Outlaw Audio LFM-1 and SVS PB2-ISD Subwoofers Reviewed

We have been enjoying both of these units for some time now as we tested the limits and capabilities of each in both home theater and music settings. Both have much to offer and present a compelling reason to venture into the "direct-to-consumer" market for subwoofer speakers. We faced off two popular models: Outlaw Audio's LFM-1, an HSU-style subwoofer with single 12" down-firing driver; and SV Subwoofer's PB2-ISD, a hulking monolith that delivers clean bass down to 16Hz via two 12" down-firing woofers.

Both subs have significant strengths and very few weaknesses (mostly due to their incredible value) and we were fairly amazed by the performance of each sub, both subjectively and after viewing the measurements we took with the Rives Audio Pro Test Kit. If you're of the opinion that all subwoofers sound the same - read on.

Read the Review...

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Neighbours to the North

If you want the power of SVS in a package 60% smaller than the Outlaw sub, you absolutely must test the Paradigm Seismic 12 or PW-2100. I nearly soiled myself in the showroom when I heard these (I liked the PW-2100 so much it's in my living room). The PW-2100 is value priced close to the Outlaw. Seismic is the no holds barred price be damned version.

The Seismic has a 1200 watt (4500 watt max) Ultra Class D amplifier in a virtual 14" cube. The PW-2100 is a small 400 watt (1500 watt max) Ultra Class D 10" sub. No musicality lost on either.

I'd love for you guys to test a wider variety of speakers and subs. I don't blame you for supporting the locals (I do the same), but don't forget your neighbours to the north! For a small country we make a hell of a lot of great gear! After all, we're audio pioneers when we finally put our beers down, eh.

You guys love quantitative measurements and proof, right? We were first to quantify good sound (NRC), built an anechoic chamber and do double blind listening evaluations on speakers. We proved once and for all that anyone, regardless of exprience and with conditions in place, will decisively choose what speaker sounds best. I guess you could say we invented snake oil antidote. :)

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Perhaps I missed it, but was was the floor surface in your test room? I read that the LF-1 has spiked feet with supplied accessories for hard floors. I've got wood floors in my theater room and was wondering if I have to worry about this thing walking around :D

Thanks

Mort

Mort Corey said:
Perhaps I missed it, but was was the floor surface in your test room? I read that the LF-1 has spiked feet with supplied accessories for hard floors. I've got wood floors in my theater room and was wondering if I have to worry about this thing walking around
Reference System 3 has berber carpet - fairly short loops. The LFM-1 comes with cups for those not wanting to set the pointed feet on wood, etc.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Sorry to be a pest.....how did you set the crossover on the LF-1...through the receiver using the bypass switch on the sub or?

Mort (who promises that's the last one)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
For a small country we make a hell of a lot of great gear! After all, we're audio pioneers when we finally put our beers down, eh.
Haha, are you a Paradigm employee or a brew master :)

Seriously, a # of years back I demoed a Paradigm sub and was very impressed with its performance and build quality. We will try to cover their products in the near future.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Audiosouse said:
You guys love quantitative measurements and proof, right? We were first to quantify good sound (NRC), built an anechoic chamber and do double blind listening evaluations on speakers. We proved once and for all that anyone, regardless of exprience and with conditions in place, will decisively choose what speaker sounds best. I guess you could say we invented snake oil antidote. :)
Don't know whether you were the first (anechoic chambers go back a ways, after all) but the NRC certainly refined speaker testing to a fare-thee-well and deserves great credit and thanks. And yep, the work there by Toole and others on correlating listeners' subjective preferences to quantitative measurements was inspired. (Surprise: given the choice, listeners of all experience levels preferred speakers with flat response in blind tests!) Alas, such is the delirious state of consumer audio that the Stereophool crowd dismisses it - or is ignorant of it.

Peter Aczel of The Audio Critic once in a review called Canada (or at least Toronto, where the Morrison preamp he was testing comes from) the "Florence of today's audio Renaissance", and also speculated that the preponderance of well-engineered, honest gear from Up There might be because snake oil hasn't permeated your "mercantile culture" (his phrase) quite as much as it has ours. That's one for sociologists and historians, but interesting.

Tangental personal note on Canadian audio industry people: when I returned to audio after a long absence and was befuddled and confused by the subjectivist paradigm shift that occured during my slumber, I found my way to Don Morrison's site (of the above preamp - a minimalist design with stupefyingly good measurements) and his rants on the current audio scene. Intrigued, I sent him a short email. He responded by looking up my home phone number here in Michigan and calling me. We had a splendid talk. Quite a character, in the best sense. I have an open invitation from him to look him up for lunch next time I'm in Toronto. Great guy. And remember, he didn't know me from Adam and I never even mentioned any interest in his preamp or speakers (makes those too). O, Canada!

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

yes, some paradigm would be nice

just to add, canada isn't that little, maybe in the army, but not in land mass. we are bigger then the us, and i think the 3rd or second in the world. getting back to paradigm, you did some reviews in the speaker face off, but it would be cool to see a whole system.

you should also see if you can get a energy veritas i system. i read a review at another online home audio/video site (don't worry yours is better) and they really liked them, and i wanted to know your opinion because you guys literally wrote the book on speaker reviews.

thnx
sheep

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Canadian Paradigm (it's a pun eh, get it?)

Haha, are you a Paradigm employee or a brew master :)
I wish! I'm just impressed with the performance of the Denon AVR-3805 and Paradigm System 7 (Monitor 7v3 mains, CC370v3 centre, ADP 370v3 surrounds and the PW-2100 sub) I bought. I was initially prepared to spend mucho dinero on an esoteric speaker package and separates (totem speakers and maybe Anthem or Blue Circle electronics). However, I was flabbergasted by the performance of the Paradigm/Denon combo, regardless of it's modest (relatively speaking) price, which was on special at one of my (admittedly sparse) local audio shops.

In fact, it was the best sound I've heard from my demo material to date. I fell in love and could no longer justify (read my wife said no f@#$%& way) the VERY substantial price increase for esoteric separates.

Understand our population is 1/10th yours, regardless of geography (80% of which is uninhabitable unless you're a masochist) meaning we have roughly 1/10th the selection. Much of the equipment reviewed on this site and others are unavailable to us (even in the T dot O) :( . Sure you can get anything up here if you really want, but you pay through the nose with brokerage fees, shipping, duty (so much for free trade) and taxes. So we get mostly local manufacturers (which just happen to be world class), high end UK gear (I'm not sure why) or the mass market stuff. Makes the buying decision pretty simple.

Without stirring the political pot, I sure hope Mr. Martin (our current rich lawyer from Quebec leader of the land) and John Kerry (uh...I mean George W.) get along. We love you guys! We just feel like the girl you slept with drunk at the party and never called! :) American audio for Canadian beef anyone? Good deal eh! :D

T

Tee-HTF

Audioholic Intern
Reveiw

I'm glad you guys finally got around to reviewing an SVS product, and will help displace some of the they are all hype. SVS other offerings (Plus & Ultra series) are great too. The Outlaw sub performed just as i thought it would, "outstanding" since HSU helped with the design. Good job guys!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Looks like things have changed a lot over the last six or seven years in the cheap sub arena. Back then you'd have trouble finding a decent sub under $600, now there are several. This is a good thing! :D

I'd like to hear the SVS's someday, but since I've already got two TN-1220's, I'm not really "in the market."

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This came at quite a surprise to me as well. It seems Outlaw has a killer sub on their hands and SVS truly deserves the reputation it has garnered.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Rob Babcock said:
Looks like things have changed a lot over the last six or seven years in the cheap sub arena. Back then you'd have trouble finding a decent sub under $600, now there are several. This is a good thing! :D
You can correctly add "small" to the above and it's still a true statement (well, maybe fewer good, cheap and small, but still...). Which makes it a GREAT thing! Like I've said before: with the choice of good affordable gear out there these days it's an audio golden age and seems to be only getting better - if you don't fall for the high-end tweako B.S.

By the way, the Outlaw would fit into my room nicely. And my birthday is in September. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis