Systolic

Systolic

Audioholic Intern
Is the only real benefit of this player, over say a higher end Sony, improved picture quality if you have a high end AVR that can decode the audio?

Anyone who is considering an Oppo probably has a high end receiver from whatever brand, and most new receivers have the codecs to decode PCM, DTS Master Audio, etc, and the Oppo is just sending the same digital signal to the receiver that a decent Sony Blu Ray player would. So what I'm asking is, where does the improved audio come in if your receiver is decoding the audio?

If you were to use DAC in the Oppo, and send analog to your receiver, is the Oppo really going to decode audio any better than say a Dennon, Onkyo, or Marantz? So, is there any real audio benefit other than improved picture and upscaling quality?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is the only real benefit of this player, over say a higher end Sony, improved picture quality if you have a high end AVR that can decode the audio?
I don't have a high end Sony but do have a BX-59. From my experience the Oppo 105 does not offer much improved picture quality. It is excellent, no doubt, but the Sony is pretty good too. As for the audio, the only high end multichannel AVR I know of that has comparable DACs is the outdated Denon AVR-5805, may be the Anthem flagship model too but I am not sure about that. Other than those expensive AVRs, I doubt you will find an AVR with comparable DAC and preamp section. It is not to say the Oppo will sound audibly better for most real world use. If you really believe the better specs mean better audible sound improvement, then I suggest you go with the Oppo HA-1 and let the Sony take care of the video, CD and SACDs.

Last edited:
Systolic

Systolic

Audioholic Intern
Well, I was looking getting whatever the equivalent of the Denon AVR-X5200W or a Marantz SR7009, whenever their successors come out. Waiting on more Atmos content, 4K Blu-ray, HDCP 2.2. Now doesn't seem the best time to buy a cutting edge AVR.

I was looking at maybe getting something from Oppo at that time, but it doesn't look like there are a whole lot of tangible benefits over a nice Sony. I have no problem paying for quality within reason, but there seems to be a bit of Oppo fanboy-ism going on.

Sure a Oppo might have a better build and better components, but does that really matter if you are just sending zeros and ones? If you use the DAC, is the DAC and preamp section really that much better than just decoding the audio with a Marantz or Dennon AVR?

Right now, the top Sony's are 200-300 cheaper than a 103, I'm sure there will be a similar gap once 4k BR comes out.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the 105 but I have no experience with the 103. The difference in SQ between the 105 and the X7200W will likely be subtle for most people but probably still subtle yet audible (just my 1 cent) if you compare it to the X5200W and SR7009. Again, not sure about the 103 but if I were to guess I would say no audible difference in pure direct mode.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Sure a Oppo might have a better build and better components, but does that really matter if you are just sending zeros and ones?
It may in one respect: mechanical noise. I found the inexpensive Sony that I used prior to obtaining an OPPO to be a little distracting during quieter scenes, whereas the OPPO is dead silent.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It may in one respect: mechanical noise. I found the inexpensive Sony that I used prior to obtaining an OPPO to be a little distracting during quieter scenes, whereas the OPPO is dead silent.
My 105 is in fact quieter than my Sony, but he's talking about a "higher" end Sony so he could be referring to the ES models, that I don't know if they are quiet also. The ES ones would likely be more expensive than the Opp 103 though, when new of course.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a Sony BDP-S580 now, and fan and mechanical noise hasn't really bothered me too much. The most annoying thing about it is load time.
My BDP BX-59 is the Costco version of the BDP-S590 so I now how you feel about the load time, even the turn on time in fact, and it is in fact noisier but not a factor if you sit 10 ft away from it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ones and zeros are a different animal when using the player via analog, which is the point of the 105. The 105s DACs are very good. Look at the AH review - Gene says it is the best measured player they've ever tested. THAT'S what you're paying for, however that does not mean you wouldn't be happy with a lesser player. I have $99 players that work just fine for their intended purpose too, but for my critical listening, I use the Oppo.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
We generally spec Oppo mostly for anamorphic lens installations. This is because Oppo disc players have the ability to move subtitles into the actual picture area. Otherwise the subtitles would reside in the black space below and not be visible during anamorphic projection.

I don't know of any other disc player that can do this.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis