OPPO UDP-205 Universal Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Preview

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
THE LEXUS OF PLAYERS? Please don't say Lexus. Lexus with their Endless Pursuit of Excellence... I wish they would stop following me... :p

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
OPPO responded there was no way to do what I want. If I put the DSP in front of the OPPO in the chain then it would do nothing when using the OPPO for playback. If I put it after the OPPO I couldn't use the 203s DAC capabilities. Looks like I'll just keep my 103 since there is no upside to upgrading at this point. I would then 103 HDMI to the DSP. I'll also go from my HTPC HDMI to the DSP and use a Pre/Pro for decoding. Or just go with an Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac and not use the MiniDSP at all. That may be the best solution. Too bad the OPPO, with all that great DAC capability can't facilitate room correction in digital. That is really a missing feature in my book.
In post#24 you mentioned the 205, now the 203. The 203 does not have the top of the line ESS Sabre DAC, it has the same AKM DAC found in mid range D&M AVRs.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've had the UDP205 unit for about 5 months now.

I've never had an Opp universal player before. I did hear the 203 in a local store (they did not have a 205 on the floor) but it wouldn't be just to draw any comparison to the 205 based on that. I'll that to the folks at AH.

I bought the 205 largely for the acclaimed audio performance. Like many, I was waiting on the pro reviews to start coming in. Gene and his crew are well respected, but I had enough good vibes from what feedback was out there to take the leap.

The 205 is replacing an old, but highly respected CD player. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotel-RDD-980-And-RDP-980-High-End-CD-Transport-DAC-Very-Rare-/222465209788

This is strictly audio based.

I did some A/B comparisons with this unit before finally retiring the RDD980/RDP980.

My system is in the signature. I connected the Oppo via a 2.0 rated HDMI cable to the Blu Ray input, the dedicated 2 channel via RCA to the CD input, and 5.1 analog input on the pre pro. And I would swamp the Rotel in the CD input. Nothing special on the interconnects, double shielded with rubber coating Fospower cables from Amazon.

CD input...I played about 5 CDs, some that I've played many many times on the Rotel. The Rotel performed well as it always has, but the 205 exhibited more detail, more bass, punchier. Vocals are little more front and center. I think new high quality DACs vs 20 yr old high quality DACs was the difference.

Media Player input...on the pre pro you can select the input connection...HDMI or Stereo (from the 6.1 analog input)...to be honest some music actually sounds better via the HDMI connection, particularly streaming itunes files...FLAC, not so much.

Dedicated 2 ch vs 7.1 2ch downmix...The Oppo representative indicated both the 6.1 and dedicated 2ch analog circuitry each have the same DAC (ESS ES9038PRO Sabre Pro) and there is no difference in SQ. I've heard others (pro reviewers and owners) say the dedicated circuitry is "better". My ears tell me the dedicated connection sounds richer, more meaty on the bottom, the 7.1 2 ch downmix sound more airy. Maybe it's placebo...I'd be interested to hear if Gene & crew discern a difference.

SACD...simply outstanding.

I also heard the Cambridge Audio CXU player...again, it was not an A/B type demo so I can't offer a comparison in that way, but I'll conclude my review by saying, if music detail means a great deal to you, the 205 is worth the money.

D

donald harvey

Audiophyte
@2channel lover
I similar to you, am replacing my Rotel 990 and i am probably going to replace it with the Oppo 205. It will also replace my Pioneer DV-47A that I used for SACD and DVDA, and my Samsung 8500 4K blue ray player.
Have you used the HDMI for multi channel music (SACD) vs the 7.1 analog outputs? I wonder if I can use the audio ONLY HDMI for SACD'S and and the other HDMI for Blue ray?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

When they say "Universal blah-blah-blah' player, does it mean it will play ALL discs from all regions of the world? As we all know DVD and Blu-Ray discs have region coding for the country / area of the world they are marketed in.

2channel lover

@2channel lover
I similar to you, am replacing my Rotel 990 and i am probably going to replace it with the Oppo 205. It will also replace my Pioneer DV-47A that I used for SACD and DVDA, and my Samsung 8500 4K blue ray player.
Have you used the HDMI for multi channel music (SACD) vs the 7.1 analog outputs? I wonder if I can use the audio ONLY HDMI for SACD'S and and the other HDMI for Blue ray?
Don, if I may...Welcome to the AH board.

The 990 was a great transport/dac combo...the DAC was way ahead of it's time.

Good deal it looks like this one box will replace 3 for you...that's always good.

To your points.

"Have you used the HDMI for multi channel music (SACD) vs the 7.1 analog outputs?"

Yes.

"I wonder if I can use the audio ONLY HDMI for SACD'S and and the other HDMI for Blue ray?"

Yes.

I use 3 connection points from the 205 to the pre/pro
  • ...analog1, dedicated stereo, to CD on pre/pro defaults to 1 of 2 Sabre pro DACs
  • ...analog2, 7.1, to network media player on pre/pro, defaults to 2 of 2 Sabre pro DACs
  • ...hdmi1 main, network media player on pre/pro
The HDMI audio only connection does have some added features for audio...an improved hdmi clock, and jitter free stability. This link I think I will connect my laptop to the 205 because I think the Asynch USB DAC terminates at the dedicated stereo DAC, if so, it won't process a multi-channel signal.

For you, I'm wondering why you would buy the 205? If your intention is to use the HDMI connections for Bluray and the HDMI Audio only for SACDs (nothing wrong with either of those choices btw) you're spending an awful lot of money on analog connections (the audio upgrade platform of the 205) that it doesn't seem like you'd be using.

Yes, the 205 does get the HDMI audio only upgrades just mentioned, but I don't know it that's enough to tip the scales to the 205's $750 premium.

2channel lover

When they say "Universal blah-blah-blah' player, does it mean it will play ALL discs from all regions of the world? As we all know DVD and Blu-Ray discs have region coding for the country / area of the world they are marketed in.
Nope...the standard players won't do that...but for some extra coin...they will get you a machine that can.

D

donald harvey

Audiophyte
I have been doing a lot of reading on the Oppo, and I will be using the 7.1 analog outputs for multichannel music and the 2 rca or balanced outputs for 2 channel to take advantage of the DAC chip set in the Oppo, and the HDMI for movies/blue ray. that is basically how I have it set up now with my current equipment. now I can have all with one source. Thank for all your advice! I'll be in touch after I pick up my Oppo!

D

donald harvey

Audiophyte
Just read my emails and received this from OPPO,nice to have options and be able to try different set ups until you find the one u like.

"Yes, the player will be able to output all audio formats through HDMI (AUDIO ONLY).

We generally recommend using HDMI for audio when playing back multi-channel sources then using the analog outputs for stereo audio. This will give you the best audio and video for your home theater system."

Best Regards,

Customer Service

2channel lover

I have been doing a lot of reading on the Oppo, and I will be using the 7.1 analog outputs for multichannel music and the 2 rca or balanced outputs for 2 channel to take advantage of the DAC chip set in the Oppo, and the HDMI for movies/blue ray. that is basically how I have it set up now with my current equipment. now I can have all with one source. Thank for all your advice! I'll be in touch after I pick up my Oppo!
That would be ideal...I think I was thrown off when you said hdmi for SACDs.

It's a great machine...a few little quirks, but I love it. I don't know how much it matters, but since I can't go through the pre/pro with the XLR connection...for shi&s and giggles, I might connect it directly to the mono blocks via XLR and run it as a preamp and source and see if there's any difference.

2channel lover

Just read my emails and received this from OPPO,nice to have options and be able to try different set ups until you find the one u like.

"Yes, the player will be able to output all audio formats through HDMI (AUDIO ONLY).

We generally recommend using HDMI for audio when playing back multi-channel sources then using the analog outputs for stereo audio. This will give you the best audio and video for your home theater system."

Best Regards,

Customer Service
Good to get confirmation.

I still have not streamed a MC song yet, but from my experience so far...even as a stereo streamer, the HDMI connection yields a better result than the Sabre DACs for compressed files (itunes, etc.)....

I've also found some bluray concerts...the hdmi connection is better than the 7.1 analog, but that's not across the board.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Nope...the standard players won't do that...but for some extra coin...they will get you a machine that can.
Silly me! I looked up the definition of the word 'universal', ADJECTIVE - (of a tool or machine) adjustable to or appropriate for all requirements; not restricted to a single purpose or position.

:rolleyes:

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Universal refers to disc formats, not region coding.

D

donald harvey

Audiophyte
To "2Channel lover"
Thanks and let me know how the connection directly to the blocks goes!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis