M

mspivy

Enthusiast
Anyone have suggestions on what speakers I should be looking at for using on a covered patio? I'm thinking of something that can be mounted up in the corners of the patio but don't really know what qualities I should be looking for.....other than weather resistance. Any input at all would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Mike

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
look for something with a decently sized tweeter, at least an inch but not more than two and a half inches and look for a driver that's about 5 inches and no more than 6 1/2 inches. If you get too big a driver, you miss alot of midrange.

decent models include the Infinity Outrigger and Outrigger Jr and Polk Audio Atrium 140. you also need to look at the weight for what you have to support. some speakers weigh 15 to 20 pounds each...

one last thing.. Yamaha makes some really good outdoor speakers, but they are 6 ohm rather than the normal 8 ohm, so you need to check if your receiver will drive them.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm using Niles OS 10's on my patio and am very happy with them. Surprisingly strong bass and the quality of construction seems to be very good. I'd also look at Boston Acoustics and Klipsch as well. I had a chance to buy a pair of Boston Acoustics of similar specs to the Niles I purchased for $100 less but didn't. I wish I had as I'm not doing any critical listening and I'm sure the BA's would have done a similar job for less money. :eek: But it sure is nice having some quality sounds available on the patio. :)

http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_1202.htm

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sonance (www.sonance.com) has a full line of outdoor speakers in various shapes and sizes and within the category you are looking at, have several different models that have a fair price to value ratio.

Niles and Speakercraft also have a good reputation for outdoor, installed speakers.

M

mspivy

Enthusiast
Great posts....thanks.

I knew you guys would have some good input! Thanks as always.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis