Optoma GT1080 vs BenQ XXX

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
I am looking to pick up a mid-range projector to install in my basement office / man-cave. I intend to mount it on the ceiling. I will probably have at least 10 ft of throw room for the projector, so a short-throw is probably not necessary, but would help reduce the probability that anyone will step in the way of the picture. I will be using most of the wall to make as big of a picture as possible. I will be using a separate audio system and do not care about any integrated speakers. I will be doing a sizable amount of gaming on this projector in addition to movies and TV's. I was looking at the ~$750 range give or take a little bit.

I was looking at the following projector: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9D4CAK?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Additionally, I saw several comparable BenQ models, which tend to be some of the higher rated in this price range.

In my initial investigations, I found that the BenQ models tend to have a more natural color and flesh tones out of the box. I suspect that the difference will not be so compelling once the Optoma has been tweaked and calibrated a bit. I could not find any commentary on this.

Besides the reduction in lag, which is not a big issue for me, I did notice that the Optoma tended to be brighter with higher black/white contrast. it was significantly easier to see details in pictures with a lot of shadows and low lighting. This becomes an issue with gaming.

I was hoping to get some opinions from you guys. I saw several BenQ projectors in the same price range but did not see any immediate differences. If you suggest BenQ, could you also suggest a model number?

I have included a picture of the currently unfinished room with the wall onto which the image will be projected. We will be removing the fan as well as adding blackout curtains where necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Bonus Room.jpg

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis