for a month with Danny? I didn't know such incompetent remotes were even available in 2012. I'll have to figure out how to program one of my other remotes for volume control and muting use until Arnold arrives.

Anyway, the remote aside, the 975 meets my expectations. Like I said, overall it is a very nice unit. No, it doesn't have room correction, balanced outputs, or some other fancy AVR features, but as I mentioned earlier, it met my rather odd requirements. Just hurry up with that Arnold remote, Outlaw.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If I may make a rec for either permanent or temporary remote, I like my URC WR7 for controlling my stereo, it's only $20 from Amazon. You can learn each code individually directly from remote to remote, and it only takes me about 5 minutes to do it for a given device/macro. (Sounds to me like you don't use a universal remote.)

URC : Retail > Remotes > URC-WR7

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Did they give you fore-warning on the remote? Or was it "surprise", we supplied a crappy remote?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis