OPtical input and Adat

D

dafirst

Junior Audioholic
Hello good afternoon and hope everyone is doing well. I have an Alesis Deq 830 with Adat input and Out. I tried connecting Optical cable through it via my Processor and it doesn't produce any sound. I later learnt Adat is different from Optical. Is there any connector or converter out there that will allow be to make the connection?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What make/model is your processor? Your processor has not just an optical output but an optical in with appropriate circuit to process the results of the graphic eq?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
From my understanding, even though adat (lightpipe) and s/pdif both use the same connector, they are different formats and not compatible with each other. Not sure if there are any types of converters available.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have two processors Sony Ta-e90000es and Lexicon Mc-12. All the optical inputs . The sony has inputs and outputs as well but no sound. Someone said Adat Optical is different from optical digital. Not sure though
What do the manuals say are your connection choices for the tape monitor/external processor loops?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The reason for no sound could be as simple as not having set your ADAT to receive the bit and bite rate of the digital signal coming to it from the Sony. For example, if the Sony is delivering a 24/96 signal and your ADAT does not process that signal you will need to set the bit and bite rate going to the Sony from the source component to a bit and bite rate the ADAT will accept. This is what I have experienced, recording from my TA-E9000ES to a Sony PCM-7010F DAT Recorder. My scenario is just a little bit different than yours in that the 7010 does not have an optical input, requiring me to convert the optical output from 9000ES to IEC 958. At any rate, my 7010 will only receive/play 16/44, 16/48, and 16/32 information. Now, if you are trying to play ADAT material from the 9000ES you may need to confirm from the manual that the optical input you have plugged the ADAT's output to will process the bit and bite rate. I think the Sony's optical inputs will only process up to 24/96. The optical tape input, I'm not sure, however I do know that the tape input and output is all in digital realm, not capable of analog to digital conversion.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello good afternoon and hope everyone is doing well. I have an Alesis Deq 830 with Adat input and Out. I tried connecting Optical cable through it via my Processor and it doesn't produce any sound. I later learnt Adat is different from Optical. Is there any connector or converter out there that will allow be to make the connection?
ADAT and SPDIF use different protocols and are completely incompatible.

The only firm I know of that make a format converter is RME.

This unit would solve your problem.

I note that your Alesis unit is NLA. I have to say that seems a highly redundant unit.

All decent pro editing programs will perform those functions. A good editing program combined with a good DAC interface will do all you want and more.

I like RME units. Yes I know they are pricey but they are just first class, and I think all of them carry out format conversion to boot. I know mine does. There is a reason that RME products are pretty much ubiquitous in well set up and engineered facilities.

I know members here think my strong recommendations for RME products are overkill, but that are wrong. RME units give you back every cent you pay for them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis