Optimal Choice of 5.1 Surround Processor

Qua

Qua

Audiophyte
I'm looking into different surround processors/recievers. I've been looking at Onkyo PR-SC5509 and Anthem MRX700. The main reasons for getting the the unit is to get a pre-amp for volume control, room correction as well as surround capabilities. My main focus is on music with a movie and some tv series once in while.

I have a rather simple setup at the moment:

• Sony HX950 65"
  • Custom built media center with XBMC which serves as a NAS as well
  • Audiovector SI3 Signature floor speakers
  • Modified industry amplifier to support the speakers
  • Xbox
  • Cambridge magic DAC to convert from the media center
  • 18" active subwoofer

I current bought an XLR splitter to route audio to both the speakers and the sub woofer.I listen to a lot of music, watch series and movies on the TV. In future I might also extend the media center to allow for gaming from the PC.

So my main concerns are:

1. Will the audio quality be worsened noticeably by adding an extra link in the chain? I'm especially afraid that the device will add a constant base noise which I experienced with quite a bit of the amplifiers that i previewed before settling on my current.
  2. Is it the correct device to get according to my needs?
  3. Is it stupid to get 1080p processing device with the launch of 4K/UltraHD impending?
  4. Is it a waste to get a 9.2 device with only 5.1 in mind?

My local dealer said the Onkyo device had horrible sound, but he didn't have it available in the shop for me to test personally. Any advice on the a device?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome! Hopefully these are available in Denmark as well. The website I linked you does NOT ship outside the US. Here are a couple of cheaper options and have most of the functions and about the same power as the 5509:
Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel 3-D Ready Network A/V Receiver | Accessories4less

or this nicely reviewed model with no pre-outs, but you won't need it 135 watts per channel:
ONKYO HT-R990 THX 7.1-Ch Network Home Theater Receiver | Accessories4less

or this highly praised model:
Onkyo TX-NR818 7.2-Ch THX Certified Network A/V Receiver | Accessories4less

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I say just get a processor with 4K upscaling & 3D video. Why fight it? Resistance is futile. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis