Oppo without a tv use

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
This is the stupid question for the day. Two parts.
Can I use the Oppo 105 without a TV to take advantage of it in my 2.1 music system only? Set up wise. Wasn't sure if I had to have a tv for all the menus etc.

With that said. Is there any benefit to playing a blue ray disc or DVD audio disc on a 2.0 or 2.1 system? Or is the DVD audio set up for only 5.1 plus systems?

Just really wanting to take advantage of BD and DVD audio disc that I have. A few of the groups I listen to always trough in the DVD Audio disc with the CD's.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I believe you will need a TV for the initial setup, once that is done, you shouldn't need a display to continue to use it. DVD-A will be a problem since they come up with a menu first though.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
j_garcia pretty well covered it but your 2nd question depends on whether you're using a HDMI cable for audio or the 7.1 analog audio out's (my recommendation based on some blind listening tests I did with a friend).

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks. I think I am in over my head as far as using it for a simple CD/SACD playback unit in my 2.1 system. On the other hand I hear the Teac reference DSD cd player would be great.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm a bit confused. Are you physically transporting the Oppo between both your HT system & your 2.1 system or is it being dedicated to the 2.1 setup exclusively? If it's the later, just go thru the settings menu on the HT system and program it for a 2.1 setup and then connect it to the 2.1 system and use it like a regular CD/SACD player on a daily basis.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
OK. So just "go thru the settings menu on the HT system and program it for a 2.1 setup and then connect it to the 2.1 system and use it like a regular CD/SACD player on a daily basis" like I stated previously. I would also recommend keeping 1 HDMI connection on your HT system available for firmware updates, either via a LAN connection or go to Oppo's web site and download it to a flash drive (FAT32 format), to view the status on your TV during the update. I have no idea how good the" Teac DSD reference cd player" is, as compared to the Oppo BDP-105, but if you've got money to burn, knock yourself out. :D

I have the 105 model myself and all the research I did, previously to purchasing the unit, led me to believe it's just as good, if not better, than some stand-alone CD/SACD players costing twice as much.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
I went to a Los Angeles/Orange County Audio Society meeting one time a few years ago.. The people from Aperion Audio were there to demo their latest speaker line and they were using Outlaw gear and had a very small video screen hooked up to view the menus.. I remember laughing because the guy said, "I'm just going to return it to Best Buy tomorrow".. It was a good idea and it worked and also looked kind of cool too.. Something like this might work.. As you can see they also have 4" and 7" screens as well..

Amazon.com : 3.5 Inch TFT LCD Monitor for Car / Automobile : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Electronics

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Quite a few PC monitors nowadays have a HDMI connection. That might be something to look into.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis