Optical Digital question on Playstation 2..

S

Sellncars

Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

Well I'll start by saying thank for the replys ahead of time. I think this is in the right area, if not I'm sorry.

I have a Denon 3803 that has 3 digital optical slots in the back, yesterday i finally hooked them all up. My yamaha cd player has No.1, My Denon DVD player has No. 2 and finally my Playstation 2 has No.3. Now my Cd player and my DVD player all read in Digital when i change position on the amp, but for some reason my playstation doesn't. My playstation is hooked up to VDP which i take it as Video Player, Anyone else tried to use it on their playstations?

Yes i did go into the setup mode and made sure that No.3 was on for the digital optical assignment.

Thanks,
Sellincars

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I believe there is a setting in the PS2 menu you need to change for optical.

S

Sellncars

Enthusiast
Bryce_H said:
I believe there is a setting in the PS2 menu you need to change for optical.

I will have to look into that. I hope that's all that it is. My audio works on the playstation, just fine, but i want the digital audio when and if i ever need it to work.

Thanks,
Sellncars

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Keep in mind that you will never have Dolby Digital in a game, except some intros. Thats reserved for PS3. Even with an optical cable, you'll just get slightly better audio quality via the PCM connection, and your Pro Logic decoders will do the rest.

H

Herr D

Junior Audioholic
As far as I'm aware of, no PS2 title has in game dolby digital surround. You can of course very easily test your optical setting by putting a normal DVD in the PS2, which should switch to Dolby Digital sound.

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
Pro Logic II

I do believe that many games are compatible with Dolby Pro Logic II. You can find the Pro Logic II logo on the back of many games. I don't know if this means gameplay is in PLII or just intros, as 5.1 DTS guy mentioned earlier.

I can't test this because my receiver doesn't decode PLII...my new one will though!

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
actually, i believe some of the SOLCOM Navy Seals games are actually in 5.1 surround...I'm sure that there are more, but those are just the ones that i know of. And yes, you have to go into the PS2 settings and turn on the optical output for it to function

T

twheeloc

Audioholic Intern
DTS Occasionally---SSX Tricky has what they call interactive DTS which changes the output as you're moving to compensate for your movement...maybe not the best game for picking out sound details but I wish that more games were set up like this.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The new SSX (On Tour) has Interactive DTS also and it works very well.

By default, the digital outputs are turned off on the PS2 I believe, so all you should need to do is turn it on. I've been using mine like that for years. Sounds great with certain games. MGS3, God of War, and The Two Thrones all sounded great.

5.1 DTS guy said:
Even with an optical cable, you'll just get slightly better audio quality via the PCM connection, and your Pro Logic decoders will do the rest.
It works fine either way.

Herr D said:
You can of course very easily test your optical setting by putting a normal DVD in the PS2, which should switch to Dolby Digital sound.
Sort of. You may need to put a DVD in to be able to get to the menus that allow you to change the digital audio settings, such as turning DTS on. If you don't put a DVD in, some options simply won't be there. Regardless of that, the optical out still works for all games, no matter what type of sound they have.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis